Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

specs78

Ice skates that fit like old Mission Proto Vs

Hey everyone,

I am going to start playing ice hockey and need some skates. I have a pair of Mission Proto V Size 8D from a long time ago that fit great. Any recommendations on current gen ice skates that might fit similarly? I am looking in the 200-300 range pricewise. I am going to go try them on of course, but I was hoping to have a few brands/lines in mind to start out.

Thanks,

Nate

Nate, im pretty sure everyone on here will advise you go to a shop and try skates on.

Skate technology has moved on so much, with there being a massive range of "fitting" skates, also being helped with extremely mold-able materials. Bauer and CCM offer three distinctly different ranges, so I think you will be able to quickly narrow it down if you tried some on. :)

Hey everyone,

I am going to start playing ice hockey and need some skates. I have a pair of Mission Proto V Size 8D from a long time ago that fit great. Any recommendations on current gen ice skates that might fit similarly? I am looking in the 200-300 range pricewise. I am going to go try them on of course, but I was hoping to have a few brands/lines in mind to start out.

Thanks,

Nate

Agree w sss1987: nothing will beat trying skates on for fit.

Having said that, I played a few rec league seasons in 8D Mission Proto V skates (and played club and rec league ice hockey in early 90s 6.5 CCM Vaku Tacks at suggestion of LHS to address my high instep/arch, widish forefoot, narrowish heel, and a few odd bumps). I've since relocated and am now back on the ice.

I've been lucky enough to find older Mission Pure and Fuel series skates from mid-2000s (pre-Bauer buyout, around '09) on ebay that fit my foot shape reasonably well, and considerably better than my Proto Vs, or 90s/00s era Bauer and CCM boots. FWIW, Mission's Amp series ice hockey boots look more similar to their Proto series inline skates. And before anyone flames me, I'm not suggesting that you go on a fishing trip trying to find skates that have not been made in 10+ years, before you first go to your local hockey shop.

Dunno what your foot shape is, but if it's similar to mine, Bauer Nexus and Graf models w/ med to deep heel-instep depth (ie classic 709, and maybe classic 735 or newer xx35 models, or maybe the discontinued G7 or G70 skates if you can find them) might be worth looking at. And although those Graf models are all at the top of their price range, I believe Graf made most of those boot shapes in lower priced models (ie 609, 5035/3035/1035, 635/535/335, 670/570/370, etc).

If you decide to scrounge around on ebay looking for older Mission ice skates, you might consider sizing down about 1/2 size compared to Mission's inline boots from the same era. My feet are approximately 25.5cm long and I prefer the fit of 7.5 Mission ice skates (pre-'09 or '10); size 8 Pure/Fuel skates are a hair too long. If you're in SoCal free to contact me to try on my Mission boots.

Thanks slo_rider. That's exactly what I was hoping to get an idea of, just a starting point. I will look into the nexus and graf lines you suggest.

God, I loved my Proto VS skates that I had. Even ten + years on, they felt amazing. I only ditched them after having the toecap started to rot and chip off where it met the tongue. Not offering any suggestions, just looking back with nostalgia.

Yeah, they are sweet. I am amazed at how many people are still out there on them. Mine are slowly breaking down, but still pretty solid skates.

Thanks slo_rider. That's exactly what I was hoping to get an idea of, just a starting point. I will look into the nexus and graf lines you suggest.

You're more than welcome. Good luck on finding ice skates that work for you, and let us know what you chose in the end.