Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jsp047

Central Coast, CA Ice

Chase was right, needed to stop hijacking the San Diego thread.

Ice in Paradise (name of the new rink opening in Santa Barbara/Goleta area) says they are on track for a mid-September "soft" opening with leagues to start the first week of October. I've been waiting for this for over 10 years and still can't believe its finally happening.

http://iceinparadise.org/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-in-Paradise-Greater-Santa-Barbara-Ice-Skating-Association/133612742116?fref=ts

Had my hopes up. There's a rink in Ventura not too far away. I guess less travel time for you.

By central coast, I thought you meant a new rink somewhere between San Luis Obispo and Monterey County. One can dream...

"The rink will begin official sign-ups in August. It's still finalizing its fees, but adult hockey league fees will cost $565 per 18-game season"

Well, that's California hockey and beggars can't be choosers. Consider my bullet happily bitten.

Atascadero has a rink that a guy puts up in the winter for a few months. It's a pretty minimal (ie in a tent and ice/boards are marginal quality), but considering the location and the lack of other opportunities, it is pretty cool. I skated there a couple of times over christmas last year while visiting my wife's family. They do have an adult league and the guys I skated with seemed pretty cool. I think the owner is looking to establish a permanent facility, but he needs to grow a following to finance it...I hope it takes off for him.

It'd be tough to be a hockey player living in that part of the world unless you can accept roller hockey as a substitute....

Reigning Atascadero Adult League Champ here, no big deal. Haha but anyways Blades on Ice is a fun little league and it's SO nice to have a rink 20 minutes away. Even if it does just use wood boards, no glass and small dimensions. Just glad to get be on the ice without driving 2 hours ya know plus the management does a better job each year as well. If I remember correctly, the first year we used hay bails for boards.

Each year there are more people signing up for the leagues and showing up to public skates. I really hope he can continue to develop and grow the market so we could have a permanent facility.

You're right about the Ice Den Look. I was the Pro Shop Manager for The Coyotes when we opened the first Ice Den in Scottsdale. What a great gig it was!

Headed to my first pick-up game tonight at 10:15, anyone on here going??

How was the turnout? I may check it out next Friday. Two weeks into our season and loving this rink so far!

How was the turnout? I may check it out next Friday. Two weeks into our season and loving this rink so far!

There was about 9-10 skaters with no goalies so we got a great workout lol. They said the Friday nights are hit and miss but the Sunday mornings are always packed.

I think I'll be going to this week's Friday night pick up again, let me know if you go!

There was about 9-10 skaters with no goalies so we got a great workout lol. They said the Friday nights are hit and miss but the Sunday mornings are always packed.

I think I'll be going to this week's Friday night pick up again, let me know if you go!

Couldn't make it last night but I'm gonna go tomorrow morning. Its early but wont be so bad with the extra hour

Couldn't make it last night but I'm gonna go tomorrow morning. Its early but wont be so bad with the extra hour

It was a better turn out, I think we had 17-18 skaters and a goalie. I'm debating on trying to make it tomorrow as well, we'll see how tonight goes though haha.