Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flip12

Drilling holes in holder instead of boot's outsole

Hi, is it possible to add holes to a holder to match with what's already drilled in the boot?

I ask because I suspect that I may actually love my MLX skates, just not their MLX holders. I had an extra set of MLX holders that I had installed on my 703's and suddenly, the same boots that felt so comfortable and natural to skate in when mounted on LS2's became very clumsy and unbelievably sluggish.

I've seen what looks like Graf Ultra 5000 holders with extra holes in them, (assuming these weren't simply ordered with a different hole pattern by the team). Is it possible and not completely insane to add holes so I can mount the Ultra 5000's by screwing them into the outermost holes and anchors that exist on my MLX?

I'm not against having the boots redrilled to accommodate the new holders in principle, but the anchors in the boot lie underneath the lining, and I'm afraid of damaging the interior of the boot by having someone work on that whole mess.

edit: cleared up ambiguity about the holders the 703's were mounted on.

No Icing did that to add Custom + to a pair of pro stock CCM Vector Pros that I had years back and it worked out. I never had any problems.

Looking at the two hole patterns side by side, I think I was too generous in the amount of mounting surface left undrilled on the Ultra 5000 holders. There isn't that much room at the front and the back to drill all new holes and not risk getting too close to the edge. That's just my guess though, I'd have to take it to a skate tech to get a properly informed opinion. Also, looking at the surface of the Graf holders, it appears they are simply drilled in the plastic after it's been formed. I had originally guessed they might be part of the mould. I guess I can see where moulding the holes into the holder might be prohibitively expensive.