Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
iammerson

Easton Mako 2

Player Background: A League adult league. Play minimum two times a week. I am 6'0 185 lbs. I have had the skates for over a year.

Fit: directly out of the box the skate is very uncomfortable before you bake it obviously. Problem with not being able to experience the skates best feature is it makes it hard for you to commit at such a high price. All I can say is once you commit to baking the skates the fit will be like nothing you have ever experienced before. I have always been a player that insists of having very tight skates to the point of almost cUtting off circulation. I would re tie my skates between periods sometimes twice to keep the preferred tightness on previous skates. With the Makos II it was definitely a game changer. I only have to tie the top two eye lets tight. The way the skate forms to your foot after baking it so good you do not have to mess with anything else. The Mako II offer exceptional support and stiffness that has held up over a year. Break in time for me was less then a period that's how amazing the feel of these skates are. The tongue is thicker then skates I have had in the past which I think is wonderful and further provides protection from lace bite which I have yet to experience with these skates. It is a higher volume then usual so I would take that into consideration when going through the sizing process.Fit Grade: 10/10

Holder/Runner: This was the biggest thing to get used to for me. The forward pitch was definitely something new to experience. Again after using the skates for over a year I have to say the pitch is a little to aggressive for me but I only say that because I am a defenseman who is constantly in transition from backwards to forward. I did end up recently getting the skates profiled to alleviate some of the pitch and have been very happy with the result. I would only recommend this if you are a defenseman because like I said with some much steel on the back of the skate every once and awhile I found my skate getting caught when transitioning from forward to backward skating. I find the runner itself to be a little softer then other brands at this price point. For me all that really meant was I had to sharpen my skates a little more often than usual which is not a big deal in my opinion. The holder itself has held up well no complaints what so ever. Holder/Runner Grade: 9/10

Protection: this is where the skate falls short for me. Granted I have not broken a foot yet with these skates lol but I have found that the few times I have taken shots off the foot that it has not protected me the best and some of the shots were pretty weak and I felt all of it, especially in the quarter panel. Protection Grade: 7/10

Durability: so I have had these skates for over a year and have to say the skates are in great shape. Stitching has held up very well except for one little spot on one of my tendon guards. Skates has gotten the typical scuffs and scratches you would expect with the amount I have used them. I have not seen any sign of significant breakdown at all. The stiffness is still the same as the day I got the skates and the comfort level is just as amazing. Durability Grade: 9/10

Weight: I could definitely fell a difference when holding this skate in my hand compared to other skates. Once I compared them to others on my feet I have to admit compared to most at the same plot point I did not notice any bit of difference. Definitely a very light skate comparable to all other skates at this level and price point. Weight Grade: 8/10

Overall: I have never been more excited or happy with a skate in my entire life. I am very happy I took the risk with these skates it has definitely improved my performance while providing me with a comfort that I did not even think was possible. I am coming to you as a player that does not often change equipment other than sticks and can honestly say that if you make this investment you will not be disappointed in the least. I hoped this helped all of those looking for more information if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to private message me.

• Like 2

Another contribution for the people. Schedule has been really busy but I feel these equipment reviews are important to help each other out.

About Me: I've graduated from the original Mako skates and overall was impressed enough to stay with Easton and use the Mako II's (my only pair of skates now).

Player Specs: 5' 11"....210 lbs....Men's B league...Forward/Defenseman

Size: 9.5D

Playing time: I play for one team (I was playing with 2 until we folded for Fall/Winter '17). I coach two teams but only can make practices for the travel team (1-2 practices per week). I participate in pickup hockey/Shinny USA (1-2 ice sessions per week). I officiate youth (travel and scholastic), Juniors (Tier III), ACHA and adult league (??? games a week haha). Safe to say I'm on the ice a lot, eh?

Usage: Since April 2016.

Aesthetics: Big fan of how the Mako II looks! The originals weren't pleasant to the eye at all haha. These one look sleek and professional. I'm glad Easton made skates that I felt comfortable wearing not matter what my current position/role is anytime I step on the ice.  10/10

Blade/Holder: I've swapped out the CXN/ES4 stock combo for the LS Tuuk/LS4 pair. Love addition but since isn't OEM for the Mako IIs, I'll pass on any grade/review. *N/A

Fit & Break-in Period: With my first pair of Makos, I loved the fit, post-bake. So when I had a chance to upgrade to the Mako IIs, I felt no need to change from my 9.5D sizing. That was a mistake haha. It took me months to break these bad boys in (while I felt at home after one skate with my original Makos). I have to imagine this is due to the reinforced boot? (Sorry for the limited knowledge). I had bad blister on my right heel during this break-in period (which is a non-issue now). It was a complete 180 degree difference in comparison to my first Makos. Now, I still do wear my Mako IIs and will continue to do so till I find a worthy replacement (I really am a big fan of the Mako fit). I think I was better off going with 'EE' width and maybe moving up 1/2 size. The toe box for the Mako IIs crams my toes on both feet for me. My inside arches, specifically on my right foot, didn't have as much rooms as I would have wanted to have. My feet can tolerate them when I play. Officiating/Coaching though cause discomfort that I didn't experience with the originals. 7/10

Durability: Overall, Easton has improved in this area. My boot has held up MUCH better than my first pair of Makos. Considering that I'm not a light gut AND these are my only pair of skates, I'm impressed on the boot's ability to weather wear and tear. Only at my right inside arch is the noticeable cracking/peeling of the boot's material. The stock rivets will still come out easily but I've had cooper rivets put in as replacements.  9/10

Performance: No complaints here. The aggressive stance suits my skating style. The skate breaths well. There hasn't been anything to date that has compromised the way I've expected this skate to perform. 10/10

Weight: Similar to the original Makos, they aren't the lightest skates but they do the trick. With snug fit and the LS Tuuks, I don't have any issues when it comes to weight. 10/10

Overall: I was a fan of this Easton skate before I got the Mako II and it hasn't changed since. I put it on myself for not looking for a better fitting pair of Mako II's so I can't blame Easton for that. I like what Easton has done with this second addition of the Mako skate. Who knows what the future will hold. What I do know is that I would buy the Mako II again and recommend these to anyone. Enjoy. 46/50 = 9.2/10