Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wwmoon85

Easton Stealth Question

i think wat HKY GURU was saying about how a shaft flexes wasn't directed at how a shaft feels when you flex it, but rather, technically how much force a shaft can withstand. a shaft is basically like a lever with your bottom hand being the fulcrum, and the farther the input force (your top hand and the ice) is from the fulcrum, the more the force is multiplied, increasing the net force and that's what you feel when you cut down a stick, your force is being less multiplied because it's closer to the fulcrum.

HKY GURU probably meant that the amount a shaft will flex when a force is applied at a specific spot will not change provided the same net force is applied

The specific post was asking about if the composite end plug on a Stealth can be cut, which turned into guru suggesting that you just cut down the shaft.

bfletcher - "I was just wondering if the composite end plugs on Stealths can be cut cleanly, or if I will need to replace it with a wood plug. I only need to cut it down an inch. Has anyone tried this yet?"

HKY GURU - "Why not just take out the plug, cut the shaft a bit shorter and re-insert the plug? ----GURU----"

top_shelf_24 - "the only downside to that is that it would make the stick more stiff. but, if you only want to cut off an inch, go with GURU's suggestion"

HKY GURU - "The flex of an Easton composite is built into the stick. The design and orientation of the plys have a far greater influence on the stiffness than does length. By cutting the stick down a few inches will have no detectable effect on the play stiffness. This is not the case for a constant flex wood product or a low-end pultruded composite shaft. ----GURU----"

Wouldn't that be false? The theory of 4 flex for every inch...Especially when talking about quality of high end shafts? That is an incorrect theory, right? I take Guru's word for this one.

Maybe, there is a lot chances that the theory is not true, but I don't have an idea.

The only reason it'd get stiffer is because you'd have less leverage. Here's a way to test it out- try flexing a shaft as you normally would, then try flexing it with your top hand about a foot lower than it usually is. It'll be much harder to do.