Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

How much extra lacing cord is in your pads?

I am a user of the Monster products, particularly the K-Straps. These straps connect through the lacing cord with no extra sewing. As one can guess, the K-Straps pull on the lacing cord, which then gets loose and really sloppy. Jeff (the Monster guy) says to simply pull all of the cord nice and tight and tie it off. He does this with his new pads to get a better "S" shape into the pads.

As my new Warriors settle, I can pull a LOT of cord to tighten it all back up. Guess how much extra cord is in my Warrior pads? About two feet. My Bauer Reactor 2000 had 28" of extra cord, my Vaughns had 18". Apparently overseas pads have more extra cord than North American made pads. 

Even if you don't use the Monster K-straps, you would be surprised with how much extra cord you have and make your pads a bit less squishy. I suppose if you like them loose and squishy, don't tighten the lacing.

Found another 24" of extra lacing cord in my pads. I did the outside leg side, and  found even more loose cord. Now they have a nicer "S" curve.

*edit* Five feet of extra lacing cord came from my Asian-made Pro Ritual pads!!!!! Five bloody feet of extra cord!!!!! Bloody fackin' hell!!!!!!

12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don't get it. How does this have anything to do with pad longevity? 

The warriors bunnyman mentioned would likely benefit from this a lot more than other pads (I've used the same ones). They tend to "break in" to the point of being, ah, a bit floppy fairly quickly. By reducing the amount of cord in the binding of the pad it causes it to "tighten" and reduce that floppiness. Think of it as a spring that has worn out; you can cut the spring and it will work more effectively (for a time, at least).

17 hours ago, EvilPepe said:

The warriors bunnyman mentioned would likely benefit from this a lot more than other pads (I've used the same ones). They tend to "break in" to the point of being, ah, a bit floppy fairly quickly. By reducing the amount of cord in the binding of the pad it causes it to "tighten" and reduce that floppiness. Think of it as a spring that has worn out; you can cut the spring and it will work more effectively (for a time, at least).

Again, it's the off-shore made pads that more than likely have the over-abundance of cord. My Vortek had a bit of extra, but nothing like my Warrior off-shore. As you said- the Warriors REALLY benefitted and now have a great S shape thanks to this operation. But as I have said- if you attach things to the lacing cord- it will get loose. My Vorteks are basically worn more like a traditional pad, so I like them floppy.  When I only had one half of the Warriors tightened, they rotated strangely, but now that both sides are tight, it really helped shape them.

52 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm just not understanding the "shame on them" comment. 

I took that off because it was silly.