Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MD56

Labeda Grippers - still best bang for the buck?

Grippers have been my go to for a long time now. Partly because they are a damn decent wheel, and partly because I can get a full set for > $50. I chew through at least 2, maybe 3 sets of wheels a year (skating twice a week + i'm 200lbs), even at the lower end price wise that still adds up $$. So it's got me thinking, are Grippers really the best bang for the buck? Is there maybe a higher end wheel out there that will perform, but also be more durable?  The last "high end" set of wheels i had came with my skates, they were Labeda Dynasty III's, and I think they started cracking / chunking up about half way  through the first season on them. 

So what do you guys like when it comes to price point and durability? 

Always liked the Milleniums more than the Grippers. But, for me, the best performing and most durable wheel I've used to date are the Revision Flex wheels. Sure they're more expensive at 14 a wheel, but I would have gone through two sets of Milleniums or Addictions by now, and they're still in awesome condition.

15 hours ago, EBondo said:

Always liked the Milleniums more than the Grippers. But, for me, the best performing and most durable wheel I've used to date are the Revision Flex wheels. Sure they're more expensive at 14 a wheel, but I would have gone through two sets of Milleniums or Addictions by now, and they're still in awesome condition.

Thanks for the feeback. I was checking out the Revision Flex... I like the concept, but the who 1-side for Grip and 1-side for speed thing is throwing me off. The key to keeping wheels alive is rotating them frequently, with this system it sounds like you cant really rotate them at all right?

I would check out Konixx wheels, they are a newer brand but I really like them and I have not heard one negative review. Since you are a bigger guy you could look at +2's and they are more of a "traditional" wheel than the above Flex. 

Grip is still very solid after at least 15-20 skates, speed has remained constant and durability has been top notch. 

3 hours ago, MD56 said:

Thanks for the feeback. I was checking out the Revision Flex... I like the concept, but the who 1-side for Grip and 1-side for speed thing is throwing me off. The key to keeping wheels alive is rotating them frequently, with this system it sounds like you cant really rotate them at all right?

The setup I've been using is the grip on the front and back and speed on the insides, I switch them like that. First wheel goes to second, back wheel goes to third, etc etc. Haven't had problems.