Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PH_Hockey2

Getting Back Into the Game

Hello Everyone, its been a long time since I've posted on MSH. I have decided that after a long time off, that its time to get back into hockey. I posted quite a bit back when I was in high school, early part of college. Then real life happened. Graduated college, moved to Maryland (originally from Michigan), grown up job, and grad school. Now that I am almost done with school, and the fact that I want to give my nephew a run for his money when he is older (he is 7 and has been on skates since he was 3) its time to get back into it.

Back in high school, I was pretty involved in the industry. I worked at a hockey shop (Warwick Mask and Equipment) and knew every piece of equipment inside and out.  I have also attended 5 Winterfest skates, as well as attending the 1st ever Winterferst Skate back in 08 (I think it was 08). Once hockey started to take a back seat, I fell out of the loop in terms of equipment. However, it seems like technology wise, the equipment has taken a huge step forward. Along with that huge step in technology, a huge step up in price as well.

Now being a former gear whore, a part of me is all giddy because I do need some new stuff. (helmet, gloves, pants, skates are at the top of the list) However, I realize that I no longer need top of the line protective gear because I am not getting hit anymore. So the one piece of equipment I will spend some coin on are skates.

I guess, along with this being my re-introduction to MSH, is what are some of the brands, models that you guys are using and recommend? there seem to be some new companies that are out there like TURE, VH, BASE etc and the old guys like Bauer, CCM, Easton, Warrior.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to being back on here and posting again!   

Everyone has their own preference for skates, the thing you should focus on is fit as there a lot of differences between the different brands and the 2 top manufacturers (Bauer and CCM) carry 3 lines for 3 different fit profiles.

Top of the tree would be VH, a custom boot built around your foot measurement and requirements. Bauer is pretty good, CCM is working hard at catching them. Reebok, Graf canada and Easton have gone. They are the main players. Then you have a bunch of smaller guys trying to get a foot hold like verbero or the bottom end of the market like Tron.

Chester, go see Bret over at Total Hockey Rockville.  He's a MSHer and knows his skates; I've worked with him on fitting customs for his customers in that area.

Glad to see you're back in the game!  I updated your profile to reflect your WF 5-Star.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Chester, go see Bret over at Total Hockey Rockville.  He's a MSHer and knows his skates; I've worked with him on fitting customs for his customers in that area.

Glad to see you're back in the game!  I updated your profile to reflect your WF 5-Star.

Thanks JR, its good to be getting back into it. Can Bret sharpen as well? I need to find a good person in my area for that. 

Skates are probably last on the list because they are most expensive, and my XXX's still have some life in them. Pants and gloves are top on my list because they are really beat up. Does the new stuff for the year still come out in the spring time? That's probably when I will make some purchases on closeout stuff.

10 hours ago, Vet88 said:

Everyone has their own preference for skates, the thing you should focus on is fit as there a lot of differences between the different brands and the 2 top manufacturers (Bauer and CCM) carry 3 lines for 3 different fit profiles.

Top of the tree would be VH, a custom boot built around your foot measurement and requirements. Bauer is pretty good, CCM is working hard at catching them. Reebok, Graf canada and Easton have gone. They are the main players. Then you have a bunch of smaller guys trying to get a foot hold like verbero or the bottom end of the market like Tron.

Yeah, Graf seemed to be fading out back when I was still playing in high school, so that doesn't surprise me. Never was a big Easton skate fan.

The VH skates seem really intriguing to me.