Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GQRDY

Braking in Mission Skates ( Heel Rubbing)

So I got a good deal on a pair of Mission DS1 skates pretty sure they are the right size toes just feather the toecap when standing ( same size as my Supertacks) got them baked, wore them in the house for a bit and have been using them since the start of January about 2 hours a week.

first hour I wore them was fine no pain or anything, second hour started to get pain on the side of my heels, when I took my skates off there was no blister but the skin was rubbed raw in a small circle, did not really feel my heel slipping in the boot at all seems pretty well locked in.

This was getting better have been using blister plasters to protect the area ( nearly healed), and felt that the skates were braking in.But last week there was a problem with the roof so hockey was canceled.Back again this week and the same problem as the first week, first hour was fine but second hour started to get pain on the back of my heels and there was again small circles where the skin had been rubbed off, didn't seem as bad as last time though.

Have not had mission skates before, so will these just take longer to break in since they are quite stiff? any tips on helping them break in?is there anything I can do to stop the plaster getting rubbed off? ( sure I read somewhere about putting duct tape over the plaster)

Thanks

Sounds like your heel isn't locked in, generally because the heel pocket is too wide for your heel and your heel is either lifting and or rotating in the pocket. If you clamp the sides of the boot underneath the ankle then this should help, how well this works depends on how much effort you put in.

42 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Sounds like your heel isn't locked in, generally because the heel pocket is too wide for your heel and your heel is either lifting and or rotating in the pocket. If you clamp the sides of the boot underneath the ankle then this should help, how well this works depends on how much effort you put in.

Thanks, think maybe trying a different insole might help with that too?

Currently have the CCM custom insoles in these skates, could always go back to the originals or superfeet.

It may, it's a simple thing to try. I'd also think of trying something like ezyfit booties to fill up that negative space and help with the break in / rubbing. 

23 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

It may, it's a simple thing to try. I'd also think of trying something like ezyfit booties to fill up that negative space and help with the break in / rubbing. 

Thanks, looking at the  CCM insoles they seem to take up more volume than the superfeet/mission insoles. Going to try the superfeet see how they go hopefully this fixes it.

What kind of socks are you wearing? I used to have the same problem in long skates, the first hour would be no problem, but hour 2-3 I would start getting hot spots. I mentioned it to a buddy he told me exactly what the problem was, I was wearing cotton (normal white) socks. Cotton does not wick sweat away and creates a lot of friction when it gets wet, which is what causes the raw spot. I went to Target, got a couple cheap pairs of synthetic "sport" socks and have not had the issue since. 100% fixed just by switching socks ... go figure.  

I'm one of those people who don't wear socks. But after the first time it was so bad that I just started wearing regular cotton socks. But I have a pair of Bauer skate socks that I will try next session.

Thanks

I tried the skates at tranning tonight with superfeet in them felt like a completely different skate hardly any heel pain ( still a bit sore from last week) buy pretty sure it solved the problem.

Also had skate socks on just incase.

Thanks for the help