Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zjack38

USA hockey icing rule change 14u and below

10 hours ago, MN old and slow said:

I do not mind the loud parents.  Here in MN the loud parents know da game well. Loud with passion and knowledge for the game better than just loud.

You, my friend, are the exception haha. From my experience, the loudest lack the most knowledge. Then again, I'm not from the State of Hockey!

13 hours ago, MN old and slow said:

I do not mind the loud parents.  Here in MN the loud parents know da game well. Loud with passion and knowledge for the game better than just loud.

Too often I see many parents who think they know...yelling their heads off...I'm sorta odd....I do not like to be around the loud mouths weather they know or not either...  cheer and root the kids on & let the coaches direct the kids on what they should be doing.  They need to hear the coaches....so I do not mind manning the penalty box where I can just shut up and watch the game.

I did have to jump out of a penalty box and get into the middle of a fight where a visiting parent went into the scorers booth and started punching the clock operator.

Things can get goofy and with people screaming and yelling...all the more faster than one would expect.

I do get the impression this is aimed at coaches.  Not sure it's a bad thing, necessarily.  I don't know how that will play out if a coach's attitude is still fraught with anxiety about losing the puck or being scored on short-handed, etc.  In my experience, the kids tend to follow the adults' lead and pick up on cues about what is or isn't a good idea (icing vs. holding or making a play with the puck).  This sounds like "asking people nicely to teach the kids to make plays instead of icing the puck hasn't worked, so we're going to remove that option from the equation".  See: “To develop problem-solving skills, we need rules that encourage players to think coaches to adjust their attitude about what's important. Modifying the shorthanded icing rule will accomplish that. Rather than just blasting the puck down the ice, they’ll now be encouraged to skate or pass their way out of trouble, use greater touch to chip a puck out, or even take advantage of a lazy power play and go on the attack.”   As far as skill development/confidence is concerned, this is probably going to make the most difference for U12/PeeWee and U10/Squirt.  I shortly expect in my area to see the non-sanctioned leagues tout that they play with the original rule, and try and attract parents with the promise of "real" hockey.

The big flip on this is...If players cannot ICE the Puck...whats gonna happen...the bench will become shorter and the better players will be on the ice for the Penalty kill.  Most coaches might keep the lines rolling...thinking anyone can ice the puck...

I am starting to think that with This you will see players be limited with their ice time...the FLIP is you cannot have your better players out there for all situations

I'd like to hope that squirt coaches aren't regularly shortening the bench (leastways not in town programs), but that's a good point.

3 hours ago, hawkeyfan said:

The big flip on this is...If players cannot ICE the Puck...whats gonna happen...the bench will become shorter and the better players will be on the ice for the Penalty kill.  Most coaches might keep the lines rolling...thinking anyone can ice the puck...

I am starting to think that with This you will see players be limited with their ice time...the FLIP is you cannot have your better players out there for all situations

I think it all depends what level you are coaching. If you are coaching Tier I/AAA, there is too much money involved NOT to put the best players in all situations.  This rule isn't going to affect players/coaches at that level. Tier II is where things COULD be tricky. I help coach a 14U A team. We are there to compete and playing time won't be equal. The best players for each situation will play. If you are coaching 12U B, that probably won't be the same mentality. Once again, if us coaches hold our players to a higher standard, this new rule won't be much more than another reason for USA Hockey to add amendments to the rulebook. Something else to note: the most skilled players may not play in every situation based on their strengths/weaknesses.

On 7/4/2017 at 0:49 PM, DarkStar50 said:

I was referring to youth travel hockey which is generally heavily scheduled in our rinks on Saturday/Sunday starting at 7 am and ending by 7:30 pm before mens league starts on Sunday nights. There is no curfew on hockey at our rinks.

In a lot of east coast or upper midwest, rinks are run by the town/city and have curfew clocks. 

It will all depend...whats the score of the game?  How did the players perform prior in this situation.  Unless the game is really lopsided it could be seen as the game is too close and we need the stronger skater out there, OR at least the stronger centerman....I guess it comes down to is the coach more concerned about the Win-Losses today versus developing his players for later in the season.

There are kids that just get the puck and throw it away/turn it back over.  They don't maintain possesion of the puck.  This could aid in teaching kids to hold it a little longer...we will see...

On 7/8/2017 at 2:11 PM, Purplefan said:

In a lot of east coast or upper midwest, rinks are run by the town/city and have curfew clocks. 

As someone who has spent their entire (hockey) life in the Mid-Atlantic, any rink worth its salt is privately owned. I can assure you that curfews won't be an issue when this rule comes into affect August 1st.