Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
marka

Beer league hockey IQ

Howdy,

So for all you coaches out there... It would be awesome if there was a section here on "general hockey IQ / practices".  Stuff like the D-zone faceoff line up that was discussed on one of the topics, basic ways to transition through the neutral zone, how to breakout, etc.

It would be even more awesome if there was a guided structure to that, so that important/building block stuff was first, before diving into the weeds on something more advanced that would really only apply once everyone was playing at a high level.

As to "why?"...  I've noticed a really clear difference between folks that started as an adult like I did (a couple years ago) and folks that played organized hockey as kids (pretty much regardless of level).  I've literally never had a coach explain/reinforce 'team' concepts.  Individual skills is easier to get, and that seems to be the main focus for most 'adult skills' classes, but the how to work as a team stuff (is that what everyone means when they say "systems"?) basically seems ignored.  And now that I'm playing a bit better, I notice more and more that what's holding me back is less individual skills and more "I don't know what to do".

Anyway, it would be super helpful to a guy like me.

Mark

• Like 2

in terms of 5v5 open play, one thing you can develop your awareness for is the Dot Lane - its  a great reference point that 'smart' players at all levels use 

production quality on that clip isnt great but darryl knows what he is talking about. he's got a bunch of YT clips that are useful to players of all levels

Edited by 10013005
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

So for all you coaches out there... It would be awesome if there was a section here on "general hockey IQ / practices".  Stuff like the D-zone faceoff line up that was discussed on one of the topics, basic ways to transition through the neutral zone, how to breakout, etc.

It would be even more awesome if there was a guided structure to that, so that important/building block stuff was first, before diving into the weeds on something more advanced that would really only apply once everyone was playing at a high level.

As to "why?"...  I've noticed a really clear difference between folks that started as an adult like I did (a couple years ago) and folks that played organized hockey as kids (pretty much regardless of level).  I've literally never had a coach explain/reinforce 'team' concepts.  Individual skills is easier to get, and that seems to be the main focus for most 'adult skills' classes, but the how to work as a team stuff (is that what everyone means when they say "systems"?) basically seems ignored.  And now that I'm playing a bit better, I notice more and more that what's holding me back is less individual skills and more "I don't know what to do".

Anyway, it would be super helpful to a guy like me.

Mark

That can be the biggest issue when it comes the adult/beer portion of our hockey lives. I think your request is more than valid because there are plenty of players who started playing hockey well after college (last level for MOST of us to play competitive hockey). Hopefully, more people ask more "obvious" questions and us coaches can respond. I'm sure I'll learn a thing a two that I can/will implement into future practice plans.

• Like 1

If you just want to work on your general hockey IQ, I definitely recommend USA Hockey's Intelligym online trainer.

It's a bit pricey, but USA Hockey members get a discount.

https://www.usahockeyintelligym.com/

You could try it for a month or two and see what you think - if nothing else, it's kinda cool to spend some time training your mind like the kids in the NTDP do. 

If, however, you're more interested in integrating 'system play' into your beer league games, that becomes a bit of a different animal.  In order for it to truly work, you need to have a group where everyone is on the same page as far a commitment to the system goes....AND you need to actually PRACTICE.  You can diagram specific system-reactive scenarios such as, "what does D2 do if F1 gets trapped in the corner in an odd-man down situation" on a whiteboard until you pass out from the dry erase fumes, but chances are, the only people who will be able to apply it in a game are those who have actually LEARNED the 'system' via structured, progressive, scenario-based practices.

Just my $0.02...

If your budget allows, I'd look into attending a camp from one of the following compaines (in order of advancement)

https://weekendwarriorshockey.com/

http://nolimithockey.com/

https://hammerhockeydevelopment.com/

It's not just individual skills.  They focus a lot on positioning and team play, both on and off the ice.  They even video tape a camp scrimmage and break down the video.

The dot lane concept is a good, effective one that can work without a lot of practice.  Center lane drive - that is attacking and backchecking through the middle of the ice - works also because it's simple.  The second forward always skates as hard as possible through the middle of the ice to the net, without doing it to get a pass.  Just put your head down and skate as hard as you can to the net with your stick on the ice.  This creates space for the rest of the team, and puts a forward in front of the net for rebounds.  You won't believe how effective that is.  On the other side, the high forward backchecks through the middle of the ice instead of at the opponent with the puck.  If you think about it, you want to keep the other team to the outside.  So if the forward skates up the middle, you take away that area, use a better defensive angle, and keep the puck and puck carrier from getting back inside.  If he instead follows up behind the opponent skating out, he's then outside in a bad position not really covering anyone with the defenseman still having to come outside to get in front and leaving a gap in the middle.  What's nice about the center lane drive concept is it's fluid, it doesn't apply to any one position.  If you're the second forward into the zone, you skate to the net.  If you're the first forward back, you skate through the middle back to the zone.

In the defensive zone, you want to stress taking away passing and shooting lanes.  The concept of the "house" was presented in other threads.  The idea is easy - take away the middle of the ice and don't worry as much about the outside, and you can still cover the outside by being in the middle.  So rather than trying to get everyone to stick to a guy which really just ends up in guys getting lost, you want them to stay somewhere on the line between the puck and the net.  It doesn't matter where along that line as long as you're in it.  Erring to the middle is better than to the edges.  And the idea of blade mirroring or stick-on-puck is highly effective.  Getting your blade near the puckcariier's blade and moving it to match is often more effective than being in the right place.

• Like 1