Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MissConduct

Sprained Ankle..

Has anyone sprained thier ankle quite good? I did last friday, was wondering how long it'll be before I skate on it.. it'll be a week Friday since it happened.. still can't put all my wait on it, using crutches. It looks like a balloon too :o I know it'll be awhile before I step on the ice but I was just wondering "how long" just to get it off my mind. There is nothing like breaking/dislocating your finger one month then the next spraining your ankle :(

2nd: are there good excersises to get my ankle back to %100 when I am able to use it?

TIA

mich

Once youre able to put pressure on it and walk without a whole lot of pain, thats when you should start your rehab. And even for a sprained ankle, rehab makes it alot stronger after it fully heals. If you have one of those round plates with a ball on the bottom of it, that you might use to balance yourself, those are good for rehabing ankles. Also if your training room has one of those compression sock machines, that helps cut down on the swelling a lot. If its a high ankle sprain it might take a little longer before you can skate on it, but just try and stay off of it, keep it elevated, ice it, and try that board with the ball thing. Proper rehab and the right amount of healing time is the key to preventing other similar injuries from happening again.

Hope this helps and good luck with that

Once youre able to put pressure on it and walk without a whole lot of pain, thats when you should start your rehab. And even for a sprained ankle, rehab makes it alot stronger after it fully heals. If you have one of those round plates with a ball on the bottom of it, that you might use to balance yourself, those are good for rehabing ankles. Also if your training room has one of those compression sock machines, that helps cut down on the swelling a lot. If its a high ankle sprain it might take a little longer before you can skate on it, but just try and stay off of it, keep it elevated, ice it, and try that board with the ball thing. Proper rehab and the right amount of healing time is the key to preventing other similar injuries from happening again.

Hope this helps and good luck with that

Thanks.. hopefully hurting myself is done (comes in 3's, puck to the throat, broken finger, sprained ankle) :o

Thanks for the help.. greatly appreciated

mich

Has anyone sprained thier ankle quite good? I did last friday, was wondering how long it'll be before I skate on it.. it'll be a week Friday since it happened.. still can't put all my wait on it, using crutches. It looks like a balloon too :o I know it'll be awhile before I step on the ice but I was just wondering "how long" just to get it off my mind. There is nothing like breaking/dislocating your finger one month then the next spraining your ankle :(

2nd: are there good excersises to get my ankle back to %100 when I am able to use it?

TIA

mich

I sprained mine in the summer. Took me 2 weeks before I was playing again, 2 and a half before I could fully function it. I tried to rush it getting better to play in the roller hockey provincials.

For good exersises, rotate your ankle where it hurts, and when it gets fully better/painless, tape something with a little bit of weight to your shoe and rotate again.

when i messed up my ankle real bad. it was like 3 weeks on crutches. then 3 weeks of limping and physio. then started skating again. i tore some ligaments and such though. so might not be as long for you

when i messed up my ankle real bad. it was like 3 weeks on crutches. then 3 weeks of limping and physio. then started skating again. i tore some ligaments and such though. so might not be as long for you

Yea, I haven't really gotten any x-rays or anything but I may have torn ligament as well. See the guy that ran the pickup hockey I was at was a doctor so as soon as it happened he had me doing tests right off the ice.. pushing my ankle "does this hurt?" lol.. then had me walking and it slowly.. said it wasn't broken.. blah blah.. I trusted his judgement and just came home, did the R.I.C.E (rest, ice, compress, elavation) thing... be a week Friday, still swollen and colorful. I for sure don't wanna rush this. I was tryin' to get an idea when I could start moving it without causing any damage. Hockey is my life I'd rather be out months then having to retire already LOL.. Thanks

Michelle

yeah on the inside of my foot it was all purple from my big toe and it went down the inside of my foot and wrapped around the heel. it was so swollen, it was like a tennis ball on the side of my ankle.

yeah on the inside of my foot it was all purple from my big toe and it went down the inside of my foot and wrapped around the heel. it was so swollen, it was like a tennis ball on the side of my ankle.

Exactly mine but on the outside of the ankle.. lol.. thought something maybe growing inside my ankle.. lol.

Two years ago I spazzed at the goal line while carrying lots o' speed. I fell and my feet hit the boards first. My ankle folded sideways.

Long story shortened...

First doctor said 2-4 weeks.

After 4 weeks, 2nd doctor (a physio, this time) said most doctors say 2-4 when they should be saying 4-8.

Somewhere around 6-8 weeks motocross season began. Up to then I hadn't been making any progress. However, on the motorbike, weighting the ball of my foot and using my ankle and legs as shock-absorbers worked my ankle. It flexed it, but I could ignore the pain because I had to concentrate on what was coming up next on the motocross track.

After a couple of times on the track, I was able to return to hockey.

Good luck and be patient.

Two years ago I spazzed at the goal line while carrying lots o' speed. I fell and my feet hit the boards first. My ankle folded sideways.

Long story shortened...

First doctor said 2-4 weeks.

After 4 weeks, 2nd doctor (a physio, this time) said most doctors say 2-4 when they should be saying 4-8.

Somewhere around 6-8 weeks motocross season began. Up to then I hadn't been making any progress. However, on the motorbike, weighting the ball of my foot and using my ankle and legs as shock-absorbers worked my ankle. It flexed it, but I could ignore the pain because I had to concentrate on what was coming up next on the motocross track.

After a couple of times on the track, I was able to return to hockey.

Good luck and be patient.

Thanks.. so 2 months eh.. that's most of the rest of the women's hockey season. Oh well. I'd rather take my time, then mess it up beyond fixing. Probably why Im not pushing myself to walk on it yet. Even tho it feels much better. I will wait ;) But I wanna make sure I excersise it right when the time comes.

Thanks

Mich

UPDATE: swelling has gone down, putting slight pressure on it. Still sore. Dunno if anythings broken hehe. Is it normal to hurt while the swelling is going down?? It was fine until the swelling was going down.. now it hurts lol

thanks

mich

I'd get it checked out again. I walked around for most of the day with a broken ankle, tried to skate on it, was even going to shave it for a game the next day (to tape it up and fit it into my skates). Had trouble putting weight on it, luckily my mom worked at a Hospital and we picked her up that day on the way home from a tournament so I got it checked out. It was broken, and it definately surprised me because I could more it around very well. I didn't do much to rehab it and they didn't suggest anything, but what really help me was the special 1-piece ankle Tensor bands. Not the wraps, but the slip ons, it increased the strength in my ankle. I used it for games only and treated practices as strengthening oppurtunities.

I sprained my ankle in the last week of November. Bad sprain too, my ankle, the ice, and the top half of my body were all parallel. It was swollen for about a week, and still extremely tender. About 10 days later the swelling was very limited and I could walk with out a limp so I tried to play some shinny, and could hardly tell that my ankle wasn't 100%. Next night in my first league game back, I reinjured it. This happend 2 more times until I had my Christmas break for about 2 weeks. Overall it took about a month to fully recover, but it probably would have taken about 3 weeks if I waited until it was 100% in the first place.

When you are out just playin around, try having your skates done up 2 eyelets less than you are used to. I usually do this in attempting to strengthin my ankles and rely less on the stiffness of the boot.

CWAS if you think about the basic physiology of the injury. You have streached (hopefully not torn) some ligaments in your ankle. After the swelling has subsided you can begin some mobiliyt exercises but do push it. It takes 4-6 weeks for the ligaments to shrink back down and strengthen up. No exercises will speed up the healing processes. By pushing yourself (ie trying to "workout" the ankle) you only risk re-aggrevating the injury and prolonging the recovery. Sorry, but you best option at this point is to let your injury heal completely and correctly on the first try. :)

CWAS if you think about the basic physiology of the injury. You have streached (hopefully not torn) some ligaments in your ankle. After the swelling has subsided you can begin some mobiliyt exercises but do push it. It takes 4-6 weeks for the ligaments to shrink back down and strengthen up. No exercises will speed up the healing processes. By pushing yourself (ie trying to "workout" the ankle) you only risk re-aggrevating the injury and prolonging the recovery. Sorry, but you best option at this point is to let your injury heal completely and correctly on the first try. :)

So don't start walking on it or moving it too much till no pain exsists?

mich

I played on my ankle yesterday. I played goal, actually...hehe. I couldn't drop down in the butterfly at all, it hurt way too much. I mostly just dropped down to a half-fly. I did hurt it twice in the game though, and it absolutely killed for about 2 minutes each time, but then it was ok.

Today it's feeling okay.....still a little sore, but I can walk without limping and can put all my weight on it.

This Friday it will be three weeks since I initially sprained it....good luck!

I played on my ankle yesterday. I played goal, actually...hehe. I couldn't drop down in the butterfly at all, it hurt way too much. I mostly just dropped down to a half-fly. I did hurt it twice in the game though, and it absolutely killed for about 2 minutes each time, but then it was ok.

Today it's feeling okay.....still a little sore, but I can walk without limping and can put all my weight on it.

wow.. hehe.. your brave.. lol.. my ankle still hurts when I move it the way i twisted it left foot turned left.. thats kills.. I can put slight-moderate pressure on tippy toes and then I start to feel pain in front arch. Pushing on heal sends a shock like pain through my leg.. foot/ankle. I can put SLIGHT pressure on whole foot at one time. I am not pushing this. LOL I hate pain!!!! :D

I played on my ankle yesterday.  I played goal, actually...hehe.  I couldn't drop down in the butterfly at all, it hurt way too much.  I mostly just dropped down to a half-fly.  I did hurt it twice in the game though, and it absolutely killed for about 2 minutes each time, but then it was ok. 

wow.. hehe.. your brave.. lol.. my ankle still hurts when I move it the way i twisted it left foot turned left.. thats kills.. I can put slight-moderate pressure on tippy toes and then I start to feel pain in front arch. Pushing on heal sends a shock like pain through my leg.. foot/ankle. I can put SLIGHT pressure on whole foot at one time. I am not pushing this. LOL I hate pain!!!! :D

if you hate pain, then you will probably hate to hear that your injury is just tip of the ice berg. You just wait until you are older and then you will start feeling the arthristis/rheumistism pain from your injuries especially when the weather suddenly changes. When its raining I feel nagging pains in the injured areas :(

well this is just my opinion, but I am pretty sure Gretzky and Wendel Clark will agree with me.

I played on my ankle yesterday.  I played goal, actually...hehe.  I couldn't drop down in the butterfly at all, it hurt way too much.  I mostly just dropped down to a half-fly.  I did hurt it twice in the game though, and it absolutely killed for about 2 minutes each time, but then it was ok. 

Yeah when I do the motion that I did when I sprained it, it hurt a lot at first but now it doesn't hurt that bad. But if I over-extend it, it hurts like hell.

I'm not playing again until Friday (playing forward)....hopefully it feels a little better by then.

A normal sprain for me usually takes about 6 weeks before I can skate again which I've done 5 or 6 times if I get physio!

In November '03 I sprained my ankle pretty bad and had to get an op in Oct '04 and I am still not right. They removed some cartilage, scraped the bone and drilled into the bone to relieve some pressure. Even now its still swelling after any excercise and I'm not sure if Ill ever play again :( Living in Ireland and going to San Diego for the summer so I'll freak if I cant play! Have misse trips all over Urope with my team and cant play with the national team either at the moment.

Thats all my frustrations vented.

Be carefull with those sprains.

2 facts :

- 50% of the damage are sustained after the sprain itself : walking on your sprained foot, finishing the period...

- Rushed sprains wil remind itseld to you FOR LIFE. A badly consolidated sprain will lead to repetitive sprains...and so it could mess with your hockey for ever.

2 advices :

- X-Ray + physiological exams

- TAKE YOUR TIME : better mess 2 month and forget it than mess 1 month per year...

So listen to your body... and to your brain !

I'm sure you'll have great hockey in 2 month ! B)

UPDATE: hehehe.. walking on it and stuff.. but when on tippy toes slight pain in muscle? tendon? think it's cause of the stiffness.. no moved in a month.. lol.. anyways my question is when does the swelling completely go away? lol.. I mean it's very minimal but damn it's been a month! lol.. all in all I stil haven't gotten an xray.. lol.. color is almost gone (cept for toes). Just still swollen right at the point in which I think I twisted it. Think I should wait for another month to start skating? lol

m

I have good health insurance and a fine primary care physician, so first thing I would do is see him. I’d let him examine my ankle and decide whether I needed an x-ray or not. Then I’d ask about getting set up with physical therapy. Self-diagnosing and self-rehabbing can cause more problems than you already have.

UPDATE: hehehe.. walking on it and stuff.. but when on tippy toes slight pain in muscle? tendon? think it's cause of the stiffness.. no moved in a month.. lol.. anyways my question is when does the swelling completely go away? lol.. I mean it's very minimal but damn it's been a month! lol.. all in all I stil haven't gotten an xray.. lol.. color is almost gone (cept for toes). Just still swollen right at the point in which I think I twisted it. Think I should wait for another month to start skating? lol

m

i would say its broken if its still swollen and discolored after a month. You should definitely see a doctor and get an x-ray. Like another poster said most of the damage is done after the injury and from trying to come back too quickly. I messed my ankle at work waited a few weeks and then played some basketball and messed it worse, so take your time.

Hmmmm funny that I found this thread.

Last Thursday I took a nasty spill into the boards while playing a pickup game. Went left foot first.

My ankle was swollen pretty bad for the first 3 days, hurt to walk on it but I was able to rotate it with ease.

Now, a week and a day later I'm able to walk on it without a problem, go up and down the stairs in my apartment without pain...

swelling has gone down ALOT.

I have a league game next Sunday (a little more then a week from today) but after reading some posts here I am a little nervous of getting back on skates.

:(