Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
BTSyndrome

Skate comparison info help

Hello all,

I'm new (4 1/2 months) into skating and hockey, so I don't have the knowledge of last generation equipment.

Right now I have the 2018 CCM tacks 9070 skates... Love the fit & feel (but in a 1/2 size to big) I do have SB Black steel on them.

These... https://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-skates/ice-hockey-skates-senior/ccm-hockey-skates-tacks-9070-sr.html

What I would like your opinion on is, Would the 2016 Ultra Tacks be a step / steps up and better skate then my current ones? Or has the technology over the last two years get them closer to a push.

Looking at... https://www.hockeymonkey.com/equipment/hockey-skates/ice-hockey-skates-senior/ccm-hockey-skates-ultra-tacks-sr.html

(Sale code) I can get them for the same price, I don't mind getting something that is 2 years old if they are a better skate. 

This is assuming that they both have the exact same dimensions, fit, and feel per same size since they are both in the Tacks line... The Ultras are just a nicer material (carbon) construction, stiffer boot, I assume?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Which one would you pick given the choice?

Matt

33 minutes ago, BTSyndrome said:

This is assuming that they both have the exact same dimensions, fit, and feel per same size since they are both in the Tacks line... The Ultras are just a nicer material (carbon) construction, stiffer boot, I assume?

I don't have any specific knowledge, but generally speaking, you can't count on skates having the exact same fit from generation to generation. Sometimes, the differences are minimal. Other times, the differences may be dramatic. Higher end skates are higher end for a reason. The materials tend to be lighter, the boots are yes stiffer, but also, the internal liner will generally be made of better material, and the steel may be better too. Maybe check out youtube for reviews on the skates. You can usually suss out information from there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, puckpilot said:

you can't count on skates having the exact same fit from generation to generation. 

Maybe check out youtube for reviews on the skates.

That's what I'm worried about the most, that they will not be about the same fit. I know I should "try a bunch on" but other than my LHS@ the rink (that doesn't carry anything higher than a $300 skate & normally Sz 10 or less) The closest real hockey store is a 5+ hour drive away.

I have researched a ton online for the Ultra's but they just don't get mentioned nearly as much since they came out the same time as the one-piece Super Tack's, that have been reviewed everywhere.

Worst case, they don't fit, I just return them for store credit or I hold off until late 2019 and get a custom pair made just for me... But again, I'm 5 hours away from a store with a scanner.  

Thanks for your input.

7 hours ago, BTSyndrome said:

Hello all,

I'm new (4 1/2 months) into skating and hockey, so I don't have the knowledge of last generation equipment.

Right now I have the 2018 CCM tacks 9070 skates... Love the fit & feel (but in a 1/2 size to big) I do have SB Black steel on them.

Matt

This I don't understand. How do you love the fit if they are 1/2 size too big. Don't be caught up in skate marketing hype. You have only been playing 4 months. Going to a stiffer, more built up skate will actually hurt your skating development. I would bet you haven't developed the mechanics to utilize any of the performance features yet. I would suggest getting a proper fit and improving on a lower end, more flexible boot. Spend the $$$ you save on skating skills classes.

• Like 1

I agree, a mid range skate is ideal for a beginner. You can learn your edges, crossovers, stops, and so on perfectly well in a mid range boot. It is more important to learn good technique, and make sure your blades are ground correctly and to a hollow that suits your weight and build. You might want to wait a couple of years before going to a stiffer skate. As said above, skating lessons will provide more benefit. 

I know for a fact that some pro/semi-pro players in the UK wear mid range boots, and if they are good enough for them ... 

5 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

How do you love the fit if they are 1/2 size too big. 

Heel lock is great, D width is just about right, and I have Bauer Speed Plate 2.0's to help with my flat feet. But my toe's are not even close to touching or "brushing" the end of the toecap. The skate just feels longer than it needs to be. Its probable more than 1/2 size too big (long) but not one full size. And my right foot is another 1/2 or so smaller then my left. So it just feels clunky, like you're having to move around more skate then is needed, wasting energy.

5 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

Spend the $$$ you save on skating skills classes.

I have already completed Learn to Skate Adult 1-4,  Hockey 1-3, and Adult Developmental Hockey class. 

Now I'm a month into Winter Rec league and pick-up that has a-lot better players then rec.

5 hours ago, Leif said:

make sure your blades are ground correctly and to a hollow that suits your weight and build.

I run 10' with 1/2" grind on both sets of steel.

I'm a solid 220 lbs with tree trunk legs from the last decade as a cyclist. (19" calves w/ shins... looks ridiculous on the ice! haha)

Thanks for all the advise.  

So you all agree that the Ultra's build would be significantly stiffer than the 9070's I have now?

Update: not that it matters...

I jumped on a deal and got the Ultra Tacks with the chance that the feel would closely match my 9070's. Every measurement says my feet are Medium volume/ D width. 

Out of the box they are noticeably lighter (obviously). Trying them on they have a more contoured fit around the foot with the padding making heal lock more pronounced. (even better) It more or less comes with the same insole but it worked with the shape of the skate so I don't need to replace it.

I went down to an 11 and the toe cap is definitely narrower than my 9070's is in an 11-1/2. I can barely brush the end but while skating my toes don't touch the toe cap, so I now have the perfect size skate. 

After baking they now feel like an extension of my foot instead of wearing something on my foot. Yes they are stiffer, but I would not consider it significantly stiffer then my other skates.

I am absolute satisfied, getting the second highest prior model year skate, (New) for $284 shipped.  

• Like 1

👍Buying the previous season’s gear is an excellent way to get quality at modest prices. As to whether or not technology improves, maybe a bit, but manufacturers have to update gear on a regular cycle so that customers don’t think products are getting outdated, and to encourage gear heads to ‘upgrade’ when they don’t need to. So some of the ‘improvements’ are simply changes to the styling. 

• Like 2