Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Dave P

Blade holder mounting

Is there a good way to shift the blade holder medially ( toward inside of  skate) maybe around 5mm?

Skates are new 1X Vapors.  Re drilling the skate and filling the existing holes are about the only

option I see. The bottom of the skate has just enough room for the offset.

Thank You

Dave

Edited by Dave P

That is about the only option. Or you might get away with enlarging the hole in the holder, I have done this to a number of Graf Ultra 5000 holders but it is dependant on how the holes were placed at manufacturing time (they are often drilled slightly offset from center and if they are too close to the edge you can't enlarge them). No one has released a holder for ice hockey that allows you to move it sideways before attaching it (other than MLX). Now if you have a 3D printer and want to have a go at printing one....

Thank for the reply, I have a machine shop and was also thinking of making some small U shaped "washers"

to fit the recess where the rivets sit in the holder, then slot the holders. This will work on the outside but there's

not room on the inside of the holder without getting into the main body of it and the potential of

stress cracks.

Any issues to watch for if i just re-drill the boot?

I'd have to think I'm not the first person to want to move the blade over a bit, I know

figure skaters and speed skaters do it all the time.

Dave

I'd fill the old holes in the boot first than drill new holes. Less chance of the bit moving around on you.

Thinking you could possibly make a mounting plate that would rivit to the boot using the existing holes (or completely different holes). Then use t-nuts for the holder to the plate. That way if you don't like it you can safely go back to stock. 

Just thinking out loud.....

I thought about the plate, but only need to do this on the right boot and don't want to raise the boot height.

I can fixture the boot  ( some what securely ) onto a mill and offset the holes accurately. If I do this I'll buy a new holder

and slot it to test the needed offset before drilling the boot. From what I've been able to read I might not need as much as initially

thought. Not sure I'd trust the slotted holder long term....maybe with some reinforcement washers as mentioned above.

Dave

The slotted holder works ok as long as you can torque it down enough which is why I always use t-nuts when doing it this way. I don't trust rivets to hold. Backfilling the holes with epoxy or a u shaped washer will also help although it is harder to backfill holes in the holder than it is in the boot, there just isn't much thickness in the base of the holder and the holder can flex as you torque it down. 

Filling the holes in the boot with epoxy first does help when it comes to drilling the new ones. I also use thin copper shims each side of the new holes to help hold the epoxy in place once the rivets go back in.

One of the biggest issues you will face is the hit and miss nature of this. Either you moved it too far or not enough and have to rip all the rivets out again and fill and redrill etc etc to have another go. If you are going to do it you should spend a little more time and effort. Try and get a second hand holder, one that you can butcher with slots. Compare the 2 holders, take note of any offsets in the hole positions. Mark the centers. Take your current holder off and fit t-nuts to the boot. Attach the slotted holder and go for skates, moving it a little at a time as you try to find the right spot. If you don't trust the t-nuts just don't do any hard turns or stops (although this is the method figure use and very rarely do they slip), they will hold well enough for straight line skating and balance drills. Once you are comfortable with what you have, measure the change then drill new holes to this measurement and rivet your original holder back on.

We have tried plates before but the extra height threw the skaters off. In figure the fitter should have a holder your size with slots in it that will go onto your boot, this makes finding the right position for the holder under your boot a reasonably easy process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1