Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
kyleo29

Skate rivet question

How many times can you get skates re-riveted? I swapped out my cxn holders on my mako skates for a pair of true holders with step steel.  I've had to have all rivets replaced once and it seems every other skate I have a few rivets loose here and there. It feels like I get rivets replaced more than I get my skates sharpened. I go to a really reputable skate tech and I'm just concerned it could end up damaging the boot over time. Should I keep the holders, switch to tuuk?

19 minutes ago, kyleo29 said:

How many times can you get skates re-riveted? I swapped out my cxn holders on my mako skates for a pair of true holders with step steel.  I've had to have all rivets replaced once and it seems every other skate I have a few rivets loose here and there. It feels like I get rivets replaced more than I get my skates sharpened. I go to a really reputable skate tech and I'm just concerned it could end up damaging the boot over time. Should I keep the holders, switch to tuuk?

Assuming they aren't clamping the rivets down excessively damaging the carbo or stretching out the holes, you can get them riveted many times. It sounds like they dont know what they are doing though. What kind of skate is this? A Mako? 

Howdy,

Mako skates having rivets loosen up seems to be pretty common.  I've seen lots of mentions about it and I know my makos do it too.

As to how often they can be replaced, it depends on if the shop screws something up during the process, if you catch it early enough so that the holder doesn't get beat up while its loose, etc.

I will say that one thing that helped me was to get more rivets replaced with coppers.  The coppers seem to clamp better and not suffer the same loosening issues.

Mark

19 hours ago, kyleo29 said:

I suggest trying this pattern/combination of rivets.

VHrivets.jpg