Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Joe t

bones super swiss 6 bearings & inline hockey skates

I have mission inline hockey skates that are probably 10 years old (maybe more). They came stock with 68-68-76-76 wheel setup; standard 608 bearings/wheels. I'm currently running abec 9 bearings in them. I'd like to upgrade to bones super swiss 6 bearings because i hear they are killer. I was a hockey player all of my life but i don't play anymore; i just thoroughly enjoy skating the paved bike trails in boulder, colorado.

1. can i run these bearings on inline skates?

2. i'm confused about the spacers. the spacers in the abec 9 bearings have a wider middle section and the right and left ends are smaller where the bearing goes on. Can i use these spacers with super 6?

3. can i increase the front 2 tires to 72mm from 68mm?

I have Bauer Vapor x300r inline skates ie low end skates. I hardly skated on them till three weeks ago, so maybe 20 hours skating if that. They were at least two years old. I replaced  the stock bearings with Rollerbones bearings and the difference is incredible, much smoother, less friction. These are standard 608 bearings with an 8 mm bore and the skates have aluminium spacers with (I think) a 6 mm bore. The spacers are as you describe. I don’t think there’s any point investing in the Swiss bearings unless performance is critical.  But I’m no expert, to put it mildly. And yes standard 608 bearings fit my skates. You should be able to measure yours to see if they match the 608 standard. 

My skates have small wheels at the front, 76 mm I think, and 80 mm on the back. I had the idea of swapping them round to create a 76, 80, 80, 76 pattern to better match an ice skate but I couldn’t: the frame wouldn’t allow it as the second large tyre rubbed against a spacer. I suspect you will have the same problem. It’s easy to check, just see if one of your larger wheels (two from t’other skate) will fit (mark them with a pen if you want to put them back as was afterwards). 

I know what you mean about enjoying skating. I was out today having great fun on country lanes. I was verbally abused once (first time ever) but hey, some folks have problems inside their heads 🤪

Edited by Leif

10 hours ago, Joe t said:

3. can i increase the front 2 tires to 72mm from 68mm?

Unfortunately not. 1: 72mm wont fit in the space, they will rub against each other and the boot. 2: Even if you could fit them, this is a hi lo setup designed for the wheels you have. Adding 4mm to the front 2 will cause the 3rd wheel to lose contact with the ground. If you made the front 2 72mm, you would have to make the back 2 80mm (and run into the same problem for space as the front).

If you want to go larger wheels you need to change the frame.

In relation to the bearings, I use them and really like them.

I had bones swiss ceramics which broke pretty quickly under my weight so I replaced them with these.

Standard bones quality but with the same principle as a minimiser bearing without compromising size/strength.