Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ryan16

inline skates for heavy skater

i have a pair of bauer RSX, i ordered them online and played 1 game... 15 mins in i broke the rivots on the heel. I sent them back and got the skates replaced and had copper rivots put in. I am 6'6" and 250lbs.  I got the skates back and they worked well for a while until i bent the chassis on them, anyone know of a better skate with a more durable chassis for heavier skaters?

Most low end inline skates have a two piece chassis. You have to jump up to mid-range skates to get a more durable one piece chassis. If you were smaller, I'd say you could buy an aftermarket chassis (Marsblade, Sprung, HiLo depending on your preference) and mount them on those boots, but low end boots won't last long at your size.

I believe the RSX skates use the Supreme last; so do Mission Inhaler skates. So if you like the fit of the RSX skates then you could look for Mission Inhaler skates in your size. I believe all the FZ Inhalers (the current line) have a one piece chassis, the low end NLS6 of the previous line used a two piece chassis, but they higher end models had a one piece chassis (the lower the number, the higher the model). 

The other option would be to find some Supreme ice skates or whatever ice boot fits you best in your size and buy a one piece chassis separately and have that mounted onto the ice boots. You can save some money, by looking at used or clearance ice boots, but at your size you should be looking for boots that were originally around $400 or more if you want them to last a while and give you good support. 

I've always liked the idea of converting an ice boot for inline usage. I'm sure inline boots are more than capable but I'd think ice boots hold up better. Like @althoma1 said used/clearance ice boots would be the best way to go (assuming you don't have an older pair of ice boots laying around).

• Like 1

Ice boots hold up better indoors. Outdoors, they get shredded just like inline boots.

I agree, though. I prefer ice boots. In your case, it's been said but you need a one piece chassis. Either find used higher end skates on eBay or sls, or buy mid level or better skates. If you have a good pro shop and some old boots in decent condition, set them up for roller. Keep in mind, you didn't say what you're using them for, so that would be a big factor to consider

• Like 1

The boots i have are fine, just the chassis is bent. I use the skates outdoors on an indoor style rink (not pavement). I do not have a shop anywhere near me that can put a chassis on for me which kind of sucks. I looked at the inhaler FZ series skates and they seem to have the same HI-Low chassis that i have on my RSXs so i dont know how much different they would be. 

The RSX and FZ skates both have a Hi Lo chassis, but according to the inlinewarehouse descriptions the entire FZ line has a one piece chassis including the entry level FZ-5. Look under the specs tabs for both the FZ-5 and RSX and you'll see that it states the FZ-5 has a one piece aluminum frame and the RSX has a two piece steel frame. 

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Mission_Inhaler_FZ-5/descpage-MFZ5.html

https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bauer_RSX/descpage-BRSXS.html

You can mail your skates away with a chassis and have them mounted. The MSH Pro shop offers that service: 

I am sure your current boots are in good condition now since they're hardly used, however; I think someone your size would break them down fairly quickly. If you're going to pay to mail skates away, get a chassis installed and have them mailed back then it may make more sense to do so with higher end, stiffer boots that will last you longer. 

If you take a size 10 or higher skate and like the feel of a Hi Lo chassis this LG Aluminum Hi Lo for $49 is a solid deal: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/HI-LO_Aluminum/descpage-HLALF7.html

If you want a more ice like feel for training outdoors then you could consider something like the Marsblade O1 (more for off ice training) or R1 (designed for playing inline hockey): https://www.marsblade.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryan16 said:

The boots i have are fine, just the chassis is bent. I use the skates outdoors on an indoor style rink (not pavement). I do not have a shop anywhere near me that can put a chassis on for me which kind of sucks. I looked at the inhaler FZ series skates and they seem to have the same HI-Low chassis that i have on my RSXs so i dont know how much different they would be. 

So for an outdoor sport court rink. League play or just shooting around until I've rinks reopen? The reason I'm asking is that for a few months you would make a very different investment in skates than if you play competitively or even house league or pickup, where it's worth putting a few more bucks into sturdy skates than you won't have to even think about

In my mind, once you're playing with other people (as opposed to just lacing up and shooting around by yourself) you want something sturdy. First of all for safety, you don't want something breaking down on you and sending you flying. Secondly, for durability, because the nature of playing with other people pushes you more, and by default it pushes your equipment more, so the wear and tear is magnified. Others might disagree, but I think decent skates are a worthwhile investment if you play a couple times a week.

If you're looking for a new skate, honestly any other skate in the same price range as the RSX is probably better. If you go up to 300 you have the Fz5 or the Tour code 2.one, revel3, x2.7. Or for the same price you can get a decent used skate. I wouldn't put another dollar into the RSX boots because I don't trust that they would hold up at your weight even with better frames. 

• Like 2

I weigh 215-220 and I've skated CCM for quite awhile. I had a pair of RBZ's from 2014-2019 playing twice a week that held up pretty well. I just moved to the 9090R and hoping they last also. Unfortunately with skates I think you get what you pay for.