Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
shooter27

Thinking About Inline

So I played a little bit of inline recreationally when I was a kid/teen, but it’s been a solid 20+ years since I paid attention to anything in-line related.  But I’ve been considering getting back into inline, if for no other reason than to stay in shape through the rest of this pandemic.

That being said, I know nothing about the current state of skate technology.  Specifically I’m talking about things like wheels, chassis, bearings, etc.  Back when I played inline we were arguing about a abec 5 vs abec 7 and all the chassis were flat across, so that’s my knowledge level.  Is there a website or other resource where I can read up on all the new type of technology and understand the pros/cons of all the different types of gear?

This is pretty much the best website you'll find. Other than that, look through IW and just read the marketing blurbs will give you some ideas of what's out there. 

The basic rundown is either all 80s, 76/80 hilo, and then Marsblade. Boots just whatever fits you for ice wood give you a good idea. Wheels depends on surface you're going to skate on. It's pretty straight forward honestly

• Like 2

I agree that this site is the best resource.

Chassis: Hi Lo, Flat, Marsblade O1 (more for ice training) and R1 (designed for playing inline) and the Sprung chassis are the main playing options. I have tried Hi Lo, Flat, the old Tuuk Rocker and Sprungs and definitely prefer Sprungs, but you do have to maintain them (and if you want them to last, it's better to use them indoors then outdoors). I haven't tried the Marsblade R1, but would if my Sprungs were shot and I couldn't buy another set of those. The Sprung creator is working on a more durable version called the Fizix, but there's no definitive information on if or when those will be released (just prototypes on FB that have been posted for 2-3 years now).

There are more detailed threads here with detailed discussions on the Marsblade O1, R1 and Sprungs.

Wheels: This depends on your weight and the surface you're playing on. For outdoors on Asphalt, the Labeda and Revison Asphalts are two that are regularly recommended. For smooth cement, Labeda Gripper yellows are wheels many players I know use for that surface. The best wheel I've used for Sport Court is the Konixx Pure (I use them in +2); the newer version of that is the Konixx Pure X (haven't tried that yet, but they're discussed in a wheel discussion thread).

Personally, I spend the money on the good wheels for Sport Court, but just get the cheapest, hardest wheels I can find for outdoor use and if I'm ever on cement indoors I either use cheap wheels or very well used wheels that I've retired for Sport Court use. 

Bearings: Personally, I don't notice a huge difference in bearings as long as they're clean and spin. I've tried Swiss, Ceramic, Helo Quark, Abec 7, Abec 5 ect. In my opinion, either buy good bearings that have removable dust shields so you can clean and lube them on a regular basis or just buy the cheapest bearings you can find and replace them when they stop spinning smoothly. I notice a huge difference with high end vs. cheap wheels on Sport Court, but really don't notice a big difference with bearings. Some people swear by high end bearings though.

Edited by althoma1
  • Like 4