Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Vet88

Bit left field, the future of sport

If anyone wants to have a glimpse of what the future holds for training and athletes, have a listen to the following. It doesn't cover any of his predictions, it covers what is actually happening now in labs and just released and it's quite goddamn scary is some respects.

It does cover other things besides sports but it's an interesting listen anyhow, especially the fighter pilot stuff and the neural interface. The relevant point for hockey is what they did with the US ski team, 20% improvement is an awful lot at that level. I know of a program developed for keepers that tracks eye movement and they have interfaced that to AI and VR so keepers can train off ice in a simulator. Add AI driven neural interface learning and at what point does sport end and programming begin?

The Futurist - Matthew Griffin

https://open.spotify.com/show/4UR9Kj8YtPcT0iLgqWL8tJ

• Like 1

I'll give it a listen, but the last question is a good one.  I love to keep up with training approaches etc. but at some point, and I don't know exactly where that point is and it is different for everyone, a line is crossed that doesn't interest me.  For instance, baseball has crossed it with too many analytics, launch angle, etc.  

• Like 1

I don't mind the data side, if it tells me what I'm doing wrong and I can go away and train to become better then I'm all good with that. It's this next step they have taken that is worrying, I don't need to train anymore to overcome those flaws, all I need is access to an AI system that will reprogram my brain...... Right out of the Matrix, if they can program random people off the street to land an F16 that's in a flat tail spin then sport isn't that hard a step. 

There is a lot of money in sport and this is one of the main areas where the problem comes from. What's to stop a team owner picking 20 of the best "physically gifted" up and coming players and dangling an NHL career in front of them? They don't need first round picks, just the players with the best physical attributes, your team cost could be really low. Then program these kids over a couple of years with the hockey IQ they need and then bring them into your team. There are a lot of players out there that have all the skills but no hockey IQ, now there is the possibility that you can program these skaters with the IQ they need.

This references directly with a question @SkateWorksPNW asked about a young player who has no drive whilst in game, at some point in the very near future (if not now) the fix will be a neural reprogram. And it's at this point, for me, that the ethos of sport has disappeared.

Edited by Vet88