Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Tour skates

What is an instep? I do have low arches. I don’t know if it’s that I need wider, it might just be that skates have too high of an arch. Would the trues work for them? 

Edited by JAY4114

An instep is the top of your foot, above your arches. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instep

I really can't say with certainty if Trues or any other skates would work for you. I think it would be worth trying Trues if you can get sized properly for them and buy them from a shop that honours the 30 day guarantee, but you will only know for sure after you have baked and used them.

3 hours ago, althoma1 said:

An instep is the top of your foot, above your arches. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/instep

I really can't say with certainty if Trues or any other skates would work for you. I think it would be worth trying Trues if you can get sized properly for them and buy them from a shop that honours the 30 day guarantee, but you will only know for sure after you have baked and used them.

What’s considered a high instep?

Usually height is used to refer to the arch - low, medium and high. With instep, it's also low, medium and high, but it's in terms of the foot volume/depth or the thickness of the foot from the bottom of the arch to the top of the instep.

A traditional high volume boot would be the now discontinued Bauer Nexus. Bauer Supremes, CCM Tacks, Alkali and True retail skates are all considered medium volume boots. Bauer Vapors would be an example of a low volume boot. From what Miller55 described, the Tours are high volume and fairly wide through the midfoot, but aren't that wide in the toebox.

If you have a skate on hand, you can do a "pencil test" to determine if that skate is the right depth for your foot. To test the depth, have the skate unlaced, pull the tongue out and then lay a pencil horizontally across the 3rd and then 4th eyelets from the top. If the pencil touches both sides of the skate and is just above your foot, that’s perfect. If your feet are more than a cm beneath the pencil then the skate is too deep and if the pencil can’t touch both sides without hitting your foot (meaning your foot is sticking up above the eyelets and the pencil is rocking back and forth on your foot) then the boot is too shallow and you need something deeper.

All you need for that test is a pair of unlaced skates with the tongue pulled out and a pencil. It's discussed in greater detail in this old thread and there are good pictures in this comment: 

Edited by althoma1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:23 PM, Miller55 said:

Honestly, just get a pair of rec skates. You'll look like a duster, but if the pain is that bad who cares.

Edit- roller is just way better than ball hockey. It's worth looking like a scrub

Idk ball hockey is popping off. The National Ball Hockey League just had its top 5 plays of the week broadcasted on nhl network

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2021 at 2:08 PM, Miller55 said:

I would agree that they are not super wide, but they are definitely deeper than anything else on the inline market. The tour cap is actually not wide at all, maybe even a bit more narrow than missions. They are deep heel and wide through the middle of the foot, but they definitely taper a bit towards the toe. It's a bit counterintuitive because most people's heels are narrower than their forefoot

Is a deep heel and a high heel depth the same thing?

Not here to advertise a brand but a deep and wide inlinehockey skate is Graf G6045 size EE. Made in Switzerland though. No idea if they are available in North America.

Easily ordered via German Icehockey websites.