Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Meta

Washing shin guards

I just got a pair of vintage Cooper SG 600s and while they don't stink, they are pretty dirty.  I'd rather not run the risk of damaging these at all with improperly washing them, and in all my years of playing, have never actually put equipment in the washing machine.  I'd appreciate any and all feedback on getting these babies back in beautiful condition.

Might want to try something with enzymes in it, like Rockin' Green Activewear wash.  It is a powdered detergent that is designed for technical fabrics.  I've bought almost all my gear used and I usually soak stuff in a tub of water and a few scoops of this wash a few times to get rid of any stink/dirt/etc.  Works great in my experience. 

I usually put the items in a large plastic storage container (like you might use in your garage), fill it with enough water to submerge the items, mix in the powder so it dissolves, place the items in and then weigh them down so they stay submerged.  Let them sit in there for an hour or so.  Dump the water, repeat, then dump the water and let them sit in fresh water, no detergent.  Hang dry afterwards and you should be good to go.  

For shins without removable/washable inserts, I fill a tub with warm water, pour in some powdered oxyclean, mix it around, and let it soak. Dirty pads will turn the water brown. After sitting for an hour or two, drain the water, rinse the pads, and repeat until the water doesn’t turn brown and the pads are clean 

• Like 1

I have a top loader without the agitator thing so I just toss mine in the washing machine.  I use Sport Wash (amazon has it, like $20 for a bottle that'll last 6 months) which doesn't have any additives (phosphates, UV enhancers, fabric softeners, fragrance, etc.) and will clean out years of gunk blocking the pores of materials, I use it on all of my athletic clothing and also on my gear from time to time, works awesome.

Thanks for the tips guys.  I got them fresh looking and wore them in a game today.  They feel really good actually, I like the less bulkier design they have.