Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Hyperlite skates… live up to the hype?

26 minutes ago, flip12 said:

What makes you say talent is "mostly a myth?" I consider it one of the "huge amounts of luck" factors.

It’s based on a lot of reading around and experience. For example, I’ve come across a number of people who learnt to skate incredibly rapidly. I got to chatting to them all, and in every case their background explained it. One was a professional dancer. Another had boxed at a high level. Another was a black belt in martial arts. Another had skied for many years. A good example from a book is the case of Kenyan long distance runners who dominated in competition. Someone researched this and discovered they all came from one area where from a young age they ran long distances. Their culture had trained their bodies to excel. When you research successful people, you usually find an early obsession, or opportunities. If someone comes from a family of musicians, they’ll pick it up naturally, they will have ‘talent’. teachers will see ‘talent’ and give them extra encouragement and teaching. Matthew Syed was Britain’s top table tennis player. Most of our best players including Syed came from one street. Turns out they all had access to a table, allowing them to practice huge amounts. 

Obviously you need the right physique for a sport e.g. fast twitch muscles for sprinting, tall for basketball. And you need a decent IQ to do well in academic scientific research. 

However, everyone I have met believes that talent exists, that some people have it, some don’t. I won’t change anyone’s mind here, and anyway this is well off topic. 

I recommend Mindset by Carol Dweck and books by Matthew Syed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leif said:

It’s based on a lot of reading around and experience. For example, I’ve come across a number of people who learnt to skate incredibly rapidly. I got to chatting to them all, and in every case their background explained it. One was a professional dancer. Another had boxed at a high level. Another was a black belt in martial arts. Another had skied for many years. A good example from a book is the case of Kenyan long distance runners who dominated in competition. Someone researched this and discovered they all came from one area where from a young age they ran long distances. Their culture had trained their bodies to excel. When you research successful people, you usually find an early obsession, or opportunities. If someone comes from a family of musicians, they’ll pick it up naturally, they will have ‘talent’. teachers will see ‘talent’ and give them extra encouragement and teaching. Matthew Syed was Britain’s top table tennis player. Most of our best players including Syed came from one street. Turns out they all had access to a table, allowing them to practice huge amounts. 

Obviously you need the right physique for a sport e.g. fast twitch muscles for sprinting, tall for basketball. And you need a decent IQ to do well in academic scientific research. 

However, everyone I have met believes that talent exists, that some people have it, some don’t. I won’t change anyone’s mind here, and anyway this is well off topic. 

I recommend Mindset by Carol Dweck and books by Matthew Syed. 

In this case, hockey talent aka hockey IQ is, imo is completely innate. All professional hockey players can pass, shoot, skate etc. What separates the best from the avg is what's in between their ears. The ability for them to read plays, and be in the right position instinctively. This isn't something that can be trained or taught imo. You can teach the basics and tell someone in this situation you should do this, but in a game situation there are so many variables and there is never one exact same situation. The great players can slow the plays down in their head and read other players and the ice that much better than the avg player.  There are sports where it's all about conditioning and physical fitness, ie 100 metre dash, but sports like hockey, the best players are "born different". 

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2