Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jmaister

pitch forward profile

hello gents and solid water gliders.

I have just started on the 9/10 combi, originally from a single stock Bauer radius. I've also got a pdf of the prosharp template list and visited the prosharp project feedbacks, they are very very helpful(esp. Marka's).

The question  I have is, is there a sequence of profile I should try if I want more forward lean? (like Graf's; i know i know, the boot cut itself is aggresive)

I'm thinking I'll skate with the 9/10 for awhile and then move on to Toronto 1, and then Quad Zero or Zup S.

feedback appreciated.

**is there such a thing, where I could request single radius, but with -10mm pitch?

thx!

Edited by jmaister

47 minutes ago, jmaister said:

I have just started on the 9/10 combi, originally from a single stock Bauer radius. I've also got a pdf of the prosharp template list and visited the prosharp project feedbacks, they are very very helpful(esp. Marka's).

The question  I have is, is there a sequence of profile I should try if I want more forward lean? (like Graf's; i know i know, the boot cut itself is aggresive)

I'm thinking I'll skate with the 9/10 for awhile and then move on to Toronto 1, and then Quad Zero or Zup S.

feedback appreciated.

**is there such a thing, where I could request single radius, but with -10mm pitch?

thx!

If you like the profile but want more pitch forward, then just add pitch to the current 9/10

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:09 PM, jmaister said:

feedback appreciated.

thx!

If you feel like you are getting pushed forward and tripping over your skates, you would want negative pitch. If you feel like you are getting pushed backwards and can't hold a deep forward tuck like a speed skater, then you would want positive pitch.

If you feel balanced, but want to make deeper/faster turns and doing choppy/quick east-west skating, then you will want the front profiles shorter. If you want to glide longer for efficient north-south skating, you want long rear profiles. Sometimes, you can keep your current profile and alter the ROH, radius of hollow, for more glide or grip in hard turns/stops as an easier way to adjust for harder or softer ice.

5 hours ago, caveman27 said:

If you feel like you are getting pushed forward and tripping over your skates, you would want negative pitch. If you feel like you are getting pushed backwards and can't hold a deep forward tuck like a speed skater, then you would want positive pitch.

If you feel balanced, but want to make deeper/faster turns and doing choppy/quick east-west skating, then you will want the front profiles shorter. If you want to glide longer for efficient north-south skating, you want long rear profiles. Sometimes, you can keep your current profile and alter the ROH, radius of hollow, for more glide or grip in hard turns/stops as an easier way to adjust for harder or softer ice.

i thought forward pitch(toe drop) is negative? backward pitch(toe lift) is positive? inverted no?

since the Prosharp profile says negative to the profile that shaves toe off? I think i am confused now...??

anyways, I still find myself on my heel more than I like. I may do either Quad z or Zup S next time. or add another layer for my footbed since I kinda believe profile only the workaround....

Edited by jmaister

If you want the skate to push you more onto your toes, that's a positive pitch, eg +1 pitch. A negative pitch puts you back onto your heels. You do not need to change profiles to achieve these things. This is not really a profile issue. It's a pitch issue. Simply ask for a positive pitch to be applied to your current profile. Changing profiles will unnecessarily complicate things. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmaister said:

i thought forward pitch(toe drop) is negative? backward pitch(toe lift) is positive? inverted no?

since the Prosharp profile says negative to the profile that shaves toe off? I think i am confused now...??

anyways, I still find myself on my heel more than I like. I may do either Quad z or Zup S next time. or add another layer for my footbed since I kinda believe profile only the workaround....

Pitch adjustment is the whole blade's profile getting angled, so you could have a 9/10 blade with +1 pitch or 9/10 blade with -1 pitch adjustment. Imagine if there was a thin piece of wood put on the heels of your skate boot, and then someone attached the blade holders, that would be positive or aggressive pitch adjusment. If someone put a thin piece of wood on the forefoot area on the bottom of the skate boot and then attached the blade holders, that would be negative pitch. The front half is still 9' profile and the back half is still 10' profile. 

Or you can tell your sharpener how your skates feel and how he or she would adjust the pitch.

• Like 1