Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
srodharte

Lacing Techniques: What to do if one foot is larger than other

Hoping to get some advice. I'm a roller hockey player and recently picked up ice again, which means picking up some new gear since some no longer fit after having my mini-me (skates and pants). I had some CCM tacks for recreational skating but was fitted for Bauer M4s recently (makes sense, I think I had Bauer 6000s or something like that back in the day and my foot has grown mostly lengthwise).

Here's my issue I'm hoping to solve or get some tips on: Before having child, one foot was half a size bigger (pretty normal from my understanding). Well after having child, the larger foot grew a half size larger (*sigh) so now I have one foot a whole size larger than the other so of course the salesperson fit me for the larger foot and changed out the inserts for better support. The boot for the larger foot fits like a glove, but of course, I have negative space to fill in the boot for the smaller foot. So far, I've tried a thinner sock on the larger foot and a thicker sock on the smaller foot. The smaller foot definitely fits better, but it's not quite the goldilocks fit. 

Are there any other techniques I should try in regards to types of laces or lacing techniques? I imagine I can't be the only person with this issue. I'm thinking maybe I should use a waxed lace for the smaller foot or even changing up how I lace (outside in or maybe skipping an eyelet). Lately, I've been on the struggle but with lacing. I'm experiencing cramps in my calves so I'm sure I need to change up how I'm lacing up so I'm focused on skating and not on leg cramps. I appreciate any recommendations or suggestions!

Edited by srodharte
adding some add'l info

I’m not sure lacing will solve this. You might need to go custom to get two different sized skates.

There are also a lot of pro stock pairs floating around on eBay and Sideline that are a half size different left vs right if you can get lucky and thread the needle there. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure fitting exactly to the larger foot was the best approach. I think it would have been beter to fit 1/2 larger than the smaller foot and then stretch the other skate 1/4 size larger. Then as the skate ages, the foams will compress and usually give you another 1/4 size in space. That way the smaller foot is only 1/2 size bigger, which is workable.

In terms of lacing patterns, you can try this one I use to use. It really helps to push the foot back into the heel of the skate. Here's a post with pics that I put up a bunch of years back describing it. Give it a shot. Friends have described as like the boot sucks your foot in. In addition I've seen pictures of skates for kids that have adjustable  sizing. Part of what makes that possible is a crescent shaped foam insert that gets placed into the toe box making the skate shorter. Maybe that's something you can try. FYI a full size is approx 8mm.  

Edited by puckpilot
  • Like 2