Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
start_today

Covering Splinters

I have a relatively new stick that’s taken some abuse, and has a spot on the blade and bottom of the shaft where there’s some carbon splintering. Is there some coating I can put on these spots to keep it from further splintering and poking me?

Like every other equipment issue, is the answer just epoxy?  

I remember a post a while back talking about making small repairs to blades... the solution was, in fact, epoxy BUT some chimed in that adding some sort of graphite powder helped things bond and strengthen.  I'm obviously only giving the cliffs notes but the ones in that original thread were engineers, or at least spoke as if they knew what they were actually talking about 😂

EDIT: Not sure if this is the thread I was thinking of but this one explains the process a little: 

Edited by xstartxtodayx

15 hours ago, clarkiestooth said:

For chips in blades, I've just used Gorilla Glue. Just sand off excess. Works fine.

The recommended ratio for mixing graphite powder with epoxy is 10% by volume. This is equivalent to 1.5 tablespoons of graphite powder per 8 fluid ounces of epoxy. Clean blade thoroughly. Do not use anything aggressive that could possibly melt the foam inside the blade. Buy some powdered graphite and marine epoxy. Make a mixture based on the values specified previously. Spread it into the cracks or apply to the rough surface. If you are filling in a damage area, such as a gash, tape it down to compact it and use a clamp if needed to keep pressure. You can lightly sand the area after the epoxy is fully cured, if needed. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

The recommended ratio for mixing graphite powder with epoxy is 10% by volume. This is equivalent to 1.5 tablespoons of graphite powder per 8 fluid ounces of epoxy. Clean blade thoroughly. Do not use anything aggressive that could possibly melt the foam inside the blade. Buy some powdered graphite and marine epoxy. Make a mixture based on the values specified previously. Spread it into the cracks or apply to the rough surface. If you are filling in a damage area, such as a gash, tape it down to compact it and use a clamp if needed to keep pressure. You can lightly sand the area after the epoxy is fully cured, if needed. 

Thank you! With the graphite added, do you know long do I wait for it to cure? 

And, when you say “tape it down,” won’t the tape get stuck in the epoxy? (sorry if that’s a silly question, this is totally brand new concept for me.)

3 hours ago, start_today said:

Thank you! With the graphite added, do you know long do I wait for it to cure? 

And, when you say “tape it down,” won’t the tape get stuck in the epoxy? (sorry if that’s a silly question, this is totally brand new concept for me.)

Most marine epoxy needs 24 hours to fully cure. Make sure to read the back of the packaging to verify, as it dependent on brand. 

The tape will get stuck to the resin, so use something like thin scotch tape which is easily removed with light sanding, or you can melt it with a heat gun.