Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
shooter27

Weird Old Rules

Over the years seeing older games on YouTube and such I’ve noticed some weird ice markings/rules in various leagues/competitions and I was hoping to start a thread that might be able to answer the rationale behind some of them.  

For instance, I recently came across the 1978 NCAA championship game between BC and BU and noticed that there was no red line painted on the ice (it was on the boards, however).  Does anyone know what the story was here and why there was no red line on the ice? Was icing called from the defensive blue line or something? Just extremely confusing to see.

ΩWhile we’re at it, also noticed that the game only had 2 officials.  Anyone know when the NCAA went to 3 officials?

I never understood why they didn't make the goal crease a semi-circle again after they dumped the stupid foot-in-crease rule. They cut off the sides of the circle so you wouldn't have goals waived off because somebody was standing beside the net, but never put it back. Always seemed odd to me. 

On 12/6/2023 at 9:20 AM, iceman8310 said:

I may be wrong but college didn't use the redline

They didn’t use the redline for offsides (2 line) passes. Still not sure how they judged icing though.  

18 hours ago, shooter27 said:

They didn’t use the redline for offsides (2 line) passes. Still not sure how they judged icing though.  

Maybe the way they do it in some tournaments (and personally I'm in favor of this for lower division beer league too) where icing is called from your own blue line instead of the red line. I like it because if you get out of your own zone and manage to ice it, its usually just a missed pass or not reaching the red line. Keep the game flowing, I say.