Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ProfessorBarDownski

Soft blades for shooting?

On 12/8/2023 at 10:45 PM, ProfessorBarDownski said:

For players who drag the puck before shooting to change angles of the shots, would a softer blade be ideal for those kind of shooters ? 

Doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

I always thought the blade stiffness was more related to the feel of the puck and softer was more beneficial for receiving passes, not much of a difference for shooting, not sure if that's totally accurate but my uneducated logic seems to think it makes sense.

11 hours ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I always thought the blade stiffness was more related to the feel of the puck and softer was more beneficial for receiving passes, not much of a difference for shooting, not sure if that's totally accurate but my uneducated logic seems to think it makes sense.

That's accurate. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Neo5370 said:

Probably a preference thing.  Sakic preferred a soft blade, though I think he was more the exception than the rule. 

Majority of high level players (NHL/AHL/D1) tend to prefer softer blades. Softer blade allows for more accurate shooting; the puck stays on the blade longer for loading, which increases accuracy, especially helpful on one-timer as well. It also makes it easier to receive hard passes. 

Understand though, what works for Player A may not work for Player B.

For example, I got a bundle of pro stock sticks from Mackinnon. Some of them have softer blades, others are very stiff. You can sometimes "feel" how stiff the blade is, which will give you some insight as to the blade construction without having to cut the blade apart. Maybe he uses one stick for PP when he knows he will be taking more shots and the other is for general use. Who knows? He also varies his flex quite a bit as well. 

• Thanks 1