Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Pin

Liking Quad 2 but looking for some tweaks

So some of you maybe saw my recent skate fitment journey. 
Had my new Vapor skates profiled with quad 2, 11/16 roh, just like my previous Ribcors

overall I like this profile but I’d like maybe a little more grip/bite/explosion and more agility (had difficulties to initiate quick turns tonight). 
i don’t mind losing some glide since I find quad 2 has plenty of it. Quad 2 feel light and smooth but id like maybe a tiny more heavy feeling. 

should I stay with quad 2 and focus more on sharpening (9/16)? 
or should I try a different profile? Never tried a zuperior profile btw. 

First game with these skate I was with stock 10´ radius. Not a huge fan but I like how it felt heavy in some way under my feet.

Edited by Peter Pin

You might get more responses if you pop this out into the general forum area.  

What do you mean by "heavy"?  Stable?  If so, you want more steel on the ice.  A larger radius on the profile.  

I was on a Quad (not sure which one) and was looking for more stability (I have small feet, so small runners) and recently switched to a Zuperior Small at the suggestion of a few folks here and a skate shop owner that does a decent amount of profiling.  I've been really happy with the change, it feels like I am way more stable yet don't feel I've lost any agility.  With the Quad I didn't feel I could trust my edges to really push into crossovers.  Since switching, I feel very secure on my edges - enough to push into my crossovers.  Obviously YMMV, but so far it has been a beneficial switch for me.     

I am not sure what you mean with heavy. You want it to dig in more?

Pressure = Force / Area.

Both the Quad 2 and the Zuperior M have a 13' glide area, it wont' dig in as much as a 10'. I guess you could describe this as feeling light, you have less grip and it glides better. It feels odd at first but you just have to trust it and get used to it. By comparison a single 10' just feels slow, but digs in more so you have better grip. I guess you could call this heavy feeling.

If you want more heavy feeling, I would go down to a smaller Quad (Zuperior M will give you more contact than a Quad 2) and that will give you less blade contact allowing it to sink deeper into the ice. Going from a Quad 2 to a 1 or 0, you are decreasing the Area, in the equation above.

If you just move to a deeper sharpen, you'll have the same blade contact but more friction. It is easier to try, but I would be careful to use a deep sharpen on a larger profile, it will be tiring on a full size rink. Personally I am on a Zuperior M with 7/8" hollow (280mm runners). The Zuperior is all about speed and stability. I have been on it for a month now, I will write a more in-depth review soon.