Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
boshebetka

Undersized vs standard vs oversized holder swap

I’m about to buy a new pair of true SVH customs and I plan to swap the holders. I am currently in 8.5wide FT6 pros which use a 271 speed blade XS holder. When I scanned for Trues, they recommend a 10wide, which was weird at first. But I tried on a retail 9wide and 9.5wide hzrdus 9x which were both a bit too short, so I don’t think their scan is wrong. I have no idea how 8.5wide FT6 pros fit me so well, but when I get my trues, I want to swap them to the XS holders. So would it be a bad idea to use my 271 holders? I know it would be ideal to use 287 holders, but I can get a pair of 295s for free. I’m betting it’ll be a big jump if I do it, but would it be more worth it to do that or stay “undersized” for my holders? Or should I get 287s or even 280? Luckily I only have one usable pair of steel for my current holders so I’ll need new steel regardless

also, can I request for them to drill holes for the ccm holders since I plan to order them with the shift holders unmounted?

You'd have to ask true or the fitter should know whether true will predrill for you. I've heard over the years people say true won't predrill anymore but at the same time I've seen it done.. only way to find out is to ask them or your fitter. 

Even if the scan recommends 10w, svh skates aren't based on sizing. It's based on your scan and photos of you standing on a true brannock. The scan via the app you can get for your iOS is for sizing retail skates. That said. 8.5w in ccm and trues recommended 10w seems very off.  Btw if the 9 and 9.5 hzrdus you tried on seemed a "bit" short then one of them would've likely worked as the foams in trues skates pack in quite a bit after a bake and even after breaking in. I haven't tried the ft6 pros so I dunno how true to size they are compared to Bauer and true retails these days. The ccm wide might be structured that they are also quite a bit longer than the tapered and regular fits. For example, the Bauer fit 3s are very similar in length to the next half size up in fit 1 and 2. They even use the same size holder as the next half size up 

Personally I wouldn't get them to predrill just in case. This way you can get your svh skates and see which holder is best suited for the size svh you end up getting. You're already shelling over a grand on skates, don't cheap out to try to fit a holder on them just for the sake of not getting new holders.  

Edited by Sniper9
  • Like 2

Did you bake the True skates before trying them on?

I have to imagine there was some kind of error with the scan if you fit in an 8.5 in CCM and need to go UP 1.5 sizes from there. I wear the same size in both True and CCM

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 10:01 AM, Westside said:

Did you bake the True skates before trying them on?

I have to imagine there was some kind of error with the scan if you fit in an 8.5 in CCM and need to go UP 1.5 sizes from there. I wear the same size in both True and CCM

Yeah, the sizing seems excessive. What does the TRUE brannock show your sizing as?

On 2/3/2024 at 10:46 PM, Sniper9 said:

You'd have to ask true or the fitter should know whether true will predrill for you. I've heard over the years people say true won't predrill anymore but at the same time I've seen it done.. only way to find out is to ask them or your fitter. 

Even if the scan recommends 10w, svh skates aren't based on sizing. It's based on your scan and photos of you standing on a true brannock. The scan via the app you can get for your iOS is for sizing retail skates. That said. 8.5w in ccm and trues recommended 10w seems very off.  Btw if the 9 and 9.5 hzrdus you tried on seemed a "bit" short then one of them would've likely worked as the foams in trues skates pack in quite a bit after a bake and even after breaking in. I haven't tried the ft6 pros so I dunno how true to size they are compared to Bauer and true retails these days. The ccm wide might be structured that they are also quite a bit longer than the tapered and regular fits. For example, the Bauer fit 3s are very similar in length to the next half size up in fit 1 and 2. They even use the same size holder as the next half size up 

Personally I wouldn't get them to predrill just in case. This way you can get your svh skates and see which holder is best suited for the size svh you end up getting. You're already shelling over a grand on skates, don't cheap out to try to fit a holder on them just for the sake of not getting new holders.  

The 9 retail I tried on had my toes curled up and jammed against the end. I know trues are supposed to be tight, especially before baking. 9.5 still had me jammed up and my toes were just barely curled. I have been told the the newest jetspeeds run a bit big and wide by some of the guys at my local store. I’ll probably ask if they can predrill and if yes, what they think I should do

7 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

Yeah, the sizing seems excessive. What does the TRUE brannock show your sizing as?

The brannock had me right between a 9 and 9.5 on my right, 9.5 and 10 on the left foot. I did a half-bake before trying them, about 3mins in the oven for both feet since I can’t just fully bake a skate without buying it, especially trues

1 hour ago, boshebetka said:

The brannock had me right between a 9 and 9.5 on my right, 9.5 and 10 on the left foot. I did a half-bake before trying them, about 3mins in the oven for both feet since I can’t just fully bake a skate without buying it, especially trues

The trues have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so id argue you could do a full bake take them home use them and still return them. 

12 hours ago, boshebetka said:

Says who? You can bake TRUE skates as many times as you want, unlike Bauer and CCM. In fact, TRUE specifically tells retailers to perform a full bake. If a retailer tells you otherwise, they are either misinformed or lazy. 

11 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The trues have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee so id argue you could do a full bake take them home use them and still return them. 

For custom skates, they do not have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. TRUE will remake the skates if needed, but unless there are significant extenuating circumstances, they will not issue a refund and will instead work with the customer to get the skates made to fit properly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

For custom skates, they do not have a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. TRUE will remake the skates if needed, but unless there are significant extenuating circumstances, they will not issue a refund and will instead work with the customer to get the skates made to fit properly. 

Yes, I assumed we're talking about retail skates since the comment was about trying skates in store. 

57 minutes ago, VegasHockey said:

Says who? You can bake TRUE skates as many times as you want, unlike Bauer and CCM. In fact, TRUE specifically tells retailers to perform a full bake. If a retailer tells you otherwise, they are either misinformed or lazy. 

I’m good friends with one of the guys at the store who’s also helping me with all this fitting. True does employee training though an app with videos and articles. The one about “how to fit true skates” clearly says to only bake for 3-4 minutes and let the customer wear them for about 10 minutes total. I know there’s no guarantee with the customs but even if there was, I wouldn’t want a return, I’d want to adjust or remake the skates until they fit right. SVHs are so stiff and wrap so well, you can’t get that in any other brand, and true retail wide fits are still just too narrow for me especially in my forefoot

12 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Correct but I’m not gonna abuse their return like a rental program, I want to order customs now and get them asap so I can start using them asap without waiting another few weeks using skates I know I’m gonna get rid of. The 9.5w 9x I tried on fit decently, but they still need to be a bit wider. I only tried them on to determine length since I was shocked by the scan’s result

31 minutes ago, boshebetka said:

I’m good friends with one of the guys at the store who’s also helping me with all this fitting. True does employee training though an app with videos and articles. The one about “how to fit true skates” clearly says to only bake for 3-4 minutes and let the customer wear them for about 10 minutes total. I know there’s no guarantee with the customs but even if there was, I wouldn’t want a return, I’d want to adjust or remake the skates until they fit right. SVHs are so stiff and wrap so well, you can’t get that in any other brand, and true retail wide fits are still just too narrow for me especially in my forefoot

Trust me, 3-4 minutes baking a TRUE skate is not enough. I understand the training TRUE has provided in the past through TRUE Academy and such. Ive been around a long time... sometimes I think too long. 

2 hours ago, boshebetka said:

Correct but I’m not gonna abuse their return like a rental program, I want to order customs now and get them asap so I can start using them asap without waiting another few weeks using skates I know I’m gonna get rid of. The 9.5w 9x I tried on fit decently, but they still need to be a bit wider. I only tried them on to determine length since I was shocked by the scan’s result

Are the 9.5 too "small" bc of the tightness or bc your toes were actually pressed against the end of the toecap

1 hour ago, VegasHockey said:

Trust me, 3-4 minutes baking a TRUE skate is not enough. I understand the training TRUE has provided in the past through TRUE Academy and such. Ive been around a long time... sometimes I think too long. 

Trues have been around 7 years and still the vast majority of retailers either refuse to or don't know about the stretch wrap technique... So I don't have faith in them even knowing other particulars. 

I have a feeling OPs custom skates aren't gonna turn out like he wants. But I hope for his sake it does. 

Edited by Sniper9

28 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Trues have been around 7 years and still the vast majority of retailers either refuse to or don't know about the stretch wrap technique... So I don't have faith in them even knowing other particulars. 

I have a feeling OPs custom skates aren't gonna turn out like he wants. But I hope for his sake it does. 

True literally trains employees to bake skates for 3-4 minutes to try on, not a full bake. A full bake is 8ish mins each skate, leave the top 3 eyelets undone, get the rest to 75% tightness and then seran wrap the ankle and heel. Trying them on after 3-4 mins  will open them up a bit, but not enough to be fully baked, because the point is to try them on, not make them yours before buying them. That’s what it says on their app that they offer employee training on.

33 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Are the 9.5 too "small" bc of the tightness or bc your toes were actually pressed against the end of the toecap

My toes were scrunched up against the cap, even when sitting down. My foot was completely flat except for my toes which were slightly curled up, even more curled in the 9s