Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
hunt3rsean

New skate fit help

It's been years since I've posted on here. But, hoping there is enough activity still going on that someone might have some advice for me!

Years and years ago, I bought a pair of Easton Stealth RS skates that are now about as soft as a tennis shoe. They fit me so good and were so comfortable, I did everything I could not to replace them, but now its time.

What I can't figure out, is what current model/line of skates mimic that fit design. I run into issue because I have a narrow heel and ankle, but a regular-to-wide forefoot. With a high instep. I don't live in area with a hockey shop and the closest is 3-4 hours away. It may come down to just biting the bullet and making a drive, but was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in a good direction.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hunt3rsean

True have an app that allows you to scan your feet with your phone or tablet. It will then recommend skates. Maybe Bauer and CCM have similar. Some shops offer virtual fittings, by video link I assume. I have no idea how well that works. Some brands offer a 30 or more days warranty, not happy, get a full refund. You could order two sizes, keep the one that fits, return it if doesn’t work out on the ice. 

Edited by Leif

Based on your description, I'd look at the True retail offerings TF series, if you can find them in your size (probably 1/2 smaller than what you are in now), the Catalyst series (a bit softer boot and a bit more narrow forefoot), or Hzdrus series - which replaces the older TF series (both Cats and Hzdrus probably the same size as your current Eastons).  I'll let someone more familiar with the Easton Stealth RS weigh in to confirm.    

I'm in a pair of TF9s and have very similar foot shape to what you describe.  Wide-ish forefoot, narrow heel, high instep.  These skates are the first I have ever tried that do not give me some sort of lacebite over the instep while also not squeezing the sides of my forefoot because they are a bit too narrow.  By far the most comfortable skate I've ever owned.  Extremely heat moldable to provide a great fit (and need to be heated to assess fit, don't even bother to try them on if they aren't baked first).

The TF series is deeply discounted right now, as are the Catalyst right now.  Hzdrus replace TF, new Cats are coming out this summer.  And they have a 30 day money back guarantee I believe for all models.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, krisdrum said:

I'm in a pair of TF9s and have very similar foot shape to what you describe.  Wide-ish forefoot, narrow heel, high instep.  By far the most comfortable skate I've ever owned. 

Same here, but medium instep. 

Funny enough, I just purchased a pair of TF7's in my normal size (I'm a 6, and going down to a 5.5 would require their Intermediate models). After two heat molds (using their shrink wrap process, which works great btw) they're very comfortable. And incredibly stiff, though I'm sure that feeling is exacerbated by coming off a pair of very worn down and soft skates. 

The biggest issue with them (for now) is that, yes...they're about .25 - .5 size too big. My big toe can just barely graze the toe cap when standing up, but none of my other toes touch the front. A very odd feeling. Not sure if finding some toe inserts/fit pads to take up that space is the right move or not.

I've not had a chance to skate in them yet, so I'm going to give that a go and see how they feel. 

Are the Catalyst models more true to size?

Thanks for the help!

30 minutes ago, hunt3rsean said:

Funny enough, I just purchased a pair of TF7's in my normal size (I'm a 6, and going down to a 5.5 would require their Intermediate models). After two heat molds (using their shrink wrap process, which works great btw) they're very comfortable. And incredibly stiff, though I'm sure that feeling is exacerbated by coming off a pair of very worn down and soft skates. 

The biggest issue with them (for now) is that, yes...they're about .25 - .5 size too big. My big toe can just barely graze the toe cap when standing up, but none of my other toes touch the front. A very odd feeling. Not sure if finding some toe inserts/fit pads to take up that space is the right move or not.

I've not had a chance to skate in them yet, so I'm going to give that a go and see how they feel. 

Are the Catalyst models more true to size?

Thanks for the help!

Catalyst fit about a 1/2 size smaller (more inline with the other big brands / "true to size").  So going for a 6 in the Cats would probably give you a closer fit.  If you like the TF7s, see if you can get them in the 5.5, really no difference in the stiffness or performance of the Intermediate/Junior sizes compared to Senior.  I'd definitely suggest sizing down instead of trying to stuff the extra space with something.  The TFs also tend to continue to break in and feel a bit larger as the foams compact.  For instance, I have very small feet and am in a size 4 in my TFs, and I'm 190lbs  

Edited by krisdrum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Catalyst fit about a 1/2 size smaller (more inline with the other big brands / "true to size").  So going for a 6 in the Cats would probably give you a closer fit.  If you like the TF7s, see if you can get them in the 5.5, really no difference in the stiffness or performance of the Intermediate/Junior sizes compared to Senior.  For instance, I have very small feet and am in a size 4 in my TFs.  

I'll give that a go for sure. With the return window that True does, I'll likely take the advice and get a TF7 in 5.5 and Catalyst 7 in 6, and see what happens. 

I also didn't realize that Intermediates had the same overall construction, just drops into a smaller size of ranges. For whatever reason, I always thought they were built a little different (maybe because of price?).

Thanks again for all the help. I know it's tough to recommend fit/skate suggestions over the internet. 

Edited by hunt3rsean

1 minute ago, hunt3rsean said:

I'll give that a go for sure. With the return window that True does, I'll likely take the advise and get a TF7 in 5.5 and Catalyst 7 in 6, and see what happens. 

I also didn't realize that Intermediates had the same overall construction, just drops into a smaller size of ranges. For whatever reason, I always thought they were built a little different (maybe because of price?).

Thanks again for all the help. I know it's tough to recommend fit/skate suggestions over the internet. 

Can't speak for other brands, but I am pretty confident there is no structural / design difference between the larger senior sizes and the smaller intermediate/junior sizes with the True lines.  Less material needed for a smaller size = less money.  And I'm sure to some extent they need to make it more palatable to parents as their young one's foot grows, so probably making more profit off the senior sizes to offset the smaller sizes at lower prices. 

• Like 2

Skated in the size 6 TF7's I had ordered initially. After 2 bakes and using the shrink wrap method, definitely a 0.5 size too big when using them on the ice. Though I did find them comfortable. The stiffness didn't end up bothering me as much them simply being too big. 

Looking forward to trying the Catalyst 9's. I ordered both a size 5.5 and a 6 from HockeyMonkey. 

On 2/9/2024 at 10:19 AM, hunt3rsean said:

Skated in the size 6 TF7's I had ordered initially. After 2 bakes and using the shrink wrap method, definitely a 0.5 size too big when using them on the ice. Though I did find them comfortable. The stiffness didn't end up bothering me as much them simply being too big. 

Looking forward to trying the Catalyst 9's. I ordered both a size 5.5 and a 6 from HockeyMonkey. 

The Cat 9s in the 6 should fit right and the TF7 in a 5.5 is my educated guess.  Be warned if you decide to go with the Cats, the heels on them are getting a bad reputation for cracking.  My kid's cracked and were warranty replaced and the new pair appear to be developing cracks as well.  Supposedly they addressed the issue with the Hzdrus that are now out and the new Cats coming out this summer.  

On 2/12/2024 at 11:25 AM, krisdrum said:

The Cat 9s in the 6 should fit right and the TF7 in a 5.5 is my educated guess.  Be warned if you decide to go with the Cats, the heels on them are getting a bad reputation for cracking.  My kid's cracked and were warranty replaced and the new pair appear to be developing cracks as well.  Supposedly they addressed the issue with the Hzdrus that are now out and the new Cats coming out this summer.  

I did read a lot of that in reviews across multiple sources. But, at their current clearance price, I'm willing to take the chance. I'm only on the ice 3-4 hours a week. Mostly coaching, then playing once a week average. 

Got the skates in and the size 6 in the Catalyst fits WAY better. Wow. Much more comfortable. Hopefully can get them on the ice this week.

3 minutes ago, hunt3rsean said:

I did read a lot of that in reviews across multiple sources. But, at their current clearance price, I'm willing to take the chance. I'm only on the ice 3-4 hours a week. Mostly coaching, then playing once a week average. 

Got the skates in and the size 6 in the Catalyst fits WAY better. Wow. Much more comfortable. Hopefully can get them on the ice this week.

You bakes them all before initial try-on to determine best fit?  These skates need to be warm when trying on.  Trying on cold out of the box is not an accurate approach.  

Just now, krisdrum said:

You bakes them all before initial try-on to determine best fit?  These skates need to be warm when trying on.  Trying on cold out of the box is not an accurate approach.  

Yup, I didn't bother even putting my foot in before having them baked (doubt I could have even got them on otherwise).

• Like 1

First skate with them last night, loved them. How much more bite these provide will take some getting used to, but overall very happy with them. Thanks all for the input and help.

20 hours ago, hunt3rsean said:

First skate with them last night, loved them. How much more bite these provide will take some getting used to, but overall very happy with them. Thanks all for the input and help.

I was using a 5/8” grind on hard winter ice with my Bauer skates. With my TF9s I had to go down to to a 1” grind as the bite was insane. I’m getting more glide for a given grip, hence skating should be less tiring. However, I’m now able to put in more power. It took me several hours to get used to the forward pitch. 

Edited by Leif