Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cygnusx1

Youth skate narrow ankles

My daughter has narrow ankles. She is skating youth vapor 3x, and there are not boot size options for youth  beyond standard. I have rebaked them but her ankles still wobble a bit when laced and skating. Any inside boot or ankle sleeve options? I know strength will help over time but she has skated for a few years now, part of it still anatomy related. Thanks

For inline skating I bought some ankle sleeves made by Powerslide. Not ideal, but they might help. 

https://powerslide.com/products/footie-high-2mm

There are of course other brands.

I rebaked my right skate today, and use a pair of ratchet clamps and a piece of wood each side of the skate, to tighten the ankle a bit. I placed a towel between the skate and the wood to even out the pressure. I don’t think Bauer skate shells are thermoformable, just the foams, but you might try this, assuming it is okay to rebake the skates. 

Alternatively, True skates are very thermoformable, CCM are said to be thermoformable but I’ve never owned any. 

10 hours ago, Leif said:

For inline skating I bought some ankle sleeves made by Powerslide. Not ideal, but they might help. 

https://powerslide.com/products/footie-high-2mm

There are of course other brands.

I rebaked my right skate today, and use a pair of ratchet clamps and a piece of wood each side of the skate, to tighten the ankle a bit. I placed a towel between the skate and the wood to even out the pressure. I don’t think Bauer skate shells are thermoformable, just the foams, but you might try this, assuming it is okay to rebake the skates. 

Alternatively, True skates are very thermoformable, CCM are said to be thermoformable but I’ve never owned any. 

Thanks. Unfortunately True does not make youth skates and ccms are all plastic and not moldable, so Bauer is my only option. I may try an ankle sleeve like you posted or just rebake and Saran Wrap. Anyone add neoprene or other  adhesive backed around the ankle collar or use those gel inserts? I’m kinda a mad scientist with sport’s equipment so I love this stuff

10 hours ago, cygnusx1 said:

Thanks. Unfortunately True does not make youth skates and ccms are all plastic and not moldable, so Bauer is my only option. I may try an ankle sleeve like you posted or just rebake and Saran Wrap. Anyone add neoprene or other  adhesive backed around the ankle collar or use those gel inserts? I’m kinda a mad scientist with sport’s equipment so I love this stuff

CCM makes youth skates that are heat moldable, obv they have a variety of models but most of the higher level ones will be heat moldable.  I picked up a pair of Tacks for my son a couple of years ago when he still played that they baked in the shop for him, they were closeout from the year before so they were on sale which made it even better (these were a size 12 from what I remember so still youth).  A Leif mentioned they do make ankle sleeves which may take up some space, also maybe try some Superfeet insoles which raise the heel slightly which might help (stock insoles are always so thin and flat).  Lastly, the old advice from Hans in the Mighty Ducks... wear thicker socks lol

• Like 1