Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
walkerdb7

True Youth Sticks

Hi all, extremely specific question here, hopefully someone knows... My son currently has the Bauer Nexus 20 flex stick. He is about 75 lbs and 55" tall. With a good shooting motion / technique, both in classic wrist or modern snap shop, the stick barely flexes. Looks me using a 110 flex instead of an 85.

We were messing around in the shop yesterday to see if anyone had a softer flex kids stick and we found the True PX4. It's labeled a 15, but it's like 5 flex compared to everyone else's 10 or 20 flex. I would have bought the stick, but they only had LH and we need RH.

I went online to order and I noticed a closeout on the 2 generation old PX. It's labeled a 15 flex as well. Does anyone know if the True sticks got softer over time of it the PX and the PX4 will be at the same? See further details below about marketing speak and why I am questioning this

image.png.b10017252da12bdf1ebb27ba3ba3d7ce.png

The newer model PX4 lists the UFlex as a new technology and it's not mentioned on the old PX

image.thumb.png.fe4f2c73080071aa83df7e26e8391d61.png

I couldn't say about youth true sticks and their flex over time, but I have to point out that your sons size seems bigger than most kids who would use a 15 flex stick. Generally someone 75 pounds would use around a 30 flex, could use a 25 could use a 35 depending on how they load and shoot but I would think 15 might end up twisting and flaring more than they would like it to.

My son is really small, he's maybe 51" tall, 80 pounds and uses a full length 30 flex, I think he could bump up to 40 but I have some 35 flex on order for him to bridge the gap.

If it wouldn't hurt the pocket book to give the 15 flex a shot by all means I could be totally wrong and he could love it but based on my experience the 10 and 15 flex sticks are for the 30-50 pound mini mites.

• Like 1

Don’t worry about seeing it flex.  SLO mo’d my son last year and the stick was flexing plenty even though you couldn’t tell with the naked eye.  If he is shooting well that’s all that matters, although that is a bit light for his size.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 3:15 PM, cougarscaptain87 said:

I couldn't say about youth true sticks and their flex over time, but I have to point out that your sons size seems bigger than most kids who would use a 15 flex stick. Generally someone 75 pounds would use around a 30 flex, could use a 25 could use a 35 depending on how they load and shoot but I would think 15 might end up twisting and flaring more than they would like it to.

My son is really small, he's maybe 51" tall, 80 pounds and uses a full length 30 flex, I think he could bump up to 40 but I have some 35 flex on order for him to bridge the gap.

If it wouldn't hurt the pocket book to give the 15 flex a shot by all means I could be totally wrong and he could love it but based on my experience the 10 and 15 flex sticks are for the 30-50 pound mini mites.

Yeah, I don't buy much into the weight thing? I am 6'2" and weigh 215. Used to use an 85 flex and tried a 75 recently. Other than a classic slap shot, the 75 is a win. Can release my shot faster and have more zip on quick wrist and snap shots, which is way more practical than a 100 or whatever a weight chart would say I should use.

Looking into the same logic for my son? See if something with equipment can help give him confidence or performance improvement

I am going to buy a stick, haha, just curious if I can get away with the closeout model!

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 6:16 PM, BenBreeg said:

Don’t worry about seeing it flex.  SLO mo’d my son last year and the stick was flexing plenty even though you couldn’t tell with the naked eye.  If he is shooting well that’s all that matters, although that is a bit light for his size.

Agree w/others that the weight/flex calculations are just a starting point & often aren't accurate or terribly helpful, and I'm all for checking out new sticks on closeout, so I hope it works.

That said, very much agree w/ @BenBreeg. In my experience, it's very unusual that I can see stick flex with a naked eye at game speed when someone is shooting. To the extent I can, it's usually only on a slap shot/one timer and/or when someone is clearly very big or strong relative to the stick flex. So, my worry would be that looking for visible flex during a shooting motion (unless you're looking at slo mo video review) might be misleading and will lead you to a stick that's extremely whippy. 

25 minutes ago, bl4 said:

Agree w/others that the weight/flex calculations are just a starting point & often aren't accurate or terribly helpful, and I'm all for checking out new sticks on closeout, so I hope it works.

That said, very much agree w/ @BenBreeg. In my experience, it's very unusual that I can see stick flex with a naked eye at game speed when someone is shooting. To the extent I can, it's usually only on a slap shot/one timer and/or when someone is clearly very big or strong relative to the stick flex. So, my worry would be that looking for visible flex during a shooting motion (unless you're looking at slo mo video review) might be misleading and will lead you to a stick that's extremely whippy. 

yes, that is how is noticed, I made a video to track progress.

• Like 1

@walkerdb7 Food for thought - I'd imagine your shooting technique has been honed over years of playing, compared to your son's, as good as his technique might be, it isn't an apples to apples comparison as he is still growing and maturing.  Obviously the trend it towards flexes that are less than 1/2 body weight, but there are some downsides to going too low.  Shooting gurus like Glen Tucker (shot doctor) talk about the blade gripping the ice as an essential part of technique and proper flex for a given player.  Going too low takes that grip away as you overflex the stick.  I'm 5'6" 190.  My kid is about the same height now, but at 14 doesn't yet have the weight and muscle mass I have and weighs in around 130.  His technique is way better than mine (I picked up the game when he did) and he has been using 55 flex for a bit now and finds it effective.  I have tried everything from 55 (his sticks) up to 75 +.  I like around 65 or 70 cut down to my preferred height as a good balance between too whippy and too stiff.  Going lower than that is too whippy when shooting and I lose blade grip on the ice.    

At 215, 75 flex - you are using a flex about 1/3 your body weight.  Moving your son down to 15 flex at 75 lbs, the flex would be less than 1/4 his body weight.  If you use the same ratio you use for your son, he'd be using about a 25 flex.  Obviously there are other factors at play, but I can understand why most responses to your OP are thinking 15 will be too whippy and not effective.