Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
acura9927

New 90s Supreme Comp safe to skate on?

I found new Bauer Supreme Comp skates on ebay. Never been used, sharpened, looks likes sat in the closet for 25 to 30 years? They are the ones that Paul Kariya skated with, down to the Black Tuuks.

Are these still safe to skate on if they were never subjected to use? I weigh 131 lbs so I would not stress the blade holder much. Or just use as a display ?

Edited by acura9927

6 hours ago, acura9927 said:

I found new Bauer Supreme Comp skates on ebay. Never been used, sharpened, looks likes sat in the closet for 25 to 30 years? They are the ones that Paul Kariya skated with, down to the Black Tuuks.

Are these still safe to skate on if they were never subjected to use? I weigh 131 lbs so I would not stress the blade holder much. Or just use as a display ?

If it’s Supreme Comp 5000 (or similar new old stock top of the line) the boot should last quite a while. There’s just something iffy about the holder plastic at 30 years old. The worst that can happen is suddenly failure of the holder. I think it depends on how they were stored, but I’ve tried various boots that age or older the last couple of years and have had three or four Tuuk Custom or Custom Plus crack or shatter while I’ve been skating on them. It’s not really dangerous if you’ve got all your gear on. You might fall suddenly like you’ve lost an edge in the case of total sudden holder failure. You can just put a new holder on if that happens.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am going to hold off on skating with them and see if I can find some recent black holders, I really want that vintage skate look with black holders only. If not possible its a display item in the house. 

I got them sharpened and went for public skate, NO GO, they are going to crack with any kind of skating. They can be felt leaning in on both skates and can't support at all. You can't tell whatever by tapping on the blade holder. Display item, the guy at the store say cool skates they belong on the wall for display.