Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Moore files lawsuit

The Bertuzzi attack on Moore was a cowardly and pathetic act, no question about that.  I'm a huge Canuck fan, and it just absolutely turned my stomach.  However, the only thing that could make this situation even more disgraceful and pitiful is Steve Moore filing a lawsuit.  It happened during the game, it needs to stay in the game.  Let the NHL deal with Bert however they see fit, but to go to court over it is just terrible.  Also, I don't want to hear about how Steve Moore will never earn a decent living at anything...I'd be willing to guess that he has pretty adequate insurance to cover this type of thing, and perhaps will even be receiving compensation from the NHLPA for several years.  If I'm way off the mark on this, please tell me, it's just something I've heard.

Another mental midget steps from the shadows... seems common amongst the Canuck fans, too much BC bud has effected their ability to see things from a logical perspective. I love to see you say that to the Moore family, look them right in the eye and give them your wisdom.

Naslund drops gloves, throws cheap shot

DAMIEN COX

SPORTS COLUMNIST

In Markus Naslund's world, only elite hockey players have rights.

Steve Moore, to Naslund, only had the right to be a victim.

And certainly not to make a fuss about it.

"He's suing everyone so he can make money," Naslund told a Vancouver paper. "I've got no respect for him at all.

"This is just a guy who's trying to hit a home run (financially). Someone who wasn't good enough to play.

"I'm not saying what (Bertuzzi did) was right. But if it was me, I'd be doing everything I could to get back and play and show everyone the character I have."

Oh, don't worry. We now are keenly aware of the "character" possessed by Naslund.

This is the same captain of the Canucks who hid behind the brutes on his own team after being nailed with a clean hit, asked them to go out and make like the dogs of war so he could keep his saintly hands clean.

Has a little Tonya Harding-Jeff Gillooly scent to it, wouldn't you say?

This is a hockey player, based on his words yesterday, who looks down his nose at the marginal players in the game, the grunts, checkers and pluggers who have to scratch and claw just to get on the active roster of an NHL team for a few games.

Those Naslund judges as not "good enough to play" certainly don't deserve the same consideration as, say, he does. People like Moore should not have the temerity to bodycheck those above him in the food chain.

This Naslund is a "leader" who allowed the foaming-at-the-mouth lynch mob to get way out of control in the Canucks dressing room, ultimately helping to create the scenario that left Moore with a broken neck, Bertuzzi suspended indefinitely and the Canucks out millions of dollars in post-season revenue.

That Moore's career has been destroyed by Bertuzzi's attack, and that his health may have been permanently damaged, matters not to the Scandinavian, who we can only assume would never had made his comments without first thoroughly examining Moore's health charts.

`He's suing everyone so he can make money. I've got no respect for him at all.'

Canuck Markus Naslund, right, on former Avs winger Steve Moore

That Bertuzzi pleaded guilty in criminal court to intentionally assaulting Moore was also similarly not worth consideration to Naslund.

He figures Moore should just suck it up. Recovering lost wages and opportunity through a lawsuit would never be done by a manly sort.

Just go and steal somebody else's job during the lockout like the rest of us, Naslund seems to instruct.

It's the hypocrisy that really gets you.

On one hand, Naslund takes shots at NHL commissioner Gary Bettman for the indecency of trying to design a system that will cap NHL playing incomes at an average of about $1.3 million per season. The Swedish profile-in-courage then takes shots at an injured athlete who can't even exercise because of his severe injuries, suggesting he's just out for the money.

Gotta love a guy who suggests that if he'd suffered a broken neck he'd make like John Wayne.

Moreover, this is the reverse juice on the hockey slang of the 1970s when newcomers were labelled "chicken Swedes" by nasty Canadian brutes.

Now it's the Swedes deriding the manhood of the Canadians.

That Naslund questions Moore's character is indeed the topper. After all, at least Borje Salming stood up for himself. Naslund could have sought revenge against Moore himself last winter, could have dropped his gloves, lifted his protective visor and given the Harvard grad the old Ingemar Johansson one-two.

Instead, he let Brad May and Bertuzzi play judge and jury while he kept his Lady Byng tiara in place.

Now the lawsuit is on, and the evidence sure looks compelling that there was a conspiracy to take Moore's livelihood away from him.

Sadly, one name is missing from the list of defendants.

Would love to see the name of Markus Naslund added.

What a stupid, stupid man.

Mental midget stepping from the shadows??? Ok...whatever you want to believe. I had no idea that having an opinion contrasting from your own meant I was stupid, in fact that's a pretty ignorant comment to make.

Let me try and make this a little clearer for your Molotov, so that just maybe you'll be able to read my comments and realize I'm not speaking as a Canucks fan, but as a person with an interest in this situaiton.

Someone earlier asked how you can say Steve Moore is anything but a victim. Well you can't, he certainly is a victim. He never deserved to get attacked or injured, he is definitely a victim. Now, pay very close attention to this next point Molotov. I'm going to stop smoking the BC bud for a second, and make this crystal clear.

Taking this situation to court is not wrong for Steve Moore. He wants money, he's trying to get money. Maybe he deserves to be compensated for this situation, maybe not, I'm not going to try and make that decision. However, this was not the way to do it. This won't go to court anyways, he'll settle out of court with Bertuzzi and company and that will be the end of it. All this does is set a precedent that says professional athletes can now sue over injuries occured playing their sports.

This could very likely set in motion a lot of future cases. Where do you draw the line? Is a clean check that concusses someone and ends their career worthy of going to court? It's a legal play but that person is still out millions. How about a knee on knee hit? It might have been an accident, might have not been. Doesn't matter though, it's an illegal play, take them to court. If you accidentally run a red light and kill someone, you still go to jail.

Point and case, this did not have to go to court. Moore could have easily settled w/o ever having filed a motion and this whole nasty situation would have been kept out of the public spotlight. As well, we would not be looking at the possibility we're now facing, two athletes facing off in court...last time I checked their playing surface was supposed to be a sheet of ice.

Just a couple things to wrap this up. Molotov, if Steve Moore and his family were standing here asking me what I thought of this situation, I would tell them exactly what I just wrote here. This should not be going to court. Ponty, we did not almost see a death on live tv. Steve Moore suffered a concussion and two cracked vertebrae. It sounds extremely serious, and it is, but it was not life threatening. I have talked to several close people about this, all working in medical specialties, and they say the same thing. It's not the matter at hand, I just wanted to point that out.

Now back to my BC bud and the shadowy forest of mental midgets that I hail from...

Well, for anyone that watched Sportsnet News this morning, they had their Hockey Central panel on and I agree with most of their points. One of the points; Moore should just pick a number and the Canucks will just write him off. As the panel said, "There is no need to drag this further into the mud."

Well, for anyone that watched Sportsnet News this morning, they had their Hockey Central panel on and I agree with most of their points. One of the points; Moore should just pick a number and the Canucks will just write him off. As the panel said, "There is no need to drag this further into the mud."

The fact that Moore didn't just "pick a number" shows that this is indeed about more than money to him. He wants his day in court, and he deserves it.

This could very likely set in motion a lot of future cases. Where do you draw the line? Is a clean check that concusses someone and ends their career worthy of going to court? It's a legal play but that person is still out millions. How about a knee on knee hit?

Where do you draw the line?

Very simply..when someone blatantly goes after another player as did Bertuzzi, with obvious intent to do major harm. There's a major difference in a play that ends up in an injury when the intent was not so obvious as was the case here....this was NOT an accidental injury..there was an obvious intent to do harm...major harm. None of the other instances you point to are in the same realm of intent.

It is also a situation that brings up the old question that in cases like this, where the intent is so obvious, should the perpetrator recieve an automatic suspension which is equal to the time missed buy the vivtim? The victim would be deemed ready to resume play only by an independant medical board....During the period of suspension, the team of the perpitrator would be obliged to pay the victim the salary of the perpetrator. This system would do much to abrogate the need for lawsuits and other fines.

This might just cut down on the cult of retribution, which tends to permeate hockey at times.

The Bertuzzi attack on Moore was a cowardly and pathetic act, no question about that.  I'm a huge Canuck fan, and it just absolutely turned my stomach.  However, the only thing that could make this situation even more disgraceful and pitiful is Steve Moore filing a lawsuit.  It happened during the game, it needs to stay in the game.  Let the NHL deal with Bert however they see fit, but to go to court over it is just terrible.  Also, I don't want to hear about how Steve Moore will never earn a decent living at anything...I'd be willing to guess that he has pretty adequate insurance to cover this type of thing, and perhaps will even be receiving compensation from the NHLPA for several years.  If I'm way off the mark on this, please tell me, it's just something I've heard.

Another mental midget steps from the shadows... seems common amongst the Canuck fans, too much BC bud has effected their ability to see things from a logical perspective. I love to see you say that to the Moore family, look them right in the eye and give them your wisdom.

I refer to the mental midgets as those who can't tolerate others' opinions without calling them 'stupid'.

Funny how that works. Just how short are you up there anyway?

I had no idea that having an opinion contrasting from your own meant I was stupid, in fact that's a pretty ignorant comment to make.

The fact that your opinion differs from mine is irrelevant, what stuns me is that you stated in your original post, and I quote, "the only thing that could make this situation even more disgraceful and pitiful is Steve Moore filing a lawsuit. It happened during the game, it needs to stay in the game. Let the NHL deal with Bert however they see fit, but to go to court over it is just terrible."

What you have said equates to this, the assault is the lesser of two evils and Steve Moore should just go away quietly, and Steve Moore has no right to seek restitution and retribution, in a LEGAL fashion I might add.

"Also, I don't want to hear about how Steve Moore will never earn a decent living at anything...I'd be willing to guess that he has pretty adequate insurance to cover this type of thing, and perhaps will even be receiving compensation from the NHLPA for several years. If I'm way off the mark on this, please tell me, it's just something I've heard."

Compensation from the NHLPA? The same organization that stood behind the perpetrator while never publicly admonishing Bertuzzi for his actions and never making a statement of support to Steve Moore. They were nowhere to be seen until the punishment was handed down.

So he has insurance, Steve Moore worked hard to make it to the show and Todd Bertuzzi took it away in a spilt second. He will never play in the NHL again, and quite possibly never be physically healthy enough to play even recreationally. He has every right to take the course of action he has chosen and there is absolutely no disgrace, and it certainly is not pitiful.

How you equate a physical assault to an injury sustained from actual play is a leap not even Evil Kinevil would try to make.

Todd Bertuzzi should sit as long as Steve Moore is out. The NHL however will reinstate him and the courts slapped him on the wrist and if Steve Moore let it slide then justice would not be served. Hopefully, this will make players think before they act.

I have never called anyone stupid for having an opinion that differs from mine and I never will. In answer to your question KineticMinder... taller than you :D

2 QUESTIONS HERE

Why did Moore do this through court ?

Yesssss...indeed...just grab the money and run !!!

So if one is rich enough one can take any life away, pay the price and come out whistling ?

What's the price for a life ? Do you have a fixed fee ?

And by the way : I think it's a good thing that all this shit went to court.

It's sending a crystal clear message to all those goons : "there's a line here guys...cross it and your life will be hell"

How do we draw the line ?

Legally everything is based on the accepted risks.

Playing hockey (pro or amateur) means you accept the risks from normal hockey play situations.

As soon as the risk are superior to the normal situation, you have the right to ask for reparation.

I guess you'll all agree that punching someone's head from behind is definitively not a normal situation.

Moore then deserves reparation.

Clear isnt it ?

LMAO!! Yeah, I won't wait up for that one to happen.

DrMolotov brings up an idea I really like, and can remember hearing my dad rant about back in the 80's: If you put somebody out of action, you stay out for as long as they do. It's the "Eye for an Eye" rule. You make a dirty play or a cheap shot, and put someone out for 20 games, you're out for twenty games. End a guys career? Hang those skates up.

The only problem I would see is bringing up a no-talent player just to take someone out. If they lose their career it's no biggie. The other issue would be ensuring that it was an intentional thing, not just a result of hard play.

Mods - apologies if this belongs in the "Improve the Game' thread.

Hopefully Moore will donate any award to charity and thus end any questions that this lawsuit is merely a money grab on his part.

What do you mean "merely a money grab." The guy can't work anymore, he has a right to compensation!

Well, if Moore were to seek a settlement in court based on his future earning capacity in or outside of hockey, he will have to prove to the court that from a medical standpoint he really is physically incapable. Based on what I remember of his injuries in the month following the incident, this might be challenging to his case. The prognosis of similar vertebral injuries is quite good and from a legal standpoint, might not be seen as career threatening in court. Concussions are a trickier issue. There are diagnostic tests for concussions but even when those check out OK, one can still claim to feel unfit to work. This would be tough to demonstrate. Plus, Moore would also have to demonstrate that any neurological damage was caused exclusively by Bertuzzi, and that if he did suffer previous concussions, this would hurt his settlement.

His diagnosis might have changed since then, but I think a key point to bring up is people do not really know exactly, the extent of his injuries at the moment. So lets keep things speculative and not jump to conclusions, it will all come out eventually.

But I think, that if Moore was going to go this route, then in doing so he is essentially throwing in the towel for his professional career. In my mind, I think that the decision to give up your dream is a last resort and I dont think Moore would take that decision lightly. If he won a settlement in court and was in the future able to play professional hockey again, this would not look good and it might open himself up to a counter suit for Bertuzzi to claim his money back. Im not a lawyer, this is just my reasoned speculation. Sorry for rambling.

C

His diagnosis might have changed since then, but I think a key point to bring up is people do not really know exactly, the extent of his injuries at the moment. So lets keep things speculative and not jump to conclusions, it will all come out eventually.

But I think, that if Moore was going to go this route, then in doing so he is essentially throwing in the towel for his professional career. In my mind, I think that the decision to give up your dream is a last resort and I dont think Moore would take that decision lightly. If he won a settlement in court and was in the future able to play professional hockey again, this would not look good and it might open himself up to a counter suit for Bertuzzi to claim his money back. Im not a lawyer, this is just my reasoned speculation. Sorry for rambling.

C

There is only a limited window of opportunity to file the suit, at least that's what was said on ESPN. From what I hear around here, Moore is never going to be able to play again. Even if the symptoms go away, something hey show no signs of doing right now, he will still be at a significantly increased risk of another concussion,

The talk of a conspiracy and everything in the lawsuit from the Moore camp to me is prepostorous. It is probably just lawyers who no much more about the legal system then I do who have done this for their client.

That said, I believe Bertuzzi deserves this lawsuit, and he definitely saw it coming to him. Bertuzzi did one of the dumbest things I've ever seen done in a game of hockey before.

I wish Moore showed a bit more class, though, by accepting what most people I've talked to was a heartfelt apology from Bertuzzi or taking phone calls which Bertuzzi had placed to him, etc, though understandably, Moore would be pissed.

I understand there are limitations on the time frame of law suits and I hope that Moore gets a fair settlement. However, I hope he makes every effort possible to regain his health and play. If he can't return to the game, which was his livelihood, I say by all means keep the money, but if he manages to come back, I hope the money goes to a worthwhile cause for the good of the game.

Hopefully Moore will donate any award to charity and thus end any questions that this lawsuit is merely a money grab on his part.

What do you mean "merely a money grab." The guy can't work anymore, he has a right to compensation!

I'm not saying that that is what this case is.

However, whenever there is a case like this there are always cynics, like Markus Naslund in this case, who believe that the plantiff is just trying to get over on the system.

There have been numerous cases in the past where plantiffs have vowed to donate any award to charity to put those questions to rest.

All I was saying that if Moore is concerned about people saying those types of things about him, there is a way that he could end that kind of speculation immediately.

Well, if Moore were to seek a settlement in court based on his future earning capacity in or outside of hockey, he will have to prove to the court that from a medical standpoint he really is physically incapable. Based on what I remember of his injuries in the month following the incident, this might be challenging to his case. The prognosis of similar vertebral injuries is quite good and from a legal standpoint, might not be seen as career threatening in court. Concussions are a trickier issue. There are diagnostic tests for concussions but even when those check out OK, one can still claim to feel unfit to work. This would be tough to demonstrate. Plus, Moore would also have to demonstrate that any neurological damage was caused exclusively by Bertuzzi, and that if he did suffer previous concussions, this would hurt his settlement.

C

The tough part in this case is that I believe there was a statute of limitations of one year where Moore had to file the suit.

And everyone knows that it can take longer than a year for PCS symptoms to subside.

If it's the neck injury that doctors say will prevent Moore from ever playing pro hockey again, then that will clear up a lot of things for this case.

If it's the PCS, then things will get a little muddier because the effects of PCS are so random and can come and go without much notice.

Todd Bertuzzi attacked him from behind with intent to injure, PERIOD.  Personally, I cannot understand how all the people defending him can justify their position.  I keep hearing If He didn't this, or if he didn't that... if my Aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.  Its like the drunk who kills someone while driving home and uses the defence of being too intoxicated to realize they were driving.

If what happened to Steve Moore was done to you I guess you'd just say "its part of the game".... Horse$hit

I was thinking about what to post on this thread, but this prior post states my opinion better than I would have.

We can argue about whether or not Moor'es hit was cheap and intended to injure, but there can be no argument that The Canucks had an agreement to get Moore back and injure him.

These people who say he should let it drop and its part of the game would be singing a far different tune if I came up to them from behind and threw a full force roundhouse right to their chops, rendering them unconcious and driving their head into the ice with the full force of my body on top of them, breaking their nek vertebrae in 3 places.

It wasn't very far from being a wheelchair or a funeral for Moore.

I'd sue the guy who did it, and I'd DEFINITELY sue the coach who put out the bounty. and I'd sue the team that employed that coach and player.

So would Markus Naslund. And so would every single "tough guy" on this board.

You'd be an idiot not to. Who knows what kind of medical issues and expenses you may have 10...20...years down the road? 3 broken vertebrae is no joke.

You're wife would tell you to sue, your lawyer would tell you to sue, your teamates would tell you to sue.

There's a difference between a borderline check in a game and a pre-planned suprise attack on skates.