Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael9

is there hitting in in-line hockey?

I was just wondering if there was hitting in-line hockey cause i have never played competitive in-line before. At the end off my ice-hockey season our high school has reserved a spot in the in-line season. we are going to play in an Arena but after they take out all the ice, anyways i also have a few other questions.

Should i use my synergy's to play. will it scrap the blade?

Is the same rules as ice hockey?

Is there lots of slashing and obstuction?

thanks

1. suppose to be non-contact, but there's always some form of contact

2. yes it will scrap the blade... but only minor wear, lots of ppl in my league use ops

3. there's no icing and no offsides in hockey... 4 on 4

4. and usually the same amount of slashing in roller hockey as in ice hockey

You're better off using a shaft and ABS blade combo unless you have a few Synergy's to spare...

I put the hitting in roller hockey. Depending on the league and the refs, especially if the refs play and appreciate physical play, they usually are a bit mroe lenient on roughing penalties, which is what they give out for hits if its a no hitting league. Try to feel out the refs.

USARS rules, and USA HockeyInline rules, do NOT permit full body checking in inline hockey...although "pinching off" along the boards is often permitted, as well as some physical play in front of the net.

One of the problems in the various leagues, is just what was mentioned, the refs call if differently in different leagues or tournaments. This makes it somewhat more dangerous, because a player coming into a "non contact" game, may get run, and not be expecting it. Then when there is no call, because this particular group of refs, has decided that a certain amount of contact is ok, there is usually some form of retaliation from the player who was originally hit. Thinking he has been abused as per the official rules, he then runs the player who hit him..often from behind, and into the boards...This is where I see the most potential for injury by not applying the rules as they are written.

My view...either play it as it is written in the official rules, or play it "full contact"..but define how it will be played before any league starts or tournament is played.

As a result of the "no open floor contact" I also find that the refs seem to permit more stick obstruction in inline hockey than in ice hockey, or the full contact versions of inline hockey that are played at the semi-pro levels such as XIHL, or MLRH. In fact I see more stick related injuries in the non contact versions(usually from high sticks and slashes) than in the full contact versions.

I think because the refs have permitted an over use of the stick to impede skating progress in many of the "no check" inline leagues and tournaments, players have become far more careless with their sticks in these venues.

In the men's semi pro leagues where full contact is allowed, players play the body differently, and are less prone to using the stick to slow someone down. In addition in these leagues, fighting is allowed, although no longer "encouraged", as it once was, and when someone get's out of line with the stick, they are usually "taken to task".

In Aus there are varying degrees. I play senior A (2nd highest grade) and the guys that play Jnrs as well find it difficult when they first come over to adjust. As junior refs are very anal about the use of the body the juniors feel very liberated when they realise in Snrs they can get away with allot more.

It really makes for a more exciting and skillful game when the refs let things go abit. In saying that though, I copped 3 slashes on the stomach a few weeks ago, open ice and the puck wasn't in sight. By the end of it all I had 2 cuts on my face and my oppenent a broken nose... this is the price thats paid for over leniancy by refs in the game.