Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crosskore

Skating

I need some tips on how to train my legs to skate fast. Sometimes when i watch hockey i see people go so fast it blows my mind. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Go on the ice the more you can and do a lot of roller outside the ice...Skating is not just strenght. It requires a lot of technic...Look at players like Niedermayer and Fedorov, it seems so easy for them to skate because of their incredible technic...

Roller and ice use different techniques, so that isn't the best way to improve footspeed. Look up plyometrics on google.com and try as many of those workouts as you can. That's the best way to improve footspeed. If you can't improve your footspeed, at least work on improving the power you can generate from each stride.

Are you sure of this. I have a personnal trainer and he always says to me "the more you can be on your skates (ice or roller), the more you will gain in agility, strenght and confidence. He also told me that me that Fedorov is doing a lot of roller hockey.

Very different to be honest. Usually if you play a lot of roller (while previously playing Ice), it will take you a little while to get used to ice again. And I am sure, vice versa. You use a different type of stride and such.

For sure, but when you reach a good level of agility, it does not take a while to get use to the ice.

Are you sure of this. I have a personnal trainer and he always says to me "the more you can be on your skates (ice or roller), the more you will gain in agility, STRENGHT and confidence. He also told me that me that Fedorov is doing a lot of roller hockey.

When you got a lot of agility on your skates, your normally develop faster and stronger stride and quick footspeed.

Agility and footspeed are different, though most players who are good at one are good at the other. Most of the elite european players use plyometrics, especially the older Russion players.

Agility and footspeed are different, though most players who are good at one are good at the other. Most of the elite european players use plyometrics, especially the older Russion players.

That was my point. Normally, agility and footspeed goes together like you said.

They don't go together. The most highly skilled palyers have both but I see guys every day that have one or the other. You have to work on different things to achieve each skill and the question was how to improve footspeed. Stick to the damn subject. It's obvious you don't really have a clue, don't feel like you have to post.

They don't go together. The most highly skilled palyers have both but I see guys every day that have one or the other. You have to work on different things to achieve each skill and the question was how to improve footspeed. Stick to the damn subject. It's obvious you don't really have a clue, don't feel like you have to post.

So you think you can skate fast without good strenght and balance on your skates? And the subject was how I can skate faster. It's a thing to get strong but you can be the strongest and be slow as hell. I think techniq is the most important thing. When we are on our skates, we work all (technic, leg strenght, agility, footspeed). And in big plus, we have fun. To be good, the most important thing is to love what you do. Anyway, it may sound weird, but I really hate Canadian kind of training.

Speed and agility are two different things.

Think about a drag racing car vs. a rally car...

Or just think of Rico Fata.

Hahaha, I know what you mean.

Fata skates like a rocket but have poor agility

One can skate fine w/o good strength. But not really w/o good technique.

To be good isn't as simple as having fun. Hell, I have fun at ice hockey, but am not a good skater. No matter how many times I go on the ice, I will get the technique wrong; so therefore will never get better.

Canadian vs. European? I don't think its the difference btw night and day. We aretalking about hockey here.

How often are you playing on your skates and how many time, let's say per week. I'm talking of lot of time. I'm about 4 hours per day on skates. The winter is 4 on ice and the summer it's 3 hours on roller and 1 hour on ice (when I can be on ice in the summer).

Who cares what you think of Canadian methods? You can't generalize like that as there are many different training methods and they aren't limited by geography. Yes it was about skating faster, not about all of the other BS you brought up. Can you say 40%?

listen to me when i say this.

speed and agility are two completely different things.

Speed comes from leg workouts and plyometrics...lots of them. Agility comes from strength as well. You don't have to be strongest but you have to be strong as there will always be another guy stronger and faster than you.

for foot speed you don't rollerblade. it is completely different from ice hockey. you can be flying in roller and think you're fast, but the bearings help a lot. Plus without equipment, you can develop a bad stride.for foot speed you do ladder drills.

Don't ever suggest workout routines when you don't understand what you are doing. Plyometrics originated in russia, came here, andnow everybody uses them. European workout? no such thing nowadays

oh and by the way...on the ice everyday in the summer for that long and skating will not help your strength as you will lose a lot of weight doing that. Skate max 2 hours 2-4 weeks prior to trainign camp a day, but before maybe once a week.

I need some tips on how to train my legs to skate fast. Sometimes when i watch hockey i see people go so fast it blows my mind. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry the post got off-track. You have a good question and it deserves more attention than the other stuff.

I wasn't blessed with great footspeed but I've been able to make up for it by having a powerful stride. Going from blue line to blue line I may only take a couple of strides but I can catch a lot of people in my league because of the overall strength in my legs. I try to get as much out of each stride as I can, as I can't take as many as other people over a given period of time.

Plyometrics can help increase your footspeed but you should also work on pure leg strength as well.

sorry i got off track to rebutt kovy_Ribs but if you look at my post, thtose are ways to help your skating.

The only way to get good techniwue ifs for someone to teach it to you...very hard on your own. Took me two years to get a perfect stride for my style...and before that I thought I skated well, but apparently i was kicking my feet too high back when i was skating, but i changed that with help