Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

macpappy99

Best skate for off Ice Training

I am looking to get some skates for off ice training. I will not be playing roller hockey, but would like to use a roller hocky skate for the training instead of the normal in-line (or should I be using the normal inline?). I should be skating on mostly nice paved surfaces, with the occasional rough patches. I am in Houston and it does get really hot and humid, so I need something that can handle the moisture. Any help you can give me will be great.

i personally don't like them, but i hear any inlines with the bauer rocker chassis closely mimics an ice skate... so those would probably be ideal for off ice training

I think the occasional rough patches defeat the purpose of the rocker's mimicing ability, as they'll be off balance compared to ice and other smooth surfaces. I agree with letsgowings, get a mid to low line skate and run with that. Depending on how much skating you'll be doing should determine how high in a line up you go. I can't say enough good things about this yrs CCMs, but I don't know if those would fit your feet. CCM, Mission and Bauer all make decent skates in the 200 and less range, it's all how they fit from there

As far as fit goes. I currently wear a CCM 652P. I had to get the outside arch punched a little for the shape of my foot (kind of banana shaped) but other than that it fits great.

Id check out the CCM PF2's or PF4's. The PF2's are built mainly for outside, Both would be a pretty good skate to use. Mission also makes a skate just for outdoors. I believe its the HE 150.

I think I have it narrowed down to the CCM Vector PF6 and the Bauer 30-70 and I'm leaning towards the Bauer. I just wish there was more shops here in Houston that I could actually try some on.

As far as fit goes. I currently wear a CCM 652P. I had to get the outside arch punched a little for the shape of my foot (kind of banana shaped) but other than that it fits great.

That being the case, you might lean towards the PF6 skates. I've tried on and skated around in the PF6 and the 30-70, and the Vectors are a bit wider. The Bauer's aren't bad by any means, but the Vectors just fit wider feet a little better. Stiffness and durability wise, both skates feel good, and the Bauers are a bit taller if you feel you need the support.

Never wear in-lines for roller hockey. I know you said you're only using them for off ice training. However I like the support in the ankle of a hockey boot so I'd go for the hockey rollerblades. Anyway, I've seen some ppl with a hi-lo chassis with different combinations of wheels instead of using a rocker chassis.

I am looking to get some skates for off ice training. I will not be playing roller hockey, but would like to use a roller hocky skate for the training instead of the normal in-line (or should I be using the normal inline?). I should be skating on mostly nice paved surfaces, with the occasional rough patches. I am in Houston and it does get really hot and humid, so I need something that can handle the moisture. Any help you can give me will be great.

You can't beat a tennis court for off ice training. Smooth & flat. Just watch out for the nets & posts. :)

I've recently started wearing a pair of nike quest v-12's for ice, and I'm going to be wearing the rocker, but I need boots to put it on. Should I buy another pair of v-12's on clearance? Or is there another skate that nike makes that is close in the stiffness feel and fit for less? I've been wearing the rocker before, but I've just switched from a pair of vapor XX to the v-12's.

edit: I'll be wearing them for indoor and outdoor, if that makes much of a difference.

I've recently started wearing a pair of nike quest v-12's for ice, and I'm going to be wearing the rocker, but I need boots to put it on. Should I buy another pair of v-12's on clearance? Or is there another skate that nike makes that is close in the stiffness feel and fit for less? I've been wearing the rocker before, but I've just switched from a pair of vapor XX to the v-12's.

edit: I'll be wearing them for indoor and outdoor, if that makes much of a difference.

The Nike Quest V-force is actually stiffer than the v-12, but costs less.

Nike V-Force