Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bbruins8

What type of palm to get?

Shipping mine out today...talked to the same guy you did...Hard to understand but he said he could do MHS2 with same overlay, and new mesh gussets. We'll see.

The normal guy isnt there on Thursdays. Every day but Thursday, I called initially on a Thursday, couldnt understand that guy. Called back next day, and everything was cool. He ordered the MSH2 from Eagle and I shipped the mits.

bb,

Get yours back yet?? I called back on Friday and talked to somebody else. Said they'd be working on mine tomorrow (Monday)..

Great thread. Next time I need a blocker re-palmed, I know what my options are -- I don't tend to go through player palms all that fast. :)

I'm tempted to just go down and hack a big hole in my three-months old Nash palm just to be justified in ordering a goat or mustang one from Eagle... heh.

Anyone know if you can get the MSH2 palm on an easton pro stock four roll glove? or does it have to be an Eagle glove.

Going to send my gloves in for a new palm soon, had a couple questions:

1. Does the MSH2 / MSH2 overlay last a good while? I've had some Vector Pro's with goat/digital and wore through after about 3-4 months (on the palm and a couple fingers). Would like these guys to last until fall at least.

2. Do the mesh gussets make a difference? I've never had a problem with my hands getting too warm, but if it helps air them out...

Oh yeah...

3. Do they match the fit of your palms at Fixitbymail? By that I mean, if my palms fit tight stock, are the going to fit the same way when I get them re-palmed or do I risk having them looser?

Thanks!

I was also wondering the same questions as I am on my second pair of MIA's and the palms wear out for me in about 3 months i need a durable palm material was thinking MSH2 any input would be appreciated.

Pretty sure you can put MSH2 on anything...

Unfortunately, they don't do it. Here's what they wrote to me in regards to this -

"Unfortunately we are not allowed to install Eagle palms on other brands then Eagle. If there is anything else that you wanted done I'll be happy to answer any questions."

I then asked what other palm types they offer and he said -

"We can put clarino, cow leather for 42$. Goat skin, digital, Mustang (horse hide)are 60$. Clarino and Nash are about the same, but we are out of stock for the nash."

Anyone know how well Mustang performs? Is it similar to Nash and Clarino?

Unfortunately, they don't do it. Here's what they wrote to me in regards to this -

"Unfortunately we are not allowed to install Eagle palms on other brands then Eagle. If there is anything else that you wanted done I'll be happy to answer any questions."

"We can put clarino, cow leather for 42$. Goat skin, digital, Mustang (horse hide)are 60$. Clarino and Nash are about the same, but we are out of stock for the nash."

I think it's really thin so I imagine it would feel nice, but the durability may be an issue.

Well I'm glad I didn't send mine in last week as I would have gone MSH2 and then it would have run another $20 to get something else.

I ended up bringing my gloves to George's Shoe & Skate Repair in St. Paul, MN, which apparently also is known as HockeyRepair.com. They do leather and durasoft, which I believe is also clarino (single layer with another layer in the palm).

The clarino felt pretty soft, not terrible thin or thick but the same as you'd find on a high end glove. It's not the Bauer Dura-soft material which is super thin and slippery. The leather was tan in color, about twice as thick, definitely thicker than what I wanted, so I went the durasoft route.

I had a chance to see a couple of their repairs, and looked pretty good . Dropped it off on Saturday morning, picking it up tomorrow morning. Cost is $25 per palm (I only did one to see how I like it before doing the other). If you're interested, I'll post pics.

George's does great work, you'll be happy. Only drawback is they only offer two palm choices. I have ordered palms through Eagle in the past and have had George's put them on.

Well I'm glad I didn't send mine in last week as I would have gone MSH2 and then it would have run another $20 to get something else.

I ended up bringing my gloves to George's Shoe & Skate Repair in St. Paul, MN, which apparently also is known as HockeyRepair.com. They do leather and durasoft, which I believe is also clarino (single layer with another layer in the palm).

The clarino felt pretty soft, not terrible thin or thick but the same as you'd find on a high end glove. It's not the Bauer Dura-soft material which is super thin and slippery. The leather was tan in color, about twice as thick, definitely thicker than what I wanted, so I went the durasoft route.

I had a chance to see a couple of their repairs, and looked pretty good . Dropped it off on Saturday morning, picking it up tomorrow morning. Cost is $25 per palm (I only did one to see how I like it before doing the other). If you're interested, I'll post pics.

Please do!

Okay, picked them up on Saturday morning, went to the shooting range, then had a clinic Saturday night. Again, HockeyRepair.com, $25 single glove re-palming with durasoft clarino.

Before:

P1010003-4.jpg

After:

P1010022.jpg

Left (Goatskin/Digital):

P1010020.jpg

Right (Durasoft/Durasoft):

P1010021.jpg

First thing I noticed was that the palms were definitely a bit looser. This bugged me a bit as I like a tight fitting palm (between a Vapor and a One90 palm). Next time I'll ask if they can maybe stitch it so it fits tighter across the palm, I'm not sure if they can or not, but it seems like it would be easy enough to remove the material.

Second thing I noticed is that these palms are the softest, most luxurious feeling palms I've tried on. Even softer than the TPS R8 palms (which were previously the holy grail for me). Now obviously I haven't used these for long enough to determine how they feel over time, they were just incredibly soft and comfortable.

Now I had been using Powerflex grip tape, which ripped up the digital palms pretty quickly (that hole was after only a few months of use). I switched to white cloth tape with baby powder, which was great once I adjusted. When I brought these to the range to try out, I noticed the cloth tape with baby powder was too slick for the durasoft palm to grip. I ended up adding a thin layer of Powerflex to my grip, and this worked great. I had enough tackiness that it wasn't moving around, but I could let up and not have too much grip. I'll be keeping my eye on this to make sure the Powerflex doesn't rip these palms, but frankly, I'd rather repalm more frequently than have my stick sliding around when I've got the puck.

Performance on the ice was great. It did get kind of warm and I found myself taking the glove off to air out my hand, but it was just so soft and comfortable all night. As I said before, I'd like it to be tighter across the palm, but other than that, I adjusted enough that I don't think it will be too much of an issue.

So I'll update after I've had these for a couple months and give a longer-term verdict. But my initial impressions are that it feels like an UPGRADE over the goatskin/digital palms in spite of the looser palm.

I need to get my mitts replamed and I'm just looking for a little feed back on the options provided by fixitbymail.com. Since I don't have eagles I can't get the MSH2 and on the website they only list durasoft and leather. I'm guessing if you call in they can tell you the other options? I'm looking for a palm with good feel that is thin and reasonabley durable. Any thoughts on what might or might not work?

Here are the other options.

digging this up with another materials question:

I know Digital is pretty grippy, where do Goat Skin and Mustang come in on grippiness, supple feel, etc.?

I had some email conversation with an eagle rep a while ago while contemplating buying customs and some info on the palm she gave me was pretty insightful. Thought i'd share it with you guys as it seems to be a suitable topic. I excluded anything that didnt have to do with palms :

Hi Tina,

Please excuse my multiple replies. I have but a few more questions. I assume I am to add what material I want the glove to be anywhere on the page (Carbon, Nylon, Leather, etc.) I was also curious as to kangaroopalms were available. I am a little embarassed to admit i am fuzzy on what gussets are/do.

I understand that the x71 is the x70 with an extened inner arm cuff. Is this correct? I also hear split fingers are standard on the 2006 eagle line. Just making sure as it isnt illustrated in the spec form.

And would it be possible to get an estimate for these x70/71s? I am thinking the final glove will be Leather with Kangaroo (Clarino 2nd choice) palms and lock thumb. I doubt I will be needing full pro inserts.

Hello Mike,

That's no problem about the questions. I would rather make sure you are ordering exactly what you want instead of guessing!

If you don't specify which glove material to use we will make them in Portofino which is our standard synthetic leather that is used on all of our domestic gloves. Definitely specify a material if this is not the exterior that you would like.

I'm not sure what Kangaroo palms are, so I will say that I don't think they are an option. We have our standard synthetic (Nash) palm, Goat Skin, Mustang (which is a suede goat skin), and cowhide. The gussets are the material between the fingers (the joining piece between the palm and the exterior of the glove). They can either match the palms or you can choose to have them be a different material. Most people have the gussets match the palms for uniformity.

The X71 is the x70 with a slightly longer cuff. A couple of years ago the difference would have been about an inch longer cuff, however we have since modified the X70 to have more of a hybrid cuff, so the difference is about 1cm.

Split fingers are now standard on all of our domestic gloves. You can request to have a solid finger instead at no additional charge.

Because I don't do any sales with the public I don't have any retail pricing available. Any of our dealers will be able to provide you with pricing information. Sorry I couldn't help with that part.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Tina,

Thank you once again for your answers. Is there any way you could Reccomend a palm? I am a member of the "Modsquadhockey.com" forums and have been searching but couldn't find any solid definitions. I understand Goatskin is very popular on eagle gloves and have been reccomended most on that website. I have also read digital palms are very grippy, but not as durable. One person noted that some pros use Goat on the upper hand and Digital on the lower. Is this a possibility? I am also a little fuzzy on what Horse palms are.

Hello Mike,

The palms are mostly a personal preference between synthetic and natural palms. You can add a digital overlay to any of the palms; however it is strictly a performance feature and is not covered under warranty. For a natural palm I would recommend the mustang palms. It is the suede version of the goat skin palm so it is softer, however I find it to be more durable than the goat skin. If you are looking for the most durable out of the palms you would want to go with the synthetic palm. Horse palms used to be an option, however we no longer carry the material. The closest thing to that now would be the cowhide I believe. I would say out of the upgraded palms I see the goat skin and mustang the most. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.