Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skarbro

Safest helmets

It actually is surprisingly comfortable for how stiff it is.

Stiff shell on the outside and soft padding on the inside is the ideal combination to me.

I don't recall how the CCM fit...it wasn't good I know that.

I just got the 5500 so I'll have a good couple years to wait and see how the M11/S19 experiments turn out. Both have good marketing with some science behind them, just not sure which is better yet.

Possibly a dumb question, but could we see a situation where we have heat molded shell liners?

When I broke my fibula crashing into the boards at a high rate of speed, my 8k saved me from getting a concussion. There's been other times that I've been boarded head first into the dasher/glass and the helmet has done it's job.

+1 for the 8k

Possibly a dumb question, but could we see a situation where we have heat molded shell liners?

I wouldn't want something that hard surrounding my head.

Hardest hit to the head I ever received in hockey was when a guy who was flying down the ice took a spill and his stick went flying and tomahawked me right on the crown of the helmet. Cracked my helmet right down the middle, but luckily I had a new one in my bag from a purchase the night before. The helmet was a CCM V08 if anyone cares. It did its job.

If you wear a cage, don't try and be cool and do a college hang. It will only get your chin busted open. I learned the hard way.

Not to mention the flopping around is what distracts your eyes from the play and creates the perception they limit your vision. If it's still, your brain can jsut look right past it.

I have had 6 concussions to date. all coming in a bauer helmet. I had 5 of the six in an 8000 or 8500 and this season i switched to an M11 just to see if it really would work. I have been hit just as hard and actually do notice a difference on impact. I haven't had a concussion yet (know on wood) with the M11 and really like how protective it is. I will be using their helmets for a long time now. i am very impressed.

Our team was issued s9's at the start of they year, and those were awful. not just me, but more than half of our team got headaches after games from minor hits. I switched to an m11, and it ha been awesome. Very comfortable, and seems to absorb the impact really well.

From what I understand, the foams in the 5500 (bike helmet foam) is designed to crack to absorb the force of an impact. However, if you hit the boards hard and the foam cracks (as intended) you have nothing if you hit your head on the ice. Cascade's idea was to use a material that can withstand multiple impacts.

Just my limited helmet knowledge. Not a cascade rep or anything just love their product.

I tried on some helmets tonight, including the incredibly featherweight Easton S19. The S19 felt great, but it also felt like it would be pretty hard on impacts. It is as scary as some have made it out to be.

I ended up finding out that the Bauer 5100 fit me amazingly. It seems I have that kind of head. Some have chimed in on the 5100 but I'de like to hear more. I have a 5500 now and it just never fit me right.

Here is a link to icewarehouse review of the 5100 .

I own both the 5500 and the 5100 , size wise I use a M in the 5100, but with the 5500 I needed to get a L .

With fit, I personally feel the 5100 hugs my head a lot better, it seems to be better ventilated and the inner layer of comfort foam kind of molded to my head and is really comfy. The hex sorb is supposed to act like a epp-lite material , not to the same extent protection wise but similar idea. It is a light helmet, and my personal favorite. I have been banged up an driven into the boards wearing it and came out fine.

The 5500 fits a little more "bulky" for lack of a better word. With fit, this one fit me fine as well by going to a bigger size but I do not really like the comfort of the interior. The gel comfort pads work amazing up front and to the side but they are not "squishy" enough in the back for my liking. I took an elbow to the head ( cheap shot / not vicious but still dirty ) and the helmet was fine and I did not get fazed at all. The EPP is a great feature for protection but light bumps to the head are a little more noisy if you get what I mean.

It becomes a matter of personal preference I guess, I find myself using the 5100 7 to 8 times out of 10 because of its comfort level. I am not saying 1 helmet is better than the other because after all the 5500 is one of the most popular helmets in the NHL . Another thing to note is the adjustment system. The 5100 glides smoothly and is easy to use ( put it on your head, adjust, lock ) but the 5500 is a pain in the a$$ to work with. It rides on rails and is annoying to set properly, if you can even get it to click easily.

Sounds like we have the same heads. I am also a L in the 5500 and a M in the 5100.

I've decided on an Easton S19 after checking it out in person. The M was a tad too tight and the XL was too big, so I ordered the L. They didn't have an L to try on, but logically it should be the right fit. If it doesn't fit right, I don't have to take it.