Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gokdog

New Inline Junior Skates?

Hey guys,

Recently found this board and its wealth of information and have a question or two.

Currently my 10 year old is doing great with his the Bauer Vapor X60Rs that we bought last year, and recently updated with Labeda Swiss LE Bearings and Labeda Millenium Gripper Wheels. The problem is that he is 10 and growing, and will likely be needing new skates by December.

We are currently looking at the Bauer X90R and the Mission DS4s (Juniors), but both of these Junior models seem to be fairly different from the adult models that get video reviewed. The junior models use the Rink Rat Split XXX with Abec 9s (Bauer) and the MIssion Revision Static with Abec 7s. Additionally, is the junior frame in the Bauer still the ventilated?

My last question is that after our bearing and wheel upgrade, we saw significant performance increase and this feels like a step backward? Does anyone have any insight of new Junior products coming? or advice?

Thanks,

Dave

Compared to the Swiss LE's those bearing options are a step backwards.

If you got the new boots I'd definitely use the Swiss bearings and just keep the abec 7/9s for training/backup or possibly on sell them.

There are going to be some inline skate sales in the next month or two, as Mission and Alkali will be releasing new skates, so the older models will be closed out.

I'd suggest picking up a pair of higher-end closeout skates and keeping them until they fit. Best way to do it IMO

There are going to be some inline skate sales in the next month or two, as Mission and Alkali will be releasing new skates, so the older models will be closed out.

I'd suggest picking up a pair of higher-end closeout skates and keeping them until they fit. Best way to do it IMO

Do this. I got $500 skates for $180 a couple of months ago. They're two years old but still better than anything that was in my price range

Right now, this is what I am going to do, so many of the larger brands do not really offer a top of the line Junior skate, that Alkali RPD Max looks pretty inviting, especially at sub $200 potential, Fingers crossed.

Out of these (Alkali, Mission, Bauer, Tour), Alkali and Tour are the only ones who offer a comparable range in junior skates that are comparable to the senior ones. The other 2 seem to have downgraded their junior skates which is a shame when you have a family member who is a size 4 and not going to get any bigger. I don't know about Bauer but the last well spec'd skate Mission put out in the junior range was the Boss SE. Then Bauer cracked the whip and since then their junior skates have been low spec'd. My daughter skates in Tour Fishbone Lite Pros and they are a very good skate for the price.

ps - I just saw the Max sale where they are sub $200, if you can get them for this price then that is a heck of a skate for a fantastic price.

It was on fleabay, limited sizes only (by memory 4, 5, 11 and 12). I can't find that auction now so it has ended and I don't know if the op got the skates they were after. There is an auction for sizes 11 and 12 at $299 if you hunt for it and they are the size that works for you (11 Alkali = 10.5 Bauer).

Still on the prowl and looking for deals, so far only see size 5.0 in the RPD Max and he is a 6.5 shoe now :( and the prices are still $250 and up on all the sites. With a question toward fit, would the Adult 6 be too big for him? current 6.5?

Did find an older Mission skate that fits the profile of older high end skate, the Mission Axiom T9, I believe this is a 2011ish skate?

Curious what you guys think of this?? Also, looks like they only have E width, so fit could be an issue. Price is appealing only $120 or so.

Cheers,

You won't find them in half size, because half sizes in junior are not available in Alkali skates at the moment.

I do find that most people find Alkali skates to run small. I know I do. I am an 8.0 in most skates, and would need an 8.5 in Alkalis

The T9's were great skates as well. Can't go wrong with either, just make sure it is the proper size for him

Still on the prowl and looking for deals, so far only see size 5.0 in the RPD Max and he is a 6.5 shoe now :( and the prices are still $250 and up on all the sites. With a question toward fit, would the Adult 6 be too big for him? current 6.5?

Did find an older Mission skate that fits the profile of older high end skate, the Mission Axiom T9, I believe this is a 2011ish skate?

Curious what you guys think of this?? Also, looks like they only have E width, so fit could be an issue. Price is appealing only $120 or so.

Cheers,

What size skate is he in at the moment? How do they fit him length wise - laces out, tongue out, foot in and toes brushing the toe cap, how much space between the back of the heel and the back of the boot (use a pencil or slim type rod to see if it will slip down the back of the heel)?

We actually got fitted on some Mission DS4s last night, he wound up liking the fit of the 5.5 best. He had some room in the toe box still with his foot all the way back, doing the opposite ended up with about a half size of room in the back.

We may end up waiting a month or two for BlackFriday Holiday pricing, as his current Bauers "should" make it through this current session of Jr PIHA.

Thanks,

Did some more research the last few days, specifically on the Alkali brand, really like what I have read, and the great customer service I have been reading here, especially all the post by Justin.

Gonna wait for the release of this years skates and go from there, may still got for the bargain leftovers from last year, if we can find any, but this is a company we would like to do business with.

right now leaning toward Senior Size 6 RPD Shifts, would an eleven year old have an issue with the all 76s setup, vice his current hi lo Junior skate? I believe we are too big for the Junior 5.0 size.

Thanks for all the help!!

Gokdog, feel free to e-mail me directly at justin@alkalihockey.com or you can call the office at 949-427-5130. I appreciate you taking a look at the brand.