Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shooter27

Custom + vs. LS2

Hey all, I'm finalizing a custom skate order and I'm having trouble making up my mind between Custom+ and LS2's. I've skated on both and while I don't dislike the LS2 I haven't loved them either. Are there any major structural/performance differences between the two holders or steel other than the LS2's being 3mm taller?

I'm also thinking if I get Custom+ and later decide to go to LS2's the holes in the boot will already be there to access the steel connection if need be, whereas if I go LS2's first there will be no hole in the front of the boot if I later decide to go to a Custom+.

Thanks

Either way they'll have to get the drill out to sway the holders anyway since the mounting holes don't match up.

LS2 is stiffer and the hardware is easier to work with.

Custom+ is softer, the hardware is a paint in the butt and puts you more on your heels.

Best performance is all based on how you skate and what you like.

doesent the LS2 have a different turning radius as well? allowing you to turn quicker opposed to the tuuk custom...

You can have a Custom+ profiled to be like a LS2 if you wanted.

TBL, what do you mean by how you skate? Would one be better for a forward?

It doesn't matter what position you're playing. It matters whether you need or prefer a stiffer or softer holder.

Either can be profiled to match the other's specs the only thing that can't be changed is the holder's stiffness and of course, it's hardware.

With the Tuuk + holder, if you skate 3-4 times a week and don't get to dry your skates, pull out the footbeds, etc., the + hardware may get loose. Over time as you constantly tighten the blade in Tuuk + holder, the plastic will stress and stretch apart at the bottom where the screw sits in the holder. Eventually, add a little rust to the screw/nut and now when you try to tighten it, the screw spins inside the holder. The holder is shot and the holder has to be replaced. This is all a function of how often you skate and are able to take care of your skates. When guys bring in Tuuk + holders for a tightening, the first thing I look at is the bottom of the holder to see how stressed the screw is in the holder. Once that screw starts spinning when trying to tighten it, the job is a mess. I avoid doing it if the screw looks like its already stretched the holder.

The same problem can occur with LS but I see it rarely on well used skates. General maintenance on an LS is much easier.

With the Tuuk + holder, if you skate 3-4 times a week and don't get to dry your skates, pull out the footbeds, etc., the + hardware may get loose. Over time as you constantly tighten the blade in Tuuk + holder, the plastic will stress and stretch apart at the bottom where the screw sits in the holder. Eventually, add a little rust to the screw/nut and now when you try to tighten it, the screw spins inside the holder. The holder is shot and the holder has to be replaced. This is all a function of how often you skate and are able to take care of your skates. When guys bring in Tuuk + holders for a tightening, the first thing I look at is the bottom of the holder to see how stressed the screw is in the holder. Once that screw starts spinning when trying to tighten it, the job is a mess. I avoid doing it if the screw looks like its already stretched the holder.

The same problem can occur with LS but I see it rarely on well used skates. General maintenance on an LS is much easier.

I have seen that way more than I'd like as well. If only they had made the hardware just a little wider so it wouldn't spin. Would've saved us a LOT of time and headache.

TBL, one more question, what do you prefer? A holder with more or less stiffness?

TBL is....well....how do I put this.....a "large" guy ;) he is on the LS2's.

(Reading between the lines.....don't find him pissed off in a dark alley)

haha, that's spree. ;)

Yeah, I'm 6'1 240ish. Very powerful legs... I prefer the stiffest holders I can find. I wouldn't dare skate on custom+ because of the softness of the holder. My prolites flexed waaay too much on me.

BUT that's just my opinion, keep in mind that the custom+ is the most popular holder in the NHL.

I have custom+ holders right now, and the LS2's put you more on your toes. I feel like I'm always trying to bend my knees more with my C+'s, so do you guys think the LS2's would make me bend my knees a little more or is it just going to make me lean more forward?

if over 220+ i would go with tuuk + thats where the + comes from. :lol:

I've seen the ls2 fold on big guys all the time.

This goes directly against the logic of bigger and heavier people generally using stiffer holders.

I have custom+ holders right now, and the LS2's put you more on your toes. I feel like I'm always trying to bend my knees more with my C+'s, so do you guys think the LS2's would make me bend my knees a little more or is it just going to make me lean more forward?

Cobras?