Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interpathway

Home Theaters

About time they finished remodeling.

*Thockey17 pic*

I'm kinda starting to envy your life. The Bimmer and now this?

I guess you never saw the thread with the Ferrari.

I have a nice set up in my bar room that is also connected to my billiards room and a nice set up in my living room.

Our bar takes up the main part of the basement. The theater is in its own separate area towards the back of the house. Thats a whole 'nother story, though. My parents really went above and beyond with this house.

Is that black velvet around your screen, btw (THockey)?

Velvet? No. Its just plastic that surrounds the screen, to keep its shape i guess.

Bimmer = Beemer?

Technically Beemers are BMW motorcycles, while Bimmer are cars. Pronunciation is the same, though.

Ah, thank you for the clarification though. I only asked if velvet because I was told that was the top of the line border that won't reflect back an ounce (or ray?) of light. Looking to get some installed soon.. TH, what style of universal remote are you using?

Living room

37 inch Sharp Aquos LCD

Onkyo 6.1 (using only 5.1)

Bell Expressvu HD PVR

Pionneer HDD/DVD Recorder DVD player with upscalling

Technics 5 disc CD Player

Xbox 360 Elite

Canton 5.1 speaker set up which kicks @ss if you consider the size of the speakers

Basement/daycare

32 inch Samsung LCD

Bell Expressvu Digital PVR

I'm thinking of putting a computer on my TV, and networking it to my main machine so I can watch the videos and stuff I have on my Main computer without having to burn DVD's every time.

The only available input on the TV not in use is the Comp. In. RCA's/s-video have my DVD and Xbox on it and the HDMI has my Digital Cable.

I found this online when I searched for "VGA to Component cable":

sku_9853_1.jpg

If I can find one of these around here, is there any reason this won't work?

No reason that it wouldn't work. I do a DVI out on my video card to a HDMI on my HDLCD.

Any idea of those adaptor cables are remotely easy to find. Not sure I've ever seen them.

JR...what's the benefit of the one you posted over Spree's??? I'm guessing "not for computer use" has something to do with it *L*

The one I posted was 3 bucks on the site I saw...Ideally, I'd like to find them locally. That will be my quest tomorrow.

Ah...beat me to the edit.

$135 is a beat steep for this project though. Maybe I will buy Comp cable for my DVD and move the computer to the s-video.

Only problem w/ S-Video is that you'll have a crappy resolution.

I'll ask my boy tomorrow what he does. He has a 60' DLP connected to his computer. I do know that he has to cycle the hookup though, he's sharing it with his NES Emulator.

Only problem w/ S-Video is that you'll have a crappy resolution.

I'll ask my boy tomorrow what he does. He has a 60' DLP connected to his computer. I do know that he has to cycle the hookup though, he's sharing it with his NES Emulator.

Cool...let me know.

His DLP has a VGA and a DVI port. He goes straight VGA from the comp to VGA.

He said that you would need that converter box otherwise, and be forewarned - it won't look good.

His DLP has a VGA and a DVI port. He goes straight VGA from the comp to VGA.

He said that you would need that converter box otherwise, and be forewarned - it won't look good.

Shit. I'll see what I can find locally...that's way more than I plan on spending. My TV is much smaller than that (27"), so the loss of resolution may not be as bad as he describes.

Thanks for the info.

If your just looking to watch videos, just use your xbox (360 i assume) to stream them to your tv. I do it all the time and its super easy to setup.

If your just looking to watch videos, just use your xbox (360 i assume) to stream them to your tv. I do it all the time and its super easy to setup.

Nah, I'm old skool....it's not 360 :(

There is actually a lot you can do with a original x-box to give it greater capabilities. My cousin did something similar to what is on this site, unfortunately I personally have never done it but I can tell you the results are pretty cool.

There is actually a lot you can do with a original x-box to give it greater capabilities. My cousin did something similar to what is on this site, unfortunately I personally have never done it but I can tell you the results are pretty cool.

My buddy has a modded Xbox running as a Media Centre...it's pretty damn cool. But, by the time I get the hardware I'd need to do the mod you've shown, I can get the adapter that will run the DVI out of my Computer to the TV direct.

There are a few guys around here who will do the mod if you are not computer savvy enough to do it yourself...but they want like $150. The adapters/cables I need look like no more than 20-30 bucks...

There are a few guys around here who will do the mod if you are not computer savvy enough to do it yourself...but they want like $150. The adapters/cables I need look like no more than 20-30 bucks...

Go here if you want to softmod your xbox: http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbox/...30-minutes.html

I found that the hardest part was ripping all my dvds to my computer. Very time consuming.

My buddy has a modded Xbox running as a Media Centre...it's pretty damn cool. But, by the time I get the hardware I'd need to do the mod you've shown, I can get the adapter that will run the DVI out of my Computer to the TV direct.

DVI to HDMI or VGA will work. There's a good chance that this component to VGA thing won't work though. When I first got HD TV at home with my Bell 6000 receiver, it had component out and DVI out but my TV at the time only had component in and VGA in. The problem is that the Component input was not HD but the VGA was. I have ordered component to VGA cables, some DVI to VGA adapters and the works and nothing ever worked so I bought an LCD set. In your case, DVI to VGA should probably work as it is for computer use and not HD. I was told that in order for it to work on my VGA HD input, I would need the wiring in the cable to be exactly as the VGA input on my TV which was almost impossible to verify. You can also check www.monoprice.com for different cables, switch boxes or adapters. They usually have great prices and ship fast.

good luck