Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigDug

Suggest for a Knee Brace (Just Recreational Skating)

I tore my MCL trying to learn how to do a hockey stop years ago and was provided with a Donjoy brace which I've since lost - the doctor diagnosed me as having some common, slight knee issue that led to an easier-than-usual dislocation of the knee. Now that I'm skating again, I am very scared of having another injury and wanted to buy a knee brace that would provide support, but need not be the heavy-duty kinds I imagine you all use for hockey. I've read through a thread or two here discussing it, but again, I think the discussions geared more towards hockey-compatible braces (i.e. hinge profile, etc), and really would rather not shell out the big bucks for a level of protection I don't need. Are any of you guys familiar with knee braces and able to suggest ones to consider (and/or, as importantly, ones to stay away from)?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Without much knowledge, this Tru-Pull looks like its not too bulky (with the metal side railing).

Those "bulky hinged side rails" are the only thing that actually supports a knee in the manner you need based upon what you've just posted concerning your past injury. (Dislocation/lateral stability with ligament involvement. It doesn't matter if it was years ago, your knee will forever be prone to, at the least, MCL re-injury.) The brace you've linked to is for issues involving the patella (knee cap) and how it tracks. It won't do anything for stability of the ACL/MCL/mensicus/ligaments and other actual structural knee parts.

Now with the bad news out of the way, there are several "lower end" braces with hinged stays that should suit you fine for recreational skating. If you're a DonJoy fan (great product!), I've seen both the "Playmaker" online between $120 - $180. The standard DonJoy "Hinged Knee Brace" is generally under $100. If you're like me and just aren't feeling the love of Obamanomics these days and need even cheaper... I've seen offerings from Mueller, McDavid, Tru-Fit, and Shock Doctor at local "big box" sporting goods stores with hinged, metal stays for around $50. I actually wear one of these on both knees when I go for a casual skate. Other than getting a little warm (which they all do, and are meant to do for therapeutic benefits, being made of neoprene) it's just fine. It supports okay yet doesn't really limit mobility and even with the hinged stays it still fits under my pant legs just fine.

What an informative and helpful post. Exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks so much for this! And what do you know, the "Playmaker" was the exact brace I was sold (though at a significantly steeper price than its going for on Amazon).

Bauerfeind Genutrain S ...not made of neoprene , hinged, machine washable ....and once you use it for some minutes you'll forget you wear it .....around $ 140 ( converted )

i sprained my MCL last month, went through physio and all that, but needed a brace to get back sooner. I was told that it would be worth it to get a custom brace if my insurance would cover it (which it didnt) so i got a neoprene hinged, and im still wearing it just because i cant tell its on when it is, and it feels way more stable

I have a custom built DonJoy hinged one, which I no longer need - thanks to strengthening my knee. I found that the neoprene type, with adjustable "horseshoe" that fits around the knee cap helped a lot, but was replacing them quite often. I would think for recreational skating the neoprene slip on style would be fine, although - it probably really depends on the type of injury. Also - you have to make sure you don't depend on the brace as that is not good either.

Bauerfeind Genutrain S ...not made of neoprene , hinged, machine washable ....and once you use it for some minutes you'll forget you wear it .....around $ 140 ( converted )

Nice looking brace. I think I looked at them online last year, but never saw one in person (or knew anyone that had one). So, thanks.

Given how useful this thread has been, I thought to ask: are there any sizing quirks or issues I should be aware of? Granted, this isn't like fitting skates, but I imagine proper fit is important for proper support.