Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Davetronz

Removing adhesive/residue from jerseys

Hi guys,

My rec team decided to switch up the C's and A's this year for some fresh leadership and perspective.

I took out the stitching from the A's and C's without any issues, but realized that they were heat-pressed onto the jerseys in addition to being stitched.

I consulted with the company who made our jerseys who told me to simply work at a corner, and that the letters should peel off fairly easy without ruining the jersey.

They said that they had to press the letters onto our jerseys because the crests were a heavier weight.

I tried the method suggested by the company, but the letters were really stuck on there and leaving a white residue/outline as I was removing them.

I used a dress shirt steamer on the lowest setting for a few seconds to help loosen the letters a bit (which worked really well), but it didn't change the amount of residue left on the fabric (see picture):

DSC00198-2_zpsa19d594d.jpg

The company we got the jerseys from was unable to help with the residue. They suggested that we may have scorched the crests when removing them.

When I was removing the crests I noticed some small "burn marks" on the back side of the crests. I don't think I could have done this with a retail dress shirt steamer for a few seconds on the lowest setting, and if so, wouldn't the burns would be on the front side, where I was steaming?

Would it not be more likely to have been from their original heat press of the letters? The residue appears to be the worst on my assistant captain's jersey who said he put it in the clothes dryer once. I'm assuming this might have worsened the problem on his jersey.

Anyways, I need to clean up this residue as best as possible. So far I've tried the following, based on an Internet search, with absolutely no impact (positive or negative - and yes I did a spot test before using on a visible area):

- Washing with regular detergent.

- Washing with stain pre-wash.

- Clear nail polish remover without acetate.

- Goo Gone.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I was considering trying to find a color match with a permanent fabric marker/pen and lightly dab over the whitest areas.

Thanks in advance!

i honestly dont know if this would work with what you are trying to remove - but wd40 is great for removing tar and sticky goo from car upholstery/fabric without damaging anything

I have used a solvent I got at Stahls' to change numbers on jerseys. http://www.stahls.com/lettering-remover-solvent?mscsid=

It did a good job at loosening the vinyl numbers, but it left behind a cloudy residue where the numbers were. I was pretty bummed and figured I'd just live with it, but when I heat pressed the new numbers on, the cloudy reside vanished. I guess it turned clear or something. Not sure exactly how it worked, to be honest, but came out perfect. Might work the same way with this adhesive residue.

If you try that solvent though, beware, it is seriously bad to breathe. I usually don't worry about that stuff - I'm notoriously cavalier about safety. But seriously, even using it outside, that stuff got me light headed. Don't mess around with it - use in a very well ventilated place.

Update:

I picked up a bottle of Goof Off Professional, followed JR's suggestions and it took off 99.9% of the adhesive!

Even while working next to an open window I'm pretty sure I killed about a third of my brain cells.

I used a pair of rubber gloves too, which I'd recommend to anyone in the same boat. Be careful with this stuff!

JR, I am buying you a few beverages of your choice if our paths ever cross! Thank you!!!

I didn't want to start a new topic as this relates to my question. I just picked up a stick off of someone and there is a lot of tape residue on the shaft, would the goof off or goo gone be a good product to use to get it off? It's a grip stick with the extra gunk from when I took off the candy cane tape running down the shaft. Anyone know if those products are too stock for a stick? If so, any recommendations on how to remove residue? I also never used a grip stick so if the products removes the grip finish that's fine too.

I didn't want to start a new topic as this relates to my question. I just picked up a stick off of someone and there is a lot of tape residue on the shaft, would the goof off or goo gone be a good product to use to get it off? It's a grip stick with the extra gunk from when I took off the candy cane tape running down the shaft. Anyone know if those products are too stock for a stick? If so, any recommendations on how to remove residue? I also never used a grip stick so if the products removes the grip finish that's fine too.

I've used goo gone on similar items with great results