Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hockeydog

Adding padding to inside of skate

I am looking to add just a little padding to the inside of one of my skates around the ankle area. I've read on other threads that there is stuff called memory foam that can be attached. Where can I get such foam? Would an Arts/Crafts store carry? Also how would I attach? I am assuming some type of glue. And last but not least, if it is glue does that damage the skates liner? Thanks for any responses, I have skates almost tweeked to perfection, this should do the trick.

I know that TSR hockey in NH DOES do mods to equipment, included but not limited to extra padding in the ankle areas. I was looking to beef up that area on my skates at one time. Maybe you could contact them to ship your skates up there for the work? I'd leave that stuff up to pro cobblers or skate gurus with experience on how to do it right.

Are you trying to get a better fit or more protection?

Better fit. Heel on one foot can lift ever so slightly. I can keep it down by cranking down on waxed laces but ideally I'd like to have the option of having laces a little looser. Skates fit great otherwise, it is only on one foot and not a big problem.

I know that TSR hockey in NH DOES do mods to equipment, included but not limited to extra padding in the ankle areas. I was looking to beef up that area on my skates at one time. Maybe you could contact them to ship your skates up there for the work? I'd leave that stuff up to pro cobblers or skate gurus with experience on how to do it right.

Thanks for that. I may look into that option. It's a borderline issue so if I could do something on the cheap that would be my first option.

Interesting. I'll have to try some something from them. I have the Stable 26 socks and they are great with keeping my heal down. However, my ankles are so skinny that I still have to crank the top 3 laces down. I wonder if their ankle pad would help fill some of that space?

I have tried the Bunga pads, for some reason they didn't really work for me. I appreciate the suggestions to look at the Stable 26.

Just to cover all the options, can anyone answer my original question on adding padding to skates myself?

To OP... Do you happen to have SUPERFEET in your skates? While I love mine, I had to remove on the APXs cuz they robbed some volume. Took 'em out and the heelock instantly improved. Try calling TSR in NH, and ASK how they install the added foam. It may give you an idea to try it yourself, or bring your plans to a local cobbler. Ensure the local cobbler is of the Italian type, and sorta old too... :)