Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalisburyStreets

Standard and Tappered 2-Piece Stick replication

I recently started playing hockey in April and am still learning about equipment, both new and old. I understand that two-piece sticks are increasingly a thing of the past, but I’ve collected two identical shafts that are improvements over my current sticks. The only issue is that one is Tapered and the other Standard. They’re both Reebok 11k SicKick III pro stock shafts, identical in every way other than Standard/Tapered (must have been the same player’s since I bought them from an acquaintance whose son plays professionally – both sticks have the same numbering and identifying marks).

I paid $30 for the Tapered shaft and threw a Bauer P92 APX2 blade on it (paid $35 for the blade), so this is about a $65 stick that far outplays my Easton S13 Drury (I prefer the P92 as well). There are minor chips on the shaft, but nothing serious at all.

I paid $10 for the Standard (did not know it was Standard at the time). It’s in poorer condition as far as chips in the paint, but the same weight and everything. I have not purchased a blade for it yet.

I’m wondering if I were to purchase a cheap Bauer P92 (maybe the X.30 or something) or a similar Easton curve (Sakic) in wood or maybe the Mako 5, would my overall experience be different from a playing perspective when using the Standard stick? I’m not concerned about the speed of my shot (not very fast yet, I’m still developing my form), but will the shot feel different? I’m not sure how the lower kickpoint of a tapered two-piece behaves in terms of feel.

The point of creating a cheaper Standard version of my Tapered stick is to have a nearly identical backup stick on the bench. I’d prefer not to switch to a different blade pattern if my game stick broke. Again, as mentioned before, I’m quite new to hockey and want to become more comfortable with one pattern and how it affects my shot.

Any tips, thoughts, ideas?

Is there a difference between standard and tapered, yes. Since you already have one of each shaft, just get another P92 style blade and go with that.

Go with what Chadd said... get a standard P92 blade, and try it out. Who knows you might prefer the standard vs the tapered.

Either way, you will have a backup sitting on the bench in case you need to change your primary.

I've been using OPS for years now, and thinking of switching back to shaft/blade combo...

I agree with what others have said about getting a standard blade in a p92. See which setup you prefer. I use both standard and tapered shafts and don't really have trouble going from one to the other as long as the curves are similar. I'd rather use a high end, standard, 2 piece setup than a lower end OPS or wood stick.

So so true... In the past I've actually used shafts that were converted from broken top-of-the-line OPS, and they played much better than a low end OPS. Puck feel, shots and overall balance just felt much better with the shaft/blade combo.

Dont be afraid of trying out other manufacturers and what they offer. I've found that brands like Harrow make EXCELLENT tapered blades.