Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maki

Total Hockey in Kirkwood, MO?

I'm going to be going through St. Louis in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has any experience with Total Hockey in Kirkwood... I'm selling the skates I got, and going to an actual STORE (like I should have done in the first place lol,) so I was wondering if they had a good selection of low-mid range skates, since I'm a beginner and just getting into hockey, I don't need anything spectacular yet haha... So, is their selection ok? Are they knowledgeable or am I going to be dealing with some cracked-out kid who knows less than me? Are there any places around there you guys would recommend over them? Thanks.

I'd say its a good store with a wide selection of skates. It's smaller than other stores but still has a wide selection. Unfortunately you never know what you're going to get when it comes to salesmen. Last time I was in I had a teenager explaining to me that all of the skates fit about the same. . . .

Just make sure you try on a lot of different skates and a size range for the skates. Sure the employee may get annoyed you are trying on 15 pairs of skates. . . but if that's what it takes to get the skate that feels and fits the best, that's what it takes. A good skate fitter would have you trying on all different skates anyways to make sure you are getting what works best for you.

I have been to that store within the past year and the guys were very good and knew their stuff. We tend, however, to go the one in Chesterfield (which is off Highway 40) and about 15 minutes west of the Kirkwood store. It's a bit bigger than the first store and frankly, closer to my parents' home so when we come in to visit, it's just easier. I think there is one in St. Peters, depending upon where you are coming in from. I haven't been to that one at all. But the Chesterfield store that I have been to, the staff is good. I got my son's helmet there and some new skates. They fitted him, and saw through his hems and haws. So props to them. When I have been to the Kirkwood store, they seemed very cool. I have only gotten a stick there, however. Good luck.

Andy in Peoria

In St. Louis it's either Johnny Mac's or Total Hockey. They probably have the same sort of floor space and Johnny Mac's sells ALL sports and Total Hockey sells just hockey, so that should tell you something. The store in St. Peters is (at least it used to be, I assume it still is), co-located with their fulfillment center (where they send the orders out from) so I would think they would generally have the largest selection. You can check on their website to see which items are currently in stock at which store. It doesn't get any better than Total Hockey in St. Louis.

Both the Kirkwood and Chesterfield are good stores with staff that seem to know the product. I bought a helmet and visor at the Chesterfield store last time I was in town after trying on 8 or so different helmets. They took their time, made sure I got the right fit and helmet for me. I have shopped at both with no complaints.

Johnny Mac's is a long time St Louis fixture and is worth the stop as they sometimes have hard to find, unique items.

Not sure on the skates, but with Sticks the Total Hockey stores I have found tend to carry (or have in stock) the mid to upper end. Johnny Macs has been known for outfitting the teams/begginers and you may find more lower end options there.

The store in St. Peters is (at least it used to be, I assume it still is), co-located with their fulfillment center (where they send the orders out from) so I would think they would generally have the largest selection.

Not anymore. We have our HQ/warehouse in Maryland Heights.

The only stores that have a store/full distribution center (shipping/receiving) are Burnsville, MN and mine in MI. Other markets have either a standalone warehouse or split duties between two stores.

TJ is the manager at the Kirkwood store. I'm positive he can sort you out.

Ok cool, thanks guys. I figured that it would be a good store, but wanted to make sure before I went in to find I was dealing with kids hired of the street who knew nothing about it, or find out all they carried in-store was $500+ skates and I would have to awkwardly shuffle right back out lol.

If you are in town for a couple of days and Kirkwood doesn't have what you're looking for, but you see it on TH's website, most of the closeout skates will be in the warehouse, so in theory, they'd have it the next day.

Well, I'm going to just be heading through on my way to Indiana, so it's going to be a quick stop... Unless I get a hotel and camp out for a day lol.

Ok cool, thanks guys. I figured that it would be a good store, but wanted to make sure before I went in to find I was dealing with kids hired of the street who knew nothing about it, or find out all they carried in-store was $500+ skates and I would have to awkwardly shuffle right back out lol.

I had a good experience in St. Peters. Most of the staff actually play hockey. The selection is pretty decent. I think you'd be safe at any location.