Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RWB

Superfeet revisited- Is heel lock important?

I have a brand new pair of Mission NME Nine-1's that I am working on fitting right. I thought I would scout out Superfeet Yellow at my local sports store. I have a problem right now at the arch, but I believe it's a narrow boot issue rather than the bed. In any event, I stood on the Superfeet, and the thing that jumped out at me is how far toward the the heel the arch is compared to the factory beds. It actually felt awkward. The salesman said that the idea is to lock the heel. To be honest, I've never felt a need for super heel lock in my old skates. Has anyone else noticed the arch being shifted much toward the heel, and how would locking the heel help ones skating? Is this something one just becomes used to? And lastly, if heel lock was critical, why wouldn't more skate manufacturers incorporate this heel lock in their factory beds?

Well, I decided to buy Superfeet, but instead of Yellow hockey, I went with another version. I bought Superfeet FLEXthin in size 7.5-9 D https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals/flexthin To be candid, they looked better than the hockey version, with a gentler arch in what appeared to be the right spot. And they were half the price, in spite of appearing to be just as high quality as the hockey version. We'll see tomorrow if the gamble pays off. I installed them (needed a small amount of trimming) and spot heat treated my boots to make some space in the arches. Curiously, I took a micrometer to the Superfeet, and they were virtually the same thickness at the toe area and dead center heel as the original beds in the NME Nine-1s, and I think this is a good thing.

Heel-lock helps more efficient acceleration and maneuvering. If your heel can lift of the insole, you will loose power on every stride, which will make you tired faster, besides being slower. Also, you will be prone to develop deformities to your ankle bones.

Heel lock is about a proper fitting skate not the foot bed. A properly fitted skate will have heel lock, with or without superfeet.  Foot beds like superfeet can help with the fit of the skate, and promote proper heel lock. Skating without proper heel lock, regardless of superfeet or not, you can think of as being similar to running with your laces undone. You can do it, maybe even do it reasonably well, but you won't be at your best. And as mentioned above there's the possibility of developing foot problems. Do a google search on  Bauer bump AKA Haglund's deformity.  

Was your fitter referencing heel lock?(which puckpilot pointed out has to do with the skate) or cupping the heel?(which Superfeet do, better than the stock footbeds). The size of Superfeet is based on heel cupping (locking) as opposed to skate size.

Mmmm... there's no fitter in the strictest sense. I just bought the skates last week from an ad. I posted some questions here:

I had them baked and fitted at a shop, but the inside arch was still way too tight. I had decided to bake them a second time myself, just because I felt I could control things better, and I figured I might as well get new insoles since a lot of players do not seem to hold factory beds in high regard. I guess that makes me the official fitter at this point. The salesman (at a shop other than where I had them baked) mentioned heel lock as an explanation for the arch being positioned farther toward the heel. I have to confess the Superfeet hockey felt awkward, and that's why I went with the FLEXthin, mind you, I can always upgrade as insoles aren't going to break the bank.

In any event, after installing the FLEXthin, I spot heated the arch area yesterday  as suggested by Krisdrum in the other thread, and it was a complete success. I played tonight and had no pain or discomfort, which I think is good for the third time out? I heated the arch area and was careful not to heat the base or areas where materials join. I used my infrared thermometer to gauge the surface temp to around 85 degrees, and I stood on them. I know they say not to stand, and that makes sense when the whole boot is baked, but I felt confident that I applied heat only to those areas that could bend rather than potentially separate.

I can't say the new skates are helping my skating too much yet, but it's been thirty years since I had new skates, so I would imagine it's going to take more than three outings to see some benefits. I have to admit I did not pay much attention to heel movement, but will try to pay more attention to this specific aspect next time.

Is there any guess as to how many NHL players are using Superfeet Hockey?

I think the issues you're noticing are due to a misconception about how Superfeet insoles function. For skates, the yellow and Pro Carbon Hockey Superfeet are made to support the heel, not the arch. This is why you felt that the insole was "how far toward the the heel the arch is compared to the factory beds." This is actually how they're supposed to fit, and means you had a good fit that just felt wrong to you. It can feel kinda jarring if you've never worn Superfeet.

Obviously I can't fit someone properly without seeing them in person, but assuming that the heel cup was the right size, I think you had it right the first time with the Superfeet. 

Glad the spot heating seems to have worked. 

As others have mentioned, the heel lock the salesperson was talking about for Superfeet is different than the heel lock most folks refer to in the context of skates. 

Superfeet are heel stabilizers and I think when the salesperson said "heel lock" that is what was meant.  It doesn't sound like you were in a skate shop when you were trying the Superfeet.  Most people are using them in shoes that fit more loosely than skates do.  So the heel lock comment makes more sense in that context, as 1 factor might be the foot sliding a bit forward in other shoes.  That is typically not the case in skates unless your size and fit is way off.  That is one of the reasons for the design of the arch area.

Heel lock in skates is usually more of a vertical lock, instead of a horizontal lock.  Ideally your heel should not be able to lift inside the boot or have much if any side to side "slop".  A secure heel fit will provide better efficiency and control.  And reduce your chance of blisters or discomfort.

12 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Ideally your heel should not be able to lift inside the boot or have much if any side to side "slop".  A secure heel fit will provide better efficiency and control.  And reduce your chance of blisters or discomfort.

Here's my thinking on this point. It seems possible that the heel fit could be ideal without having to resort to Superfeet hockey. Believe me, I am glad to know of the specific problem solving aspect of Superfeet Hockey, I am just wondering if it's any advantage if the fit is correct already, which must be theoretically possible. Mind you, given that Superfeet offers a respectable return policy, I might give them a go regardless.

4 minutes ago, RWB said:

Here's my thinking on this point. It seems possible that the heel fit could be ideal without having to resort to Superfeet hockey. Believe me, I am glad to know of the specific problem solving aspect of Superfeet Hockey, I am just wondering if it's any advantage if the fit is correct already, which must be theoretically possible. Mind you, given that Superfeet offers a respectable return policy, I might give them a go regardless.

I think you may be overthinking this a bit.  Fit is fit.  Could SF help with heel lock?  Maybe.  if you already have heel lock with the stock beds will SF help?  Maybe.  Or they could lift your heel and create less heel lock. 

As you said, beds are cheap compared to other equipment. 

However, I don't think you will find any significant difference or advantage to SF "hockey" insoles and what you've already purchased, assuming the heel cup size is appropriate and the same in both.  I don't believe SF significantly changes their feel cup mold or sizing from model to model.  The use a letter scale to indicated heel cup size.  Those molds should be the same regardless of which model you buy.  The difference is the rest of the foot bed materials.  Thickness.  Layers.  Material type.  Etc.  I don't believe there is any "hockey special sauce" in the SF hockey compared to their "non hockey" models.  The only difference I see is the perforations near the toe.  And I own and use some of their other products also designed for rigid soled tight fitting shoes.