Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

2017 Warrior replacement blades

10 hours ago, A2rhino said:

This does raise a thought; Do you think the broken in whipped out shaft is why Brett Hull used a two piece setup up until he retired? He could get the shaft to where he liked it and then throw in a fresh blade. I do think new sticks always seem to feel the best after a skate or two.

Based on the stories of how picky Hull was with his sticks I think we can only imagine what he preferred or expected out of his sticks. I think @JunkyardAthletic did work with Hull and might be able to shed some light on Hull's stick requirements.

That being said I own a pro stock Hull z-bubble and its a thing of beauty. Its tough to explain but the shaft doesn't have the kick of a one piece its more of a boomerang feeling when you're shooting, if that makes any sense. You put pressure on the shaft to load it up and the release is more like the stick whipping the puck then say a pop from a low kick point. Tough to describe but the only other shaft I've used that felt comparable was an Innovative Novius.

6 hours ago, the_game said:

Based on the stories of how picky Hull was with his sticks I think we can only imagine what he preferred or expected out of his sticks. I think @JunkyardAthletic did work with Hull and might be able to shed some light on Hull's stick requirements.

That being said I own a pro stock Hull z-bubble and its a thing of beauty. Its tough to explain but the shaft doesn't have the kick of a one piece its more of a boomerang feeling when you're shooting, if that makes any sense. You put pressure on the shaft to load it up and the release is more like the stick whipping the puck then say a pop from a low kick point. Tough to describe but the only other shaft I've used that felt comparable was an Innovative Novius.

I was watching Modano highlights on YouTube the other day, and I think you can see what you're describing when Hull has the puck, especially in his powerplay passing. He really has the motion for snapping the puck around with that shaft.

20 hours ago, start_today said:

I've been rethinking the place of 2 piece sticks in my life, and how that effects my world. 

When the specs say a stick is "fused," it's just a 2 piece with a fancy blended paint job over the tenon connection, right?  Is there noticable difference in play between a fused one piece and a two piece? 

Usually fused one-piece sticks ensure that the connection between the shaft and blade is tight and consistent with the minimum amount of bonding agent. Theoretically, a two-piece stick that is glued just as well as a fused one-piece would have very similar performance.

I cant stand the near-total market disappearance of 2-piece sticks. When i was younger, and now especially playing in adult leagues, i always broke blades before breaking the shaft. On my 2-piece sticks i can typically do 2-3 blades before the shaft gives out. Between beer leagues and drop in, 95% of my shots are just snappers.

Now it's gotten to the point where i buy almost any quality RH blade i can find, and now shafts are getting as difficult to find. I've ALWAYS used Modano/Zetterberg curves, but now im having to learn other patterns just to continue using whatever blades i can find. And 90% of blade patterns are a steeper lie, which is most difficult to adjust to for me.

4 hours ago, shenny88 said:

I cant stand the near-total market disappearance of 2-piece sticks. When i was younger, and now especially playing in adult leagues, i always broke blades before breaking the shaft. On my 2-piece sticks i can typically do 2-3 blades before the shaft gives out. Between beer leagues and drop in, 95% of my shots are just snappers.

Now it's gotten to the point where i buy almost any quality RH blade i can find, and now shafts are getting as difficult to find. I've ALWAYS used Modano/Zetterberg curves, but now im having to learn other patterns just to continue using whatever blades i can find. And 90% of blade patterns are a steeper lie, which is most difficult to adjust to for me.

I feel your pain... believe me.

9 hours ago, shenny88 said:

I hear you on the lie. I've used Modano and clone blades for the last 20 years and just this past season started trying other blades. The steeper lies just screw me up.

I too am a Modano or stick-has-to-be-way-too-short guy. With that pattern I can cut a stick to be a couple-three inches below my chin barefoot. Any higher and I have to keep chopping, and it ends up ridiculous. I'm curious to try out the lie 4 Iginla and Modano from BASE for that reason.