Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chromechaser

Pro Stock Skate Sizing

I am familiar with the differences in retail sizing between the Bauer lines regarding width and depth but what about the prostock skates?  Just as an example is a Prostock Nexus 1N D width skate the same width and depth as a retail 1N D width which we know isn't a true D width?  

Also, my son's foot fits a Supreme 10.5 D width and general boot shape really well but he needs just a little more depth.  Any recommendations for other skates to try?  The shop didn't have the Super Tacks or any of the Tacks line in his size but I was thinking that would be a logical one to try.  Any others?

Thanks in advance guys.

I believe the boots are the same from pro stock to regular. Usually they add different cushioning or a different tongue or something like that but I don't believe its boot shape related... Unless they're Patrick Kane's or something and I'm sure they're quite a bit different cause I think they 3D mold like how True does.. Don't quote me on that.

What shop are you going to? I'm from Langley and see you're from Surrey so I'm curious.

I was in Supremes in my old skates.. Along the line at some point, the boot changed so they didn't fit me as well in the new Supremes. The super tacks were the best option for me and I love them now. Very similar though. I think the top eyelets don't wrap around the ankles as well which was what didn't work well for me, but the boot around the rest of the foot felt fine.

19 minutes ago, chromechaser said:

I am familiar with the differences in retail sizing between the Bauer lines regarding width and depth but what about the prostock skates?  Just as an example is a Prostock Nexus 1N D width skate the same width and depth as a retail 1N D width which we know isn't a true D width?  

Also, my son's foot fits a Supreme 10.5 D width and general boot shape really well but he needs just a little more depth.  Any recommendations for other skates to try?  The shop didn't have the Super Tacks or any of the Tacks line in his size but I was thinking that would be a logical one to try.  Any others?

Thanks in advance guys.

If the skate is a custom skate, the width is the width, irrespective of model. 

So, a custom Nexus D is a D. Unlike the retail model Nexus.

Thanks JR.  I kind of thought that might be the case.  So that would make a pro stock Nexus or Vapor D very close in width to a retail Supreme D?  I guess the depth would be custom too then?  Sounds like it would be a bit of a crap shoot buying sight unseen.

45 minutes ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I believe the boots are the same from pro stock to regular. Usually they add different cushioning or a different tongue or something like that but I don't believe its boot shape related... Unless they're Patrick Kane's or something and I'm sure they're quite a bit different cause I think they 3D mold like how True does.. Don't quote me on that.

What shop are you going to? I'm from Langley and see you're from Surrey so I'm curious.

I was in Supremes in my old skates.. Along the line at some point, the boot changed so they didn't fit me as well in the new Supremes. The super tacks were the best option for me and I love them now. Very similar though. I think the top eyelets don't wrap around the ankles as well which was what didn't work well for me, but the boot around the rest of the foot felt fine.

I get most of our stuff at Cyclones in Surrey.  Just looking to get a higher end skate without shelling out $1000 plus for a kid whose feet are still growing.  Thought prostocks might be a possibility but without knowing what customizations they had to begin with not sure it is worth the gamble of buying without trying on first.

12 minutes ago, chromechaser said:

I get most of our stuff at Cyclones in Surrey.  Just looking to get a higher end skate without shelling out $1000 plus for a kid whose feet are still growing.  Thought prostocks might be a possibility but without knowing what customizations they had to begin with not sure it is worth the gamble of buying without trying on first.

I bought my Supremes at Cyclone Taylor in Surrey too. Honestly if I were you I would take your son to try on all the skates at the Hockey Shop in Surrey (It burned down but it's now in the old Best Buy in that area) and try on all of the skates they have including the Tacks and see his best fit then find a used pair on craigslist or SidelineSwap/Ebay when other parents are selling their kids' who's feet grew for way cheaper than retail. 

Another alternative is Play it Again Sports in Langley. I got a pair of APX2's for my wife for 150 bucks; turns out their too stiff for her so I sold them for 200 US on SidelineSwap and made quite a bit on is after exchange. I've also found a lot of nice top of the line stuff there for cheap. 

Sorry for speaking about too much Vancouver-area for other readers.

25 minutes ago, chromechaser said:

I will begin this argument by saying a kid whose feet are still growing doesn’t need a $1000 skate. That’s what mid-upper models are for. 

59 minutes ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

I will begin this argument by saying a kid whose feet are still growing doesn’t need a $1000 skate. That’s what mid-upper models are for. 

I get your point and no need to argue but at over 6 feet and developing power if I can find something slightly used or pro stock for the same cost or cheaper than the mid/upper levels which are still 7-800 plus tax...why not?  Don't get me wrong though, a pair of slightly used Supreme s190's wouldn't be so bad either.  One of the other reasons I was thinking pro stock was that if a pro stock nexus D width was about the same width as a Supreme but with a little extra depth, that might be a really good fit for him.  And a lot cheaper than a retail Nexus 1N.  

1 hour ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I bought my Supremes at Cyclone Taylor in Surrey too. Honestly if I were you I would take your son to try on all the skates at the Hockey Shop in Surrey (It burned down but it's now in the old Best Buy in that area) and try on all of the skates they have including the Tacks and see his best fit then find a used pair on craigslist or SidelineSwap/Ebay when other parents are selling their kids' who's feet grew for way cheaper than retail. 

Another alternative is Play it Again Sports in Langley. I got a pair of APX2's for my wife for 150 bucks; turns out their too stiff for her so I sold them for 200 US on SidelineSwap and made quite a bit on is after exchange. I've also found a lot of nice top of the line stuff there for cheap. 

Sorry for speaking about too much Vancouver-area for other readers.

Play it again is really hit and miss for stuff that's still in good shape.  He's can squeeze a few more weeks out of his current skates so we'll hit Cyclones and the Hockey Shop and see what we can find out.  Thanks.

Personal opinion only.

Skates and sticks are the two things I feel people need to be the most picky about. I buy pro stock sticks, but I'm very careful about what I buy. I try to ensure the flex, pattern, height, etc., is perfect before I drop the money. If I'm in a pinch and need a stick, I go to my LHS and get a mid-range stick for about $150. Which is the most I'll spend on a stick. I want to know what I'm walking away with.

Skates even more so in terms of being picky. I will never, ever buy another pair of pro stock skates. I bought one pair for $500, and as soon as I put them on I knew I made a mistake. On the flip side, I went to my LHS and did the Bauer 3D scan, and it told me I needed Supreme skates (I've been wearing Vapor for 12+ years). I put on the 1S and knew immediately I had the right skate. So I got them. And I won't look back... These skates fit my feet perfectly, and I've observed a noticed improvement in my skating.

Don't get wrapped up in pro stock = better. Mid to high range skates from your LHS will be just as good if not better than any pro stock skate, IF THEY FIT YOUR FEET. The key is trying on a lot of skates and finding what feels the best. I've gone through five pairs of skates in the past year until I found a pair that fit me perfectly. I wouldn't have gone through so many if I went to my LHS from the start and had a well-trained associate spend time to help me.

Your son wears a 10.5 skate. To me that signals he's older and playing HS or College hockey. If so, maybe True skates are something to consider, if you are willing to drop the money. Otherwise, spend a couple hours at a LHS and find the right skate, because it could make or break his game.

5 hours ago, FlyChicaga said:

Personal opinion only.

Skates and sticks are the two things I feel people need to be the most picky about. I buy pro stock sticks, but I'm very careful about what I buy. I try to ensure the flex, pattern, height, etc., is perfect before I drop the money. If I'm in a pinch and need a stick, I go to my LHS and get a mid-range stick for about $150. Which is the most I'll spend on a stick. I want to know what I'm walking away with.

Skates even more so in terms of being picky. I will never, ever buy another pair of pro stock skates. I bought one pair for $500, and as soon as I put them on I knew I made a mistake. On the flip side, I went to my LHS and did the Bauer 3D scan, and it told me I needed Supreme skates (I've been wearing Vapor for 12+ years). I put on the 1S and knew immediately I had the right skate. So I got them. And I won't look back... These skates fit my feet perfectly, and I've observed a noticed improvement in my skating.

Don't get wrapped up in pro stock = better. Mid to high range skates from your LHS will be just as good if not better than any pro stock skate, IF THEY FIT YOUR FEET. The key is trying on a lot of skates and finding what feels the best. I've gone through five pairs of skates in the past year until I found a pair that fit me perfectly. I wouldn't have gone through so many if I went to my LHS from the start and had a well-trained associate spend time to help me.

Your son wears a 10.5 skate. To me that signals he's older and playing HS or College hockey. If so, maybe True skates are something to consider, if you are willing to drop the money. Otherwise, spend a couple hours at a LHS and find the right skate, because it could make or break his game.

Thanks and I agree with the sentiment.  He is 14 and just finishing his second year of Bantam hockey.  If I knew he had stopped growing I wouldn't mind shelling out more for a higher end skate.  Going the pro stock route was not so much to get a better skate but to get a higher end skate for less $$$$.